“Nicer than expected” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park

You added BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ashton Road | Bardsley, Oldham, Oldham OL8 3HX, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Nicer than expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have visited Smokies Park several times over the years - to the club, the bar and to the different restaurants that have been on the site. These have always been fine, though for some reason I had (wrongly) never had a high opinion of the hotel itself. The only reason that I can possibly think of is down to its location, midway between Ashton and Oldham town centres, next door to pretty much nothing.

My partner and I were attending a wedding reception so decided to stay over too. We were pleasantly surprised by all aspects. Check in and out was friendly and efficient. The room was a good size and well kept, comfortable bed and good television. Bar service was quick and efficient. The room that the reception washeld in was lovely.
The only apparent downside to our visit was that we felt that the food and drink were overpriced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your view. I was very pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations. Smokies has a lot of history and memories for many in the local area. As you mentioned, we used to have a night club, which was converted to a fantastic wedding venue about 6 years ago.

I have had a few guests that commented that we were far better than expected which leaves me to wonder why the low expectations. We are part of BEST WESTERN that demand a high level of standards, which we always exceed in every audit.

I shall pass on your kind comments to the team

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We booked a prem inn in Manchester @ £139 wow just because Robbie Williams was in concert @ the Etihad stadium so we canceled and looked on booking .com and we found the best western in Oldham for £90 with breakfast no brainier in our minds
The hotel is of a good standard for the one night we stayed after all we were going to see Robbie Williams yahoo.
The staff were very help full and so friendly attitude and always with a smile the rooms aren't massive but clean big
bathroom lots if hot water and bed was firm, we found the room on the warm side no aircon ground floor so we had the window open but due to a wedding going on we had to keep it shut.
We had a lunch time meal good size cheep enough and good quality too.
Once we came back after the concert we went to the bar for a drink ordered a lite snack as you do and once again just the right amount and fresh.
Breakfast was served in the restaurant good choice fresh help your self we both ordered smoked salmon and eggs not bad bit dry in the eggs but once agin staff were happy and friendly.
Good hotel for a one night stop over seams very popular for weddings great staff food good what more do you want ?

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Robbie Williams concert guest

Thank you for your review and I hope you enjoyed the concert. It was a very busy weekend so I am very pleased to hear that we did not drop our standards. The team here do get many kind comments about their service, which as the General Manager makes me very proud. I truly believe that the team are the heart of a business, giving it it's personality.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed your lunch and breakfast. I have passed on your comments about the dry egg to our head chef.

Finally thank you for your feedback about your room, which I have discussed with the Head Housekeeper.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Attended a wedding here at the beginning of 2013. The food (a hot buffet) was very good and service attentive.
The rooms were clean and modern, and breakfast tasty and plentiful.
I was quite involved in organising the wedding and from what I could see, the staff were particularly attentive, catered to all kinds of requests and were constantly pleasant. Staff on the day and the day after were also very attentive and pleasant. Obviously well trained and happy in their jobs.
Just please change the name - it has connotations of old!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Smokies Park Hotel reviewer.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased we were able to help in making the wedding special. The team here really enjoy hosting a wedding and was pleased to hear that you appreciated their friendly and helpful service.

We have thought about a hotel name change as the name has a lot of history with the old night club. I believe we will change it at some point as it does not represent the quality of the hotel, wedding venue and restaurant. Not in the pipeline soon but is on my radar.

I shall pass on your kind comments to the team

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I recently stayed here with my friend. It was a little difficult to find, as the trees blocked the sign on the main road, until it was right in front of you but that is thhe only issue we had.
Check in was quick and easy, the receptionist was very helpful and friendly.
The bedroom was very spacious, much more so than your usual standard room. It was clean and fresh and looked to have been painted recently. The bathroom was clean and large to.
The bar area was a pleasant area to relax with drinks and talk and the staff were all very nice and happy.
The 'eat...@smokies' was that good we ate in the Saturday and had carvery on the Sunday to.
Over all Smokies ticked all the right boxes and we will certainly stay there again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Smokies Reviewer

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, finding the staff friendly, your bedroom spacious & fresh and bathroom clean. Your room had been recently decorated as are 5 more rooms next month as part of our on going program.

It was also nice to hear that you liked our restaurant eat@smokies so much that you ate there twice.

Thanks again and hope we see you again soon

Yarm on Tees
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This Hotel provided everything promised in the wedding package 100%, good food with great service, both dining and at the bar.
Special mention for 'Pepe' who ran the bar virtually single handed both Friday and Saturday evenings and was back as duty manager early Sunday morning; faultlessly coordinating a very busy post wedding breakfast session with friendly precision, ensuring any waiting was at an absolute minimum.
Great Weekend.

Room Tip: We were a large wedding booking and I did not hear of any bad rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Wedding Guest

Thank you for your review of our hotel and wedding venue/service. I was so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the wedding and your stay with us. We really enjoy every wedding that we host and take great pride in making the day special. I shall pass on your kind words to Peppe, who I would agree did a fantastic job that weekend.

Thank you again and I hope we see you again soon

york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Fantastic stay! Never felt the need to review a hotel before this one, so here goes....A friend and I stayed for 2 nights this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it! We didn't get to spend much time in the hotel as we were at park life festival but the time we did spend was great. The receptionist Steff is a credit to the hotel, she jumped to our needs on several occasions and nothing was too much bother even though the hotel was full to the brim on Saturday and she was clearly rushed off her feet she still attended to every one of our requests and we would like for her to receive some credit for all her kindness shown to us, thank you! The room was spacious and clean, modern with a new bathroom and flat screen tv. The breakfast was gorgeous and even though it was busy we were fully attended to, it certainly set us up for our day of dancing! We arrived back late on Sunday evening and welcomed with a smile, as we had been drinking quite heavily we didn't fancy driving home early in the morning and we were offered a late check out with no problem at all, we weren't disturbed by housekeeping in the morning which was great! We would definitely stay again the next time we are Manchester! Excellent value for money with those little extras that come for free thrown in..ie service with a smile!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear smokies reviewer

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. It makes it extra special to me that you were treated so well by all the team when we were full to the brim with parklife festival guests. Busy, should not reduce the quality of service but you received the extra service I expect from our team, which was nice to hear.

I shall pass on your kind comments about your bedroom and breakfast to the team

Thanks again

Oldham, England, UK.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

A good hotel with friendly and positive staff. Reception and restaurant staff very professional and helpful. Comfortable and clean rooms, but maybe could do with some updating.
A hotel where the WIFI actually works in your room!
Great tasty breakfast. Book B&B!
Good value room rates. Well worth staying here.
Located on main road between Ashton Under Lyne and Oldham. Free parking!
Would stay here again. Great stay - Thank you BW Smokies!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our team helpful, positive and professional. We have recently invested in our WiFi, moving to Fibre Optic Broadband and an increased amount of routers around the hotel, giving everyone a good service, which ever room they are in.

I am glad you found your room clean and comfortable. We are always upgrading our rooms and hope to have them all finished by the end of this year.

Finally, thank you for your comments about our breakfast, which I shall pass onto the team.

Hope to see you again

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park? Share your experiences!