“A great evening with great food” 5 of 5 stars

0161 798 5841
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Aumbry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Prestwich
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Prestwich, United Kingdom
“A great evening with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Reviews on here seem to veer from the massively enthusiastic to empty-stomached cynics, so I thought I'd chip in.

I took my partner as a treat for her birthday in January this year. We ordered the 6 course taster menu (no wines).

On arrival you go upstairs to a shabby chic reception area where you get a couple of little appetisers, then down for the main event.

The food was what I considered to be excellently prepared and presented - the Scotch Egg with Bury Black Pudding was worth the price alone. The grapefruit posset was marvellous - we enjoyed the theatrics of the sherbet!

Ultimately, this is a taster menu. Anyone expecting some kind of gourmet Desperate Dan cow pie event should stay away.

Aumbry is a real asset to Prestwich and Manchester.- we hope to return and sample the 9 course for my birthday.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Constantly interrupted Pretension”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Outside not impressive but in a bad area - inside equally lacking character and atmosphere for which there is no excuse .Went with friends and 9 course tasting menu with selected wines seemed the right choice . Accept that explaining the food and wine is part of the experience but the manner in which it was done lacked any respect for conversations being had at the table . Accept that portions are small but this took that concept to a new level . The food was not impressive with many of the stated flavours failing to be recognisable and the wines neither complementing nor being impressive in their own right . Left with the impression that the cost of the produce consumed was less than a portion of fish and chips and I'd been conned a little . A restaurant for people happy to be convinced they're food buffs and pay for the privilege - for me "the King has got no clothes " .

Visited May 2014
manchester
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My first visit to Aumbry but not my last. Others have commented on the small size of the place (- less it is) and the price (yes it is not cheap) and the portion size (the portion size is not what you might get at a Harvester carvery) but that is to miss the point. What Aumbry offers is exquisite cooking in an intimate but informal setting. There is little doubt the food here is top-class - Mary-Ellen's ability and CV shine through and she can compete with and shame many other chefs and she is in Manchester. The whole experience was delightful with efficient staff, well thought out dishes cooked to perfection and excellent wines. If you want gut busting portions and cheap prices go elsewhere. If you want fine dining cooked by someone who plainly knows what she is doing give it a go (or three).

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, U.K.
“Good food but small portions.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Our first time here for lunch. Great welcome and staff very attentive. We had four course lunch and were served small appetisers whilst waiting, all very tasty. Very helpful with wine choice and clearly good knowledge. Food was good apart from the fairly tasteless pollock main course. Portion control evident and reminded me of my first experience of nouvelle cuisine in the eighties - I was still hungry after the meal. Overall enjoyed the experience and will return in the future.

Visited May 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was very excited when I was told that I had a reservation at Aumbry, I have wanted to try the restaurant for some time. I did the like the venue and thought it was very bijou, and the service was very good. The big let down for me was the food and the size's of each dish. I have had the tasting menus in both Manchester House and the French so I am aware that you don't get masses when ordering this kind of menu, but the potions for Aumbry were tiny. We also had to complain about the fish dish as this was over cooked, the chef agreed and this was knocked this off the bill. So my overall experience of Aumbry was very disappointing, for the price of the meal I was expecting something amazing and they fell well short of this.

• Visited May 2014