“Dirty, disappointing and far from superior” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Village Urban Resort Manchester Bury

You added Village Urban Resort Manchester Bury to your Saves list
Village Urban Resort Manchester Bury
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfold Business Park | Rochdale Road, Bury BL9 7BQ, England (Formerly De Vere Village Manchester Bury)   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Bury
Preston, United Kingdom
“Dirty, disappointing and far from superior”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Last weekend we attended a concert in Bury. We thought we would treat ourselves to a night of luxury so decided to splash out £91 on a superior room at this hotel.

Unfortunately, once we got to our room the luxury ended.

What we thought was going to be a king size bed was actually two single beds pushed together and after less than a few minutes in the room we found that several areas were either dirty or covered in months worth of dust. The room was generally tatty and had thick dust behind the heater and a thick layer of dust around the desk. This was not just a few days of dust but months worth.

Unbelievably, the bathroom was even worse. There was a disgusting amount of someone else’s hair in the bath plug hole, black mould on the bath grout and sealer and the toilet had a black ring of dirt around the inside rim which was visible even from the bedroom. There were even cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. The soap dispenser was full but it didn't work so it was a good job we took our own toiletries. Have a look at the photos that we have uploaded to see for yourself.

Shortly after checking in we went for a swim. As we had not stayed at this hotel before we ended up walking around the changing rooms in circles looking for the exit to the swimming pool. Perhaps some signage would have been helpful? Despite the pool rules stating that no diving is allowed there were several children jumping in and disturbing others trying to swim. The staff paid no attention at all. There was no soap in the shower here either.

Our stay was capped off by having to wait 20 minutes to be seated for breakfast (We have never had to wait at any other hotel before). The staff looked totally harassed and once seated we watched in amazement as a couple on the next table who had only just finished eating and still finishing their coffee were asked to leave as they needed the table. Looking around the problem could have been alleviated by having more tables for 2 as most couples were occupying tables for 4.

Overall we were bitterly disappointed with our stay at this hotel and it spoilt what should have been a special weekend. We felt it was very overpriced as there was nothing superior about it and the cleanliness issue was very concerning.

We would definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracy H, General Manager at Village Urban Resort Manchester Bury, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear BandS197,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to us.

I was very disappointed to hear that the stay did not live up to your expectations and I am also very surprised by your photos. We upgraded all of our superior’s rooms to Upper Deck on the 7th October and these are certainly not the room that you have taken photos of. I am aware of the room that you stayed in and can confirm that these are the old style superior room so an internal investigation has already taken place to.

We do take all customer feedback very seriously and all customer feed back is documented on a daily basis so I am very surprised that a complaint of this nature has not been documented, and I am really keen to ascertain whether you notified the team of the issues during your stay.

A gesture of good will was made approx 4 weeks ago and I have not heard anything so will assume that everything was to your satisfaction. Unfortunately I do not have your contact details on the system however should you wish to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact me either at the Hotel, or alternatively by sending me a private message through Trip Advisor.

Thank you once again for sharing your feed back and I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Tracy Harrison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

we have stayed here many times and have never had anything bad to say , the rooms are large and the beds very comfordable ,the staff are very friendly and helpful ,the swimming pool is a good size and i have enjoyed the sauna and steam room also .
breakfast is the normal buffet standard nice and relaxing ,restaurant food is good value for money and they do different offers on each night in bar food which is good value we had the 5 course carvery on sunday for £10 which was lovely but book this early as its very busy a really good choice of everything .
the only thing this w/end was the singer in the bar was a little bit loud but we did say to reception and it was turned down a bit but apart from that we are very happy to stay here again and would reccomend it to anyone .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear lilyrose7,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am really pleased to hear that we have lived up to your expectations on every visit to us and that you feel that we are good value for money, particularly our Sunday Carvery which is exceptional value for money.

I have noted your point regarding the singer and will keep an eye on this for the future.

