“Tired but Charming” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Oldham
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Tired but Charming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We booked a twin room via Lastminute.com for half price (normally £127). At the reduced price I would probably have given it 4 stars. The room was generous enough but a little worn with mildew around the edges of the bath and furniture which looked as though it had seen better days (or shabby chic if you prefer). The beds were comfy (the best of any previous hotels, my wife claimed) but some extraneous nocturnal noises (plumbing?) might disturb the light sleeper.
The staff is attentive and courteous without exception. The prices for meals are fairly steep with breakfast coming in at just short of £15 per head. For the full price of the room, I would expect breakfast to be included!
We stayed for just one night and for the money we paid it was a good experience overall but considering the normal price is double what we paid...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Atherton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We visited The White Hart today for the first time to celebrate my wife's birthday. The restaurant came highly recommended and it didn't disappoint. The service was second-to-none and the food was out of this world.

I enjoyed the venison while my wife had the fish and chips. Both were superbly presented, perfectly cooked from fresh and tasted wonderful.

I'm afraid I can't comment on this establishment as a hotel as we only visited the restaurant.

We will definitely be returning to eat again - and next time with more family members!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Overall we enjoyed our 2-night stay here; friendly staff, super bed and really nice breakfast. But for just shy of £130.00 a night the room was a bit below the standard I was expecting. Potentially a lovely room, but grubby walls, tatty paintwork, poor repairs and some furniture that was to my mind a bit below par. It by no means spoiled our stay, I just think that at the price things need to be sharper...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

The reason why it's called a 2-4-1 deal on the Monday nights is because you get 1 portion of food divided by 2 people. Don't go with an appetite! don't get me wrong the food is loverly and the folks on duty are real nice too but they kind of get the joke as well and both wine waiter and table waiter struggled to stifle a giggle when we suggested we may not be needing a doggy bag for the leftovers. Seriously though this restaurant is in T'Oldham lad, we never really allowed Nouvelle Quisine to take off this far North and the really Big couple of couples on the table next to us were definitely overheard "hitting t'kebab shop on way home",.

• Stayed August 2012
Clitheroe, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

have eaten here on several occasions, good food nice setting priced like a city centre fine dining venue, but this is a fine gastropub with food and service that can match up to the pricing structure , has a brasserie section , which is less formal and a formal dining room , and even has a private dining room which i once used for a birthday party and the venue made no extra charge for use of the room, all dishes are good ,place doesnt really have an achilles heal, menu is well writtten and thought out , has enough dishes on it for there to almost certainly be something to your taste without being one of those menus which are several pages long, which i tend to find are a great read which the kitchen cant follow up with good execution, some meals ive eaten here have been better than others, but i can honestly say ive never had a dissapointing one all in all very very good

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed here for the night earlier this week and had a lovely stay. The room was clean, spacious and I loved the shower. I ate in the restaurant in the evening, and the food was excellent - especially the guinness ice-cream! Breakfast lovely and the staff friendly and welcoming. The only thing I would say is the bedroom was very warm, but I'm sure I could have resolved that had the bed not been soooooo comfortable that I couldn't be bothered to get up and either open the window or switch the fan on. Great hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We had the Monday night 2 for 1 meal in the restaurant. I have to say this was excellent. The lobster risotto was gorgeous and the hake was to die for - the best I have ever had. Well done White Hart - on a par with Nutters in Norden which we love too! We went to the bangers and laughs night a couple of months ago too which was great - lovely to have a place like this as our local becasue we love good food!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlesBrierley, Manager at The White Hart Inn at Lydgate, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments.
Charles Brierley

Been to The White Hart Inn at Lydgate? Share your experiences!