“After a long walk” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
“After a long walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This entry is for the last Friday in October, when my wife and I went for a long walk at Lyme park and then onto the Red Lion for our lunch.
The 36 hour onion soup is lovely and you can choose as a taster or as a starter and our Belly Pork and Shepherd’s Pie were tasty and very hearty.
The Beer is very good and there is an excellent wine list by the glass and by the bottle.
Very good, friendly service.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Bakewell, England, United Kingdom
“I wish this restaurant was closer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family and I have been to the Red Lion a number of times and never been disappointed with the food quality and service. It is a little more expensive but you get what you pay for and this is very good value with a great atmosphere.
My 20 year old daughter begs me to take her here when we go to Manchester.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic food - fantastic staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We went for our office Christmas lunch on 21/12 and weren't disappointed. Having endured less than mediocre christmas fayre in other local establishments in previous years it was a welcome change to enjoy such quality food at such a reasonable price. Without exception everyone commented on how delicious their meal was, my turkey, ham & mushroom pie was superb and the sticky toffee pudding was divine. The surroundings were tastefully decorated for the festive season and it was nice not to have cheap crackers and silly party hats cluttering the table. The staff were friendly and attentive too and I hope we book again for next year. I shall certainly be returning in the new year

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Over priced pub grub.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Went there today and found the food average. Had fish and chips at £14.95 and to be honest I could have got better at the local chippy. There also was a 10% tip added into the bill which I do not like also £1.50p for a lime & soda?. The place was clean and smart as were the staff but the food was just not up there.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pilster, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Dave

Thank you but !

PLEASE BE FAIR AND ACCURATE TO TRIP ADVISER REVEIWERS

Three things

1. Our Fish and Chips is only £12.95.. is 200gms of FRESH fish bigger than the plate usually & served with a dish of homemade tartar sauce with plenty of capers and gherkins etc, a big quarter slice of fresh lemon. Hand Cut Chips and mushy peas served with local bread from Cowburns made fresh daily with a 113 year old yeast pulish YOU DON’T GET THAT IN THE CHIPPY !
2. The service charge is discretionary
3. £1.60 for a pint of lime and Soda is pretty reasonable I think .

There are usually a minimum of ten staff on and we do try hard to please.

Regards

Steve P
Stockport
“Had to join trip advisor to say thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I visited the red lion with my husband recently and it can be summed up in one word..... Perfect. The staff gave a warm and friendly welcome and we were shown to our table. The food was lovely and not your average pub grub , this is high quality produce and looking at the menu they use local suppliers too ( Cowburns bakery across the road) . The French onion soup was sweet and gooey with the melted cheese crouton sticking to the sides of the bowl which just had to be scraped off , the confit duck was tender and went lovely with the sauce. My husbands opinion was the same , he had the pâté served with Cowburns bread and the corned beef hash of which does not resemble anything like the rubbish out of a can , chunks of tender beef with potatoes mixed together to make a thick juicy hash with a runny fried egg to pop over the top. Anyway enough rambling .... THANKYOU RED LION

• Visited December 2012