Thank you once again for sharing your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

we have just returned from a two night stay at the De Vere Village in Bury, Greater Manchester and I urge everyone to stay away from this hotel, especially if you value sleep and relaxation. The hotel structure is pretty and decor is modern however that is where the good traits end. We arrived after a very long and late drive from Scotland to the hotel which was crowded by people everywhere, extremely loud music pounding out of the bar and function room, there were no staff on the reception desk to welcome us, we had to stand and wait with our 19 month old in a foyer which felt like a night club with drunk people staggering around etc. The noise of this hotel is unbearable and goes on until the small hours of the morning, I did not sleep at all in our two nights with the music actually pounding through the floor and vibrating through my pillow. There were people running up and down the hallways screaming, people doing things in the public toilet that I wont mention on here. We were bed and breakfast and must say the coffee is absolutely disgusting thank goodness for the starbucks in the hotel. The breakfast was cold from the self service area. it was just literally a terrible experience especially as a young family, I think this hotel would only suit the very young, single population who want to stay up late getting drunk and screaming the place down, if you want a relaxing break DON'T BOOK HERE!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear sa_janeb,

I was very disappointed to hear of your experience with us and I am really keen to discuss this further with you. We do take all customer feed back very seriously and all guest comments are documented and emailed to myself on a daily basis as not only does this allows us the opportunity to thank people for their kind comments, it also enables us to review and resolve improvement areas on a regular basis ensuring that they do remain isolated incidents. I am very surprised that a complaint of this nature has not been documented for follow up and I am also very keen to hear if you raised your concerns during your 2 night stay with us. If these points had been brought to our attention during your stay we should have done absolutely everything to ensure that the remainder of your stay was a comfortable one.

As previously noted I am really keen to discuss this with you and should you wish to discuss this with me further I am available at the Hotel most days, or alternatively please send me a private message through trip advisor with your contact details and I will contact you at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you once again for sharing your feed back and I hope to hear from you soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Currently staying at hotel. I have stayed in some lovely hotels over the years and this place would be right up there with the best.

The staff are all friendly nothing is any trouble at all. Location wise it's great the rooms are comfortable and clean perhaps a little dark air some. Overall a lovely place to stay I will be booking to stay here again in November when I am back in this area.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear dcjwhite,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Hotel.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, so much so that you were going to re book when you were next in the area.

Thank you once again.

Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel doesn't look anything special from the outside.

However, rooms are comfy and the pool and gym facilities are very good. The pool and gym gets used by a lot of non residential folks so can get busy.

Very fast free wifi is z ail able throughout the hotel.

Food in the restaurant is quite expensive but no more expensive than any other hotel so it is comparable.

I'd stay again

• Stayed September 2012
Dear jessmjc,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review folllowing your recent visit to us. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you would stay with us the future and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Conwy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our silver wedding anniversary at this hotel.
The service and the staff were excellent and had a "Nothing is too much trouble to do attitude" towards all the guests.The buffet was unbelievable for the quailty and quantity provided,guests who attended are still contacting me praising the venue and the food.
Due to the high standard of service provided by the staff and high standard of the hotel I have no hesitation in recommending it as a top class venue for any function.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tracy H, General Manager at Village Urban Resort Manchester Bury, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear nigel b,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am absolutely delighted to hear that the service you received was excellent and the team attended to your every need through out your stay.

Congratulations on your Silver Wedding anniversary from all the team and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We regularly stay at this hotel when on business trips.We find the staff on reception knowlegeable and welcoming,especially Gina, and the service both in the hotel and restaurant excellent.The room is always cleaned to a high standard and the beds are comfortable.Any issue is dealt with promptly and efficiently.Spa facilities also very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SimonWales,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit to us.

I am delighted to hear that during your regular visits to us you have found the Reception team to be very welcoming and knowledgeable especially Gina. I am also pleased to hear that your room has always been cleaned to a high standard, your bed comfortable and the service excellent with everything being dealt with promptly.

Tracy Harrison

Been to Village Urban Resort Manchester Bury? Share your experiences!