“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Menzies Stourport Manor

You added Menzies Stourport Manor to your Saves list
Menzies Stourport Manor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Hartlebury Road, Stourport on Severn DY13 9JA, England   |
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from from one night stay with our two boys age 13y, 10y plus grandparents. We have booked and all inclusive package safari bed dinner and hotel. Talked to someone called Kim. Which was fantastic. Originally booked to a different hotel which I have managed to cancelled and cond to this one. Which I am glad I've done so. The hotel was clean, food was amazing. Use the facilities swimming, sauna, jacuzzi, tennis court. Bear in mind children can't use the swimming after 7pm. We didn't mind had a full day at the safari already. Went for a early swimming at 7h30 am. Just before breakfast. Nice and quiet.
Food was delicious, well cooked include in the price starters son course and pudding. Good portion. Breakfast buffet style good selection of pastry, fruits, cereal and cooked breakfast. Overall had an amazing time. We would go there again. Remember speak to Kim directly, had a good deal on all inclusive. Very polite and pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I have recently completed a 3 night stay at this hotel in room 44 (8,9,10 Aug 13) on arrival we were welcomed by a very nice receptionist and were glad that we had chosen this hotel for our mini break but I am afraid that's we're our enjoyment ended.Within 10 minutes of being in our room we were greeted with the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke,after investigation we found that the stench was coming from the room below (our window was open when we entered the room) I then looked down and saw someone leaning out of the window smoking in the room below.I called down to reception and reported this but the person continued to chain smoke late into the night and as the room had no air conditioning of any kind we had to suffer an extremely uncomfortable night as we were unable to have our window open.The following morning at 05.30 we were awoken by the very unpleasant stench of cigarette smoke AGAIN ! But this time coming from our bathroom and on this occasion this was due to the person in the room next door smoking in their bathroom and as we had no extractor fan in the bathroom had no way of getting rid of this stench.When we came down to breakfast we complained to the receptionist who said she would report this to the duty manager,we also asked her if it was possible to supply us with a fan to which she did.This horrible stench continued throughout our stay and I made complained on several occasions but nothing changed.Everytime we were in our room we had to have our bathroom door closed with a pillow against the grill in the door and our window closed with the fan aimed straight at us on full speed during our whole stay.We are extremely frequent visitors of many hotels both for business & pleasure and on average stay in hotels up and down the country at least 30 plus times a year and I am sorry to say this was our most unpleasant trip yet.The Hotel facilities were good as was the breakfast.But you will find this hotel very uncomfortable if you are a non smoker as the hotel had no extractor fan in our bathroom or air conditioning in the room and unfortunately the hotel management do not enforce the no smoking policy and don't take any valid complaints serious.4 star badge 1 star customer service !!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Louise A, General Manager at Menzies Stourport Manor, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Further to our previous correspondence of Thursday 22nd August, may I once again thank you for your feedback.

As mentioned in your message, I have spoken to my Duty Manager who was aware and dealt with the complaint and they had spoken to the guest concerned who was in on your first night to advise him that the hotel is completely non smoking and that he was not to smoke in the hotel or bedroom.

I am very sorry that this detracted from your stay with us and I do hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to Menzies Stourport Manor in the near future so that we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My daughter, Lily 14 years of age, Cornwall county 800m champion and a National standard athlete was competing at the Alexander Stadium Birmingham (a big race). Last year we chose a Hotel in Birmingham, this year I found the Stourport Manor a four star with a Jacuzzi/swimming pool. This appeared to make sense as Lily could enjoy the benefits of the spa after a long journey pre and post race.

Booking the hotel was not easy over the internet as availability and price seemed erratic, so spoke direct to a new member of staff who was very patient and determined to get our family the best deal, she was also aware of our reason for traveling to Stourport and not Birmingham.

On arrival we had a friendly welcome, checked into the room which would of been OK except for the leaky toilet (over the floor) and the mould on the grout and sealant in the bath area.

My two daughters and I went immediately to the spa, where we were presented with an empty pool. Lily's legs ached from the four hour journey and our other daughter had been so excited to swim, she had been pestering me all journey. When trying to collect the towels we were told "no children in the pool after 7PM", the time was 7.05pm. There was no movement on this even though there was nobody on the pool. I spoke with reception, who did not seem to have any empathy and offering "sorry but those are the rules".

On discussing our next move for the evening outside the spa, we sat at a grubby table with ashtrays full of rain water and cigarette butts, the overall condition looked like nobody cared and not that of a four star hotel.

Food quality and price inconsistent, Burger and chips at the bar approx £10 seemed best value but still expensive, restaurant average but overpriced and drinks more expensive than central London.

This is a hotel that has five star prices, is four star accredited and has a 3 star offering. Families ask for a comprehensive list of their rules before entering the spa area as their offering seems more geared up for the locals and not paying guests.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Booked one of the weekend break’s which was excellent value.

No complaints about the room.

The restaurant had some excellent staff, but others left a lot to be desired more interested in talking to each other than serving.

My wife’s dairy allergy was mentioned at check in, Starter and Main Course was okay but was only offered fruit salad for desert. Only when we complained on day 2 after being offered fruit salad again did the kitchen do pancakes which my wife suggested using soya milk which where very tasty.

