“Pub Grub” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Pub Grub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had to book as it gets very busy.The staff are very polite, not very quick though we had a long wait between courses, due to it being busy.It was also very noisy not a place to sit and relax and have a chat.

Visited April 2012

58% Recommend
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Improved So Much, Better choices on the menu and the amazing cake bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have visited The Woodthorpe on several occasions. The last time I ate there was before the refurbishment I noticed the standard of food had dropped immensely compared to the lovely home made standard I had previously experienced. I went again on Fathers Day and it was superb massive portions and great value, the menu had been updated and now you can choose off the whole menu for the 2/3 course a one drink offer. We had our desserts to take away they were amazing they have a whole cake bar now with yummy cakes like Baileys Cheesecake, Mars Chocolate Cake, Giant Choux Bun etc. You can’t expect much more then that for the prices, it’s not just your usual bog standard pub grub.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“droping standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

been going to the woodthorpe for many years has been a great place to dine.

But have been dissapointed on my last two visits.

food and service has gone downhill very

disapointing

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed following the Refurb”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I have been a loyal customer of the Woodthorpe since I have lived in Manchester and was slightly surprised when they shut it down to refurb - it had always appeared cosy and comfortable (and definitely not shabby) before. Its a nice building and felt like a nice pub with good food and service. What I particularly enjoyed was the option of table service or an order at the bar style of restaurant within the same building, which meant that on a sunny day I could order my food at the bar and sit outside, or on a chilly evening relax in the slightly more formal (but still comfortable) restaurant.

However, since the refurb a few things have made my experiences at this place less enjoyable. Firstly, the addition of the carvery to the Woodthorpe in a separate space (formerly a function room) sounds in theory like a good idea. However, when we arrived we were asked if we wanted the carvery immediately (we hadn't had a chance to look at the new menu) and told if we decided to sit in the former "normal" seating area we couldn't have this option. So we opted to sit in the carvery area and check out what changes had been made. We were slightly confused that there were different areas with different menus within one place.

The decor inside has been done in a very modern style which is in someway a shame because it takes away some of the cosy feel mentioned above. The addition of the function room made the menu options available quite extensive and this was confusing for us and the waitress, who had to check several times to get it right (though I'm sure as we visited shortly after the change this is probably better now). The food itself was fairly average but the meal deal offers meant that a three course meal is relatively inexpensive and so this wasn't a deal breaker for me.

One important point to note is that when we returned for another day to sample the carvery (I didn't on the visit above) we were told despite the menu offers the carvery was removed on a weekday (now offered Saturday and Sunday). As we probably wouldn't have gone despite wanting a carvery this was quite disappointing.

We also had an issue with our bill in that the card machine didn't work, so my partner had to drive to the nearest cash point to pay our bill, leaving me behind for ten minutes as collateral. The manager's were very apologetic throughout this and did attempt to fix the problem so again - not a deal breaker.

All in all, I like this place and really want to be as loyal as I used to be in terms of a local food option but the few issues I have had have put me off in the short term. Maybe over the next few months I will venture back but at the moment I'm exploring other places around Manchester.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bury
“Amazing value, tasty food, terrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

I went to the Woodthorpe on Friday with work for a meal out. Are table was booked for 5 and it wasn't particularly busy when we went in. Most of us had 3 courses, you really can't complain at 3 courses for £15 with a drink.

We ordered fine, and our starters and drinks arrived within a reasonable amount of time. I had the duck with noodles and vegetables, it was really delicious and had plenty of duck. The plates were taken, then a while later we were asked if we were ready for our desserts, to which we said no but you can bring our mains! Mains arrived a while later, I had the chicken in pepper and mushroom sauce, it was pretty tasty but nothing compared to the starter. Plates were taken then asked if we were ready for dessert, we asked for ten min. We were then left for literally 45min. Eventually a waitress came to clear last of the plates so we asked for coffees and dessert. The tea pot and cup arrived pretty fast, but no milk, we kept asking and asking for the milk and everyone else's coffee but nothing... My colleague eventually went to get her own milk but it had been so long the tea had gone cold, so we asked for a fresh pot and eventually got our coffees and desserts at least an hour after ordering them. It was 8:10 when we left... I took my pudding home Mars cake it was delicious.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere