“Learn to play golf in a day, excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa

You added Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa to your Saves list
Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hither Green Lane | Dagnell End Rd, Redditch B98 9BE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Redditch
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Learn to play golf in a day, excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We chose this for a wedding anniversary weekend. Never having picked up a golf club before we didn't have great expectations but by the end of the day I was mostly hitting the balls between 50 and 100 yards in a reasonably straight line, hubby nearly 200 yards but not always straight. For only £85pp my husband and I got half board in the hotel plus a day's tuition on the driving range and practice holes, including a sandwich with chips lunch in the golf club bar and ending with playing a couple of holes on the real golf course. The golf pro Rob was patient, cheerful and really got the principles over, as the course is limited to a maximum of eight (only 5 on our day) you get a lot of personal attention. We ended the day golf enthusiasts and will definitely take up the game, so the course did what it said on the tin. Apart from the grounds and golf club area the hotel is a bit lacking in atmosphere and the buildings are 'any modern hotel' in style but it is well run. The room wasn't large but was comfortable, and the over the bed ceiling fan was a nice touch. The ensuite bathroom included both a separate shower and a huge full length bath though the lighting was deliberately dim, modern relaxing fashion, but too dark to apply makeup. The buffet breakfast included a huge selection of English and continental, pity the tomatoes were tinned rather than fresh but I suppose many people prefer the sloppy tinned variety. The prix fixe menu had a good choice of meat, fish and vegetarian options, not exceptional cooking but good quality and good value and we enjoyed it. We were too tired to enjoy the swimming pool and spa leisure centre but it all looked super. Friendly and efficient staff, service was prompt in spite of the place being packed with golfers staying there for their annual club weekend away/ tournament events. Would certainly recommend this as a place to learn or enjoy golf or for an enjoy the spa and leisure centre treat.

Room Tip: Some traffic noise on the car park side as we kept the window open, it was a hot night. Rooms facing...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback after recently experiencing a “Learn to Play Golf in a Day package” with us. This package has been designed by our Head Golf Professional to give complete beginners or relative newcomers of golf to have a day of coaching with our experienced PGA Professionals on all major aspects of the game, followed with a game on our championship course with guidance from the Professional. So it certainly is fantastic news to hear how much you enjoyed the day and that you ended the day as both golf enthusiasts. To follow up guests who have experienced a Learn to Play in a Day package, we have further group golf lesson packages to suit, including a group 9 Hole Playing Lesson and a group fine tune your swing golf tuition package, dates are on our website. We really appreciate your feedback on the hotel bedroom and will certainly be looking into the points you have raised. Once again thank you for taking the time to post this review and from everyone here at the hotel we hope you had a wonderful wedding anniversary. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We were a group of 12 golfers (very mixed standard) and we all had a great time at the Abbey Hotel during the first weekend of October - though obviously the weather helped immensely.

The rooms were clean and reasonably spacious. I think our room (219) was probably one of the smaller ones and we had no problem. The evening meal was absolutely top quality, the only issue being that there wasn't enough. The breakfast was stunning - I've never seen such a good quality served buffet style before, everything looked totally fresh, no sad-looking stodgy eggs to be seen here.

The golf course was a good test without being difficult, and it was certainly unusual wandering though a housing estate to get from hole to hole in some instances! The greens were possibly a little over-watered but if that's the only gripe that a dozen of us can come up with then I think there's not a lot to worry about.

Drinks, as usual at a hotel like this, were nigh-on extortionate and for that reason we took a five-minute taxi into Redditch rather than stay in-house for the evening. I think £3.70 for a bottle of beer is rather having a laugh...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thanks for your great feedback following your recent golf break with us. Glad you all had a great stay and am pleased you enjoyed the food and the time spent on the course. With regards to drink prices we do ensure our prices are in line and competitively priced with other hotel establishments, however, I will certainly look into the point you have raised. Once again many thanks and we all hope to see you again in the future. Kind regards.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel could show some 5* hotels how its done. My husband and I got married on the 17th September 2011 and we had a fantastic reception. From initial enquiry with Kay (who is so professional and helpful and makes you feel like yours is the only wedding) Nothing is too much trouble. From reception team to welcoming and fun bar staff - James & Stewart, to housekeeping etc the staff are smiling, friendly and professional. The chef came personally to us to discuss our menus and met us on arrival to the room. Bedrooms were spotless and all our guests could not compliment this hotel enough. Grounds with golf.. breathtaking. If you are planning a trip to the midlands, you would be hard to find a better hotel than this!

