“HOTEL FROM HELL-UNDERSTATEMENT!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia Hotel Stockport

You added Britannia Hotel Stockport to your Saves list
Britannia Hotel Stockport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   67 Dialstone Lane | Offerton, Stockport SK2 6AG, England   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Stockport
Southwater, United Kingdom
“HOTEL FROM HELL-UNDERSTATEMENT!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

never again worse place to stay. ignorant staff apart from two ladies joanne and naomi
filthy,noisy.
didnt unpack clothes as drawers etc were too dirty to put them in
fire alarms going off for hours and when asking a staff member should we evacuate we were told no. i have it on good info that there was actually a fire in the boiler room!!thanks for risking our safety !no hot water from friday-sunday ppl walking out in the middle of the night
gypsy kids allowed to roam about riding bikes in reception and down corridors and management do nothing.place needs closing down!
the list is endless of the disgraceful state and way customers are treated
breakfast bar had paper towels round it one morning as something spilt-why was it not cleaned up?never anyone there to ask to get coffee etc and always ran out.told no more museli when i asked as bowl empty,porridge looked like wallpaper and couldnt get off spoon to get a bowlful.
all people were told to do was write to head office-fact is they do nothing so i suggest you all who have complained write to abta or even trading standards for false advertising as the pictures must be of when it first opened!

Room Tip: MY TIP-DONT WASTE MONEY GO ELSEWHERE.Hasnt changed in years from when ppl complained.Staff need trai...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Ballymena, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

This was the worse experience I have ever had. From entering the room which was dated, basic smelt of smoke. The hotel was not even clean, dirty and the pictures from website so misleading. Asked at reception if they had an odouriser or air freshener and they went no. Not even asked if something was wrong? When visited the convenience store across the road they knew what actually I wanted with the air freshener, this was a common occurrence.
The bar in the hotel doesn't open to 5.30pm so had to leave and go elsewhere. When I returned to the hotel at around 10pm the reception covered in folk eating Chinese, Pizza or take out.
I went to bed around midnight after having a few drinks with my colleagues who we're staying in the hotel too. I couldn't get to sleep as the noise from people shouting, partying or whatever was unbelievable. So I spent the night not sleeping to 2.50am when the smoke alarm went off. I went out of the room to my horror bed sheets on the floor of corridor outside my room, folk naked on the corridor male and female, money being exchanged and I couldn't believe what I was seeing the rooms opposite being used to sell sex. I went out downstairs and no one from the hotel was there to be seen or account for residents. The fire exit at the end was open which was the avenue how the people selling and buying sex got the people in and out.
I was traumatised as a 36year old but young kids were there and should never have witness this, the fire alarm sounded a total of 29 times in approx a 2 hour period.
In the morning when the day staff came in I along with others requested to speak with the manager to be told he was not in until later. I informed the guy on reception to the events of the night previous and he was not a bit shocked or perturbed by what I was saying. I would advise anyone to avoid this hotel and I would never visit again or any Britannia hotel even if I was paid.
The manager was not in the hotel at all on Sunday apparently when I contacted the hotel and advised to email him.
I can't even say this was because it was cheap our party of 6 paid £330 for 1 night and breakfast was on top of this. I will now be complaining to Britannia as the experience was a disgrace.

Leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

This is quite simply the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. The rooms were shabby, dirty and poorly maintained and this applies to the whole hotel. The standard room included a tv from the 1970s that didn't work and the 1st night of our stay, we were kept awake by a constant dripping noise coming from upstairs. When we complained in the morning, we had no word of an apology and the manager was extremely rude and refused to refund us any money. They 'upgraded' us to another room which smelt really strongly of cigarette smoke. We complained again and still no apology. The gave us keys to another room which was better by the standards of the other rooms but was still dirty and really shabby. On the second night we were woken up at 3am by a fire alarm. We got dressed and left our rooms to find there were no staff members on hand to evacuate the building and guests were just running around like headless chickens no sure what to do or where to go. We were told by other guests that it was a false alarm so we went back to bed. We were then kept awake for the next 2 hours with alarm going off repeatedly. I went to reception to ask what was happening and to express my frustration and anger at the situation to be told that it was an electrical fault. When I asked for the manager I was told that he would be in in the morning. I asked for him to be contacted immediately and the member of staff refused. I went to reception in the morning to speak to the manager to demand a refund due to the fact I had had no sleep for the 2 nights that I was there and was told that the manager was on a day off. He had chosen to leave inexperienced staff to deal with the barrage of complaints from the previous night's fiasco which I found outrageous. I would never stay in this hotel or any of the Britannia hotels after this experience. This hotel is a health and safety disaster and is not fit for purpose and quite frankly it should be shut down! We paid £170 for two nights in this hotel and we have yet to receive a penny back from them.

