“Good value for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bolholt Country Park Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Bolholt Country Park Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bolholt Country Park Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Walshaw Road, Bury BL8 1PU, England (Formerly BEST WESTERN Bolholt Hotel & Leisure Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Bury
“Good value for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

A good choice for one nights stay when visiting friends in the area. The staff are all very friendly, rooms clean and modern. We were in room 17 which was tucked away at the back of the hotel, nice and quiet but no view. If you are a light sleeper then the lack of sound proof would be a problem as you can hear everything..
The food lets it down, although there was a good selection for breakfast, everything was over cooked. The famous black pudding was so over cooked it was hard. We decided not to eat lunch in the hotel based on previous rules and picked a local pub called The Major in Ramsbottom. See our review as this pub is worth a visit, great ales, wine and excellent pub food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at BEST WESTERN Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found our staff friendly.

Please let me apologise for the standard of breakfast. Your feedback is important to us so we can look at ways to improve in the future.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 night for wedding at the hotel. Check in very efficient and room available early. Room nice and clean and good value for what we paid. Service at bars a bit hit and miss. Seemed well short of staff. No lemons or limes for drinks all day. Really!!!! Breakfast was a total shocker, very disorganised and poor quality. Buffet style and a real mess! Again seemed very light on staff to cope. Didnt use the facilities ( gym & pool) but they did look good. Overall average.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed here last sat night as part of a weekend in Manchester for his birthday . Check in staff were friendly. Our room was very comfy and warm with tea and coffee and yummy biscuits! Cleaning staff very friendly too . We had flown over from Ireland that morning and were starving so went to the bar to have a meal . We were told it was only sandwiched and considering it was the only hotel or pub for a few miles we were looking for something more substantial so ended up having to get into the car again when we were shattered and drive around until we found somewhere for a meal . Would have thought especially on a sat afternoon, there would have been more options . There was a wedding on there too and the only complaint we have is a lot of the guests trying to get into our room during the night and waking us up. We understand that staff can't control this but I think the guests at the wedding had a good night!!!!!!

Breakfast next morning was a bit higgly piggly with guests in a few different rooms and the buffet in yet another room but the staff were very nice to us and the food had lots of variety and was very warm and the sausages were gorgeous!!! Overall we had a good experience and would more than likely stay again if we are in the area. Thanks guys!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found our staff helpful and enjoyed your stay.

We are looking to expand the menu more in the day time but we do offer a wide selection of sandwiches & burgers after 2pm, I hope you found a nice pub/restaurant close by.

We hope you do choose to stay with us again.

North East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very welcoming and efficient staff -my suitcase was carried up to my room for me; no lift but ground floor rooms if required; good breakfast(buffet for juice/fruit/cereals/ham/cheese etc, hot food cooked to order and waitress served , little packets of jam/marmalade and even marmite, well done) and evening meals -set courses in the evening very reasonably priced but some dishes not very well cooked(mine were lovely but other members' of my group, not so good; lovely room with comfortable four poster bed, excellent view over the grounds, beautifully quiet, good lighting, hospitality tray, little radio by bed and ordinary sized TV(not flat screen), plenty of space for clothes,suitcase rack for unpacking; clean and well equipped bathroom, shower over bath; pleasant and interesting walks in the grounds; very pleasant lounge; did not try Spa facilities. Nice and warm, even when frosty/snowy outside, plenty of hot water, bedroom windows able to be opened.The place was previously a country house, from where the first President of Harvard University originated, then a cotton finishing mill and then an independent hotel - most interesting. Easily accessible by bus from centre of Bury(which connects to Manchester by Metro); plenty of free parking.

Room Tip: Better views from upstairs, all quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Firstly let me thank you for your review. I am pleased you had a pleasant stay with us and found our staff welcoming and efficient. I am glad you enjoyed your meals and found them to be at a reasonable price.

We are looking into the decor of the rooms and upgrading all TV’s to be flat screen.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

mothers day 4course lunch. Excellant value, good english food, wonderful beef roast dinner. Will definitely visit again!
good portions, with fresh veg. Restaurant staff helpful & pleasant. If u require a traditional sunday lunch its worth the visit.

• Stayed March 2013
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at BEST WESTERN Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your Sunday lunch and found our staff helpful & pleasant.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Hotel was clean & young staff pleasant enough. Cooked food at Breakfast was awful & Evening main course not eatable! Room was good, but Bathroom had a blocked sink (for a very long time I think!). We would not ever syay again (2 days) especially as they put some bar drinks on our final bill (we were watching Bury play Crawley at Bury F.C. we had paid anyway for everything as we went along!

Very dodgy somewhere there be very careful!!

Room Tip: Do not book room 36 - sink will still be blocked. Do not purchase Main Courses - Expensive & ver...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at BEST WESTERN Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Firstly please let me apologise for the problem with the sink, I can assure you this has now been fixed and we did not have any previous problems with the sink in this room.

Also I am sorry that someone else's bar drinks were added to you bill. I am pleased you notified reception of this so we could investigate and remove it for you.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 0161 762 4000.

crawley, england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We've just spent two nights here and our stay was okay - not great and not bad. Firstly the room (No. 36 and a twin) was just fine - except the sink in the bathroom was blocked and took hours to drain. We reported in Saturday morning and were told late in the afternoon upon our return that it was a major job to unblock it and it couldn't be fixed straight away, we were offered a change of room but as we were leaving early Sunday morning we declined. I can't believe it suddenly just blocked itself before our arival and one wonders just how long its been blocked, and how many previous guests have been told the same - they should just get it fixed.

We dined at the restuarant on Friday evening and found the food not very good at all, and very very expensive. Both our starters were okay but our two main courses really were not very good. There is much better and cheaper food to be had elsewhere and I would recommend the Swan & Cemetrey pub on the Manchester Road as a far better alternative!

Use was made of the Spa & Leisure facilities which were free to hotel guests and were great!

Upon checkout Sunday morning we were presented with a bar bill which suprised us - as we had paid for our meal and drinks at the time on Friday. We were told they were for drinks taken at some point mid Saturday afternoon. As we were out all day from 10am until 7pm we told reception it must be a mistake, and it took a good while persuading them otherwise! eventually (I hope) they agreed not to charge us - so beware and check what your paying for!

This place has let it self down from my experience with the expensive and not very nice food, the fact I believe the bathroom sink has been blocked for sometime and the attempt to charge for drinks when clearly a mistake had been made, or someone is on the fiddle.

In it's favour it was inexpensive (£116.00) for two nights bed & breakfast in a twin room, it has access to great leisure facilities and it is set in lovely grounds.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hayley_Shephard, Manager at BEST WESTERN Bolholt Country Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013

I am pleased you visited and enjoyed our leisure facilities.

Duty Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Bolholt Country Park Hotel? Share your experiences!