“Excellence is just standard to this restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

0161 798 5841
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Aumbry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Prestwich
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Excellence is just standard to this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

After telling my wife I was out on the lash with friends on the 29th of December, she then told me how upset I must be as that date is our wedding aniversary, oops, as you can imagine the upper high ground was soon gained, how do I get myself out of that hole. I did it by booking lunch at this wonderful venue it was an experience only matched by various Mitchlin stared restaurants arround the world I have dinned at, incredible I cant quite put in to words what a superb lunch we had. Mo divorce papers served either but there's time...lol.

Come on Mtchelin do you know nothing where is there star.....

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Continues to match excellent innovative real food with fantastic wine.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Continues to match excellent innovative real food with fantastic wine. Own baked bread. Matched wines with good explanation.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We went on a Tuesday evening and had the seven course festive menu. The food was excellent and the service friendly and efficient. I had to drive so was unable to drink but I will return and have the tasting menu with matching wines. The portion size is quite small but not out of the ordinary for a restaurant of this type.

Essex
“On the expensive side but the food is excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had eaten at The Aumbry twice before. We did not check the Saturday night menu and it was a fixed price tasting menu which possibly suited us slightly less than A La Carte. To get one direct criticism out of the way - our pre-dinner drinks - a large glass of white wine and a G&T - were pricey - nearly £20. It's all there on the list but still, I would say, about £5 more than is probably justified.

Now the food is uniformly first class - the best we have ever eaten in a restauarant although we are not "fine diners". We don't eat hare (such lovely creatures) but the waitress happily exchanged this for black pudding and quail's egg which was excellent. I've said this before, but don't go to The Aumbry to fill up on meat and vegetables, it's not that kind of operation. But there are lots of touches around the small portions that made up the six courses so we didn't go away hungry.

The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and the atmosphere is really nice.

The wine list seems to have had a serious makeover and is very interesting indeed. You don't see a ready to drink Penfold's Grange much and it's only a pity that we couldn't afford it! We had a very good bottle of Margaret River cabernet sauvignon (£57) and were amused to hear the waitress tell us, before she opened it, that we ought to know that it was the last one, since "some customers like to have two bottles".

The bill was around £200 with a reasonably generopus tip. This was OK but it is the only thing preventing me giving the occasion five stars. I think it is worth noting when they do cheaper set menus. This may sound a bit mean but, hey, times are hard. I cannot imagine that anyone would be disappointed with the quality of the food.

• Visited November 2012
manchester
“Perfect dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

4 of us wanted a dining experience not just a meal. That's what we got. We opted for the 9 course taster with wines to match. The food was beautiful and adventurous in combinations. It's nice to try new ingredients such as beetroot in a dessert. The wines were perfectly matched along with brilliant, knowledgable staff. I love the fact a meal can last over 4 hours. That's how it should be. Looking forward to our next next visit!!!