Room Tip: If its a special occasion - The Studley has a lovely balcony overlooking the golf...
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your recent comments following your wedding reception. We are so happy that you had a fantastic day! Thank you also for your comments about the bedrooms, grounds, cleanliness and the hotel staff. I look forward to passing these comments on to all staff including those you have made special mention to, Kay, James and Stewart, who will be delighted to hear this fantastic feedback. We wish you both every happiness in your married life and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

My husband and I recently got married at the Abbey hotel on the 9th September. I cannot praise the hotel and all of it's staff highly enough. From the first visit there until the big day itself we were treated with highest amount of professionalism.

I feel like I must mention our wedding co-ordinator Kay. She was absolutely fantastic!!!!! Every small question and worry was dealt with quickly and she was always extremly approachable. Kay made the whole planning experience very enjoyable. I always knew whatever i needed Kay vould help me with. We had to change things the week leading up to the wedding which never caused any problems and Kay was very accomodating. My groom decided he wanted to play golf the morning of the wedding and Kay organised all of this for him also.

We stayed there for 2 nights in total and both rooms were immaculate. They rooms have a very homely feeling about them.

Onto the actual wedding. There was nothing but praise from all our guests about the hotel. The location is perfect. We had people travelling fom all over birmingham and beyond and everyone found the location just right. Everybody commented on the quality of the food. It was second to none!!!! We didn't have to think about anything on the day except the occasion. Janine ran our wedding perfectly. Always checking that eveything was ok with us and ushering our guests where they needed to be. A job I would not have liked to do!!!

All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. During our wedding breakfast I noticed that my earring had fallen out (a wedding present from my husband). The staff were immediately out on the golf course helping me retrace my steps and look for my earring. It may sound like a small thing but it meant an awful lot to me!!

The grounds the hotel is set on is so picturesque, perfect for the wedding photos.

The following day we used the leisure facilities and were extremely impressed with these also.

Overall we loved the whole experience of being at the Abbey hotel. I would definately recommend it to any friends getting married or even just wanting a break away.

THANK YOU!!!! you truly made our day one we will never forget

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Guest, many thanks for your recent review, we are delighted that we helped to make your wedding day that extra bit special and I hope that married life is treating you both well. I have shared your comments with the team with special mention to Kay and Janine. We all look forward to seeing you again soon and really do appreciate this fantastic feedback and the recommendation. Kindest regards.
derbyshire england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Went with a group of 16 blokes for a weekend golf break and had exceptional value for money. The staff from reception to waitrers and waitresses were very polite and helpfull. Evening meal and breakfast were great and the golf course was in great condition. So woul recomend tis hotel to any one.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your great feedback following your golf break weekend with us. It was our pleasure accommodating you and I am so pleased to hear everything was exceptional for you. I will look forward to passing these comments on to all staff members. Thanks again, happy golfing and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I have just got back from a couple of days golf and R & R with some friends. We chose the UK this year and all of us were absolutely delighted with the Abbey Hotel Golf & Country Club. It's a decent location which is easy to access, the hotel rooms and facilities are well worth their 4 stars, and the staff are extremely helpful and polite.
It's a pleasure to have your questions answered with a smile and a polite response.
I would certainly have no hesitation in returning myself and / or recommending it to others.
Very well done!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the golf course.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear guest, thank you for your review and kind words about our hotel, in particular mentioning the bedrooms, location and hotel facilities. I do hope the weekend succeeded in giving you and your friends some much needed R&R. We do pride ourselves on the high standards of customer service offered from our staff, so I am so pleased to hear this was received. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kindest regards.
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We got married here on Friday 5th August and thoroughly loved it!!!
We arrived on the 3rd and my Wife stayed the whole time, I went to stay with family as it's bad luck to see the Bride the day before. Claire loved the time that she spent there and when I got there on the Friday for the big day I was greeted by the staff on reception with a warm smile and felt immediately calmed (I was nervous). Pam Osbourne who we booked and planned the wedding with was absolutely amazing, we had to change things a number of times which never caused any problems what-so-ever. She was a star!!!
Janine, the lady that looked after us on the day was also brilliant, she kept us informed of everything as the day went on and really did help to make sure our big day went without a hitch. The grounds are also stunning to have photo's taken and the food was exceptional.The rest of the staff were also brilliant with us and made our stay here thoroughly enjoyable.
We liked it that much that we're planning to go back next year to celebrate our anniversary with them. Thank you Abbey Hotel for making our wedding so enjoyable and providing us with the best surroundings that we could have possibly wished for.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you and so many congratulations to you and your wife, it was our pleasure accommodating your wedding and I am so pleased to hear this wonderful feedback. It means the world to the team here at the Abbey Hotel and we are delighted that your had a great wedding. I will personally pass on your comments on to the whole team and thank you for mentioning Pam and Janine, who do a fantastic job and your comments are very much appreciated. We hope that married life is treating your well and we look forward to seeing you both again on your anniversary. Kindest regards.

Been to Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!