“Seems To Be Under New Management - Not For The Better” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Seems To Be Under New Management - Not For The Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Unfortunately the beer selection since my last review has all but gone, now there's only one guest ale on at any time and that's normally run out.

The friendly jolly (Australian?) chap who seemed to be the manager has been replaced by rather faceless under-skilled bar staff, the food is also really rather expensive for the location and quality.

Downhill fast unfortunately, we'll still nip in for a drink but that's it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Stockport, United Kingdom
“Poor service and indelible food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I booked a table weeks ago to celebrate Fathers Day. When we arrived we were shown to our table, without menus or the offer of a drink. Fifteen minutes passed before we went to the bar to order and bring back our drinks. It took another 10 minutes to get the attention of a waitress to ask for menus. We were told that they were only serving the set menu or Sunday roasts. We had to wait a further 10 minutes, and ask another passing waitress, to order. We placed our order and the food was fairly quick to arrive but we were very disappointed and dismayed with what was served. The steak was ordered medium, but was virtually rare in the middle, and there was no peppercorn sauce. The chips that accompanied the steak were cold and greasy. The cranberry, sweet potato and caramelised onion tart was heavy on pasty and dry with hard pieces of sweet potato. The sides of seasonal veg were burnt and the BBQ chicken from the children's menu was swimming in BBQ sauce, so much so hat my young daughter could not eat it, despite scrapping most of the sauce off. We had to ask the waitress again for he drink included in the child's menu package.
No one checked on us during the meal and it took 20 minutes after we'd finished eating for the plates to be cleared. I booked he table as I've previously enjoyed visits, and had brought family that were visiting for the first time. We were all in agreement that due to food quality and service, none of us would be returning again

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire
“Valentine Special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had eaten previously at the March Hare and also called in for the occasional pint as they sell good ales. The staff are always welcoming and the lay-out inside is more interesting than many modern pubs. They have created areas of communal space and more intimate places too.
So I booked the Valentine's Day meal and my wife and I were chauffeured by my daughter. It was a special menu but I think that the regular menu here is quite imaginative anyway. Everything was served with a bit of extra thought and creativity and we enjoyed a thoroughly good evening. The staff were always there when you wanted them, but still allowed us to feel we had had an intimate night.

Visited February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and poor quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This used to be a great place for a reliable steak or pub lunch. No longer. The food is of questionable quality, the staff unhelpful and everything is overpriced. I ordered a steak and they didn't ask how I would like it cooked. Garlic mushrooms used to be a reliable starter but they've massively reduced the portion size. Service can be very slow.

It's been a few months since my last visit, so the place might have improved, but there are better, cheaper, places down the road in Cheadle Hulme.

Visited September 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We recently went here for an evening meal with my in laws. The evening started well, friendly staff, nice atmosphere & a good choice on the menu. It all went a bit wrong from there on in.

We had been waiting about 20 minutes for our food when the waitress came over to say that the chef had made the wrong salmon dish & were we happy to have that or did we want the one we had ordered. As they had made salad and we had ordered a full meal we asked for the original order. The waitress apologised and offered my boyfriend's father a drink for the wait, nothing was offered to the rest of us who also now had to wait.

The food finally arrived. Everyone else's meals had clearly been kept under the hot plate & were lukewarm and hard. The salmon used for the salad had clearly been reused for the second dish & was burnt to a crisp and barely edible. My boyfriend's mother's plaice turned up with no veg or sauce despite being advertised as having samphire & lemon butter sauce. The plate looked totally anaemic & I can't believe any chef would be happy to serve that. When we pointed out the lack of veg they brought the smallest pot of peas a good five minutes into the meal.

We won't be returning which is a shame as the staff are nice & the location is lovely.

• Visited May 2013