• Stayed September 2013
BELFAST
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at the Britannia in Stockport 28/09/13 and whilst approaching the front door the entrance was littered with cigarette butts ...the tone was set. The reception area had several couples eating carry outs from a chippy? The room stank of cigarette smoke and was in need of an overhaul.. 70s furniture including the portable tv. The night was dominated by rowdy parties in various rooms..doors banging, shoutingand singing and was capped by the fire alarm going off at 2:50am ...28 times in total with room light flashes to accompany the racket! No sleep in Stockport!
Stay if you wish but expect Nothing!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We arrived in the hotel about 4.30 pm the person on check inn was unhelpful and disinterested.Hotel was dirty and shabby sofas were down to the foam. No hotel bar open until 5.30 pm but we had to leave and get out of the place because it was so smelly.Trip was one night to attend an event; Bedroom was dated to say the least, floor dirty dead flies in wardrobe bed linen thankfully was clean but smelt of stale smoke.cushions stained No air freshers available at reception so had to buy some in a shop. On return to the hotel that night people were eating various types of takeaway in the lobby. Observed very strange activity from window opposite fellow traveller has already detailed.Parties and fighting went on all night. No one answered when you called reception but at least our phone worked my colleagues was not even wired in. Soiled linen lay all night in corridors and people running about unclothed. Fire alarm started around 3 am and after approximately 28 alarms it eventually was silenced around 5am. No staff checked residents and we were not evacuated total confusion. Breakfast looked disgusting so not risking that as felt bad enough with no sleep and the effects of stale smoke inhalation.Should have checked this site before booking but would not have believed anywhere could possibly be this bad. Would never stay here again even if they paid me. Think this would be suitable for Gordons Hotel Hell programme but think he might struggle with this one. Also very conveniently no manager available to deal with the multiple complaints the next morning and staff not interested

Room Tip: Room in another hotel
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Booking Ref. 127816221 Brittania Stockport Hotel.

Our stay lasted approximately 2 hours before checking out, weaving our way through a thick smokey haze of drunken hoards of vomiting 20+ females. Two hours earlier we had been charged £115.00 to stay in what was billed as a cosy Spa hotel "situated in a quiet district close to Stockport"!

Our tiny, overheated bedroom was situated over the exit of the function rooms and was the meeting point for all the excited smoking revellers, hence it was not even possible to open the window. Despite this it was impossible to sleep and were forced to check out to another hotel in order to get some sleep.

The food, "a succulent hot table buffet" according to the brochure was appalling. There were insufficient staff for the number of guests packed into this hotel. The hotel manager, Mr Dutton, was very understanding and helpful but advised us to contact head office to obtain a refund as refunds could not be actioned at the hotel. Subsequent phone calls to try and speak with a supervisor to organize this (a Mr Nello) only resulted in further frustration as he adamantly refused to put us through to anyone in authority to sort a refund, leaving us with the only alternative of taking out a small claims action in the courts to obtain a refund.

Be VERY cautious of booking this!!

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Terrible hotel, has to be the worst we have ever experienced. Very run down rooms and public areas.
Gangs of drunken Hen and Stag parties. Many eating Pizza and other types of takeaway in the hotel reception area and bars.
Room like a 1970's time zone. TV set out of the arc.
Found someones dirty old sock in the room.
Room just old tired and grubby.
Bathroom old and damaged. No hot water on the night we stayed.
Fire alarm at 3am, set off by drunken yobs.
It was the only room we could get in the area that night.
Never going to any of the Britannia Hotel's again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Britannia Hotel Stockport? Share your experiences!