We would stay there again because it is good value

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

As we had stayed at a Menzie hotel before (the Strathallen Hotel Birmingham) which was excellent, we book a summer break at the Stourport Manor feeling assured we would have a similar experience, unfortunately this was not the case.
Check in was fine, the receptionist (Ben Bromwich) was friendly and efficient, so we were off to a good start.
On our way up to our room we discovered that the stairway had a very unpleasant dampness smell, but it seem to be confined to the stairwell so as we only had a one night stay we let it pass.
Apart from the bed and the curtains, our Superior Double Room was a little disappointing, tired decor, silicon around the bath taps was dirty and rust stained, the windows needed cleaning and there were rubbish bags below our window, (Removed shortly later). In the morning we were disturbed by some person just inside the door below talking very loudly
Dinner time was a shock, very slow service even though there were only 10 people at its busiest. Starter took 20 minute s plus to arrive and we were not offered any condiments.
There was a very lengthy wait for our main course and when it arrive the waiter put it on the table and turned to go without offer any condiments, this time we asked immediately.
After waiting some 5 or 6 minutes for them to arrive and as our steak had started to cool we started our meal.
During our meal we were asked if everything was alright so I highlighted that we were still waiting for the condiments and added that we would also like mustard, after a further wait they finally arrived, minus the mustard; (got it on the seconded time of asking).
We finished our meal and again it was another wait before our plates were cleared and our satisfaction was checked. When we said that we didn’t really enjoy our meal we were asked why? So I explained that our steaks were bland and a little tough. (I left a good part of mine).
The waitress said she would pass our comments on to the chef and that was the last we hear.
We were offered the menu dessert; I ordered crème brulee and my asked wife for coffee rather than dessert, I also asked for coffee.
Again we had a wait, which was particularly annoying as one for the waitresses was laying tables for breakfast in another part of the restaurant and the other waitress did on several occasions go into the kitchen but me out empty handed, then proceeded to chat to her colleague.
We finally lost patients when both the waitresses left the restaurant and decided we should do the same.
This seemed to put a sprint into the staff. As we approached the reception area someone ran up behind us and asked us to go back to the restaurant and sign your bill.
He was, however, a little taken aback when my wife suggested he should bring it out to us. At this point a female member of staff behind the reception asked if everything was alright, we told her it was not and explained that we were less than happy with our meal and very unhappy with the lengthy waits for service during our meal.
There male member of staff behind the counter said “oh dear it’s not normally like that”. I am not sure how he felt this would address our complaint; to me this was a very poor way to deal with it, It was as if he was brushing it aside (even more annoying was the way he continued to say “oh dear “several times afterwards, very patronising).
Nobody seemed able to offer a sincere apology
At breakfast there were different staff, totally different atmosphere, a friendly waitress greeted and seated us and her colleagues were friendly, efficient and speedy.
On departure we were back in the safe friendly hands of Ben at reception
Would I visit a Menzies Hotel again, the Birmingham Strathallen Hotel for sure and maybe some of the others but never, never the Stourport Manor Hotel.

Room Tip: Think twice before visiting this Menzies Hotel, it is not one of the good ones
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We celebrated our wedding at the Stourport Manor Hotel on Saturday (10th) and we had the most amazing day. From start to finish the hotel staff just couldnt do enough for us. Im a perfectionist and had a few reservations when we were told by our wedding coordinator to leave it in their safe hands on the actual day, but I can honestly say I couldnt have done a better job myself. Everything was where I had asked for it to be, the day ran so smoothly and we had so many comments from our guests on what a great day they had had.

The meal was perfect, the evening buffet was perfect, the breakfast the next day was perfect, can not fault them on food. The next morning they even set up a seperate room so our guests could enjoy their breakfast seperately from the other guests in the hotel, we felt like royalty.

We had such a great time my sister is now looking into cancelling the venue she had booked for her wedding next year and rebooking at the Stourport Manor!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind comments in respect of your wedding celebration at the hotel and I was pleased to read that we managed to meet your expectations in every area of the celebration. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Menzies Stourport Manor at some stage in the future and if you have any future requirements please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My family and I recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel for a family wedding. Our family room was excellent (bathroom could do with a scrub), with lots of space for our daughters travel cot. The staff on arrival and the day before the wedding were good, although sometimes hard to find. On the wedding day I hardly saw any member of staff smile all day, and most looked positively grumpy. Probably down to the way they were being spoken to my the manager, which at times was unprofessional. Our biggest frustration was that we were told by the wedding couple that each guest got 2 glasses of wine. After the main course my husband asked for a second glass of wine, to which he was told they had finished offering wine now. He explained he only had one glass and was told tough as they only offer wine twice, once before starters and once before mains (about 15min apart). Not many of the guests had finished their first glass by that time! After some attitude from the waitress she did go and get us another glass of wine. The Sparkling wine for the speech was splashed into our glasses at lighting quick speed, some not being filled more than half way! The food was good, the day ran without a hitch but for the amount of money a couple spend on their wedding day, if you are told 2 glasses of wine per person that is what I would expect to get. We reckon the hotel probably used about 15bottles when the couple thought they were getting 35! The wedding brochure definitely advertises half a bottle of wine per adult, slightly false advertising I think! If the staff smiled and looked like they enjoyed their job then the day would have been even better!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments in respect of your recent stay at the hotel to attend a wedding and I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in certain areas. I was obviously concerned to read your comments with regard to the staff not smiling as in general the hotel has had excellent reputation in respect of its hospitality and this is a very rare comment however clearly I will review with my team.

In respect of the wine service during the wedding there are different packages that people can purchase and in respect of this particular wedding it was a drink on arrival, a glass of wine with the meal and a glass of sparkling wine for the toast and again I will review the style of service with the team.

In respect of the wedding brochure which you saw you are correct that there is a new package that offers half a bottle of wine on our new wedding menus and these are priced accordingly and would never knowingly mislead any customers.

I was pleased to note you enjoyed the food and your comments will be shared with the team as we continue to aspire to increase our levels of service.

Been to Menzies Stourport Manor? Share your experiences!