“All Day Carvery” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 86 Restaurants in Kidderminster
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Island Pool is a clasic country pub serving not only a high standard of food but great tradional ales. We have to offer, a carvery with a choice our locally sourced meats accompanied by a wide variety of fresh locally sourced vegetables. Alongside our carvery we have an extensive menu with a range of foods to suit any and every pallet. We are proud to offer exquisite beef steaks, also sourced locally, and are all cooked to perfection.For Bookings or any information, send us a message or give us a call! We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Kinver
“All Day Carvery”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We arrived about 3.45 just before the price of the carvery went up at 4.00pm. We had the beef which was tough the vegetables were luke warm and yorkshire puddings were hard. Dread to think what it tasted like by 5.00.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
JonSmith18, Manager at The Island Pool, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Hi there,

i just wanted to apologise for you experience here at The Island Pool. We do try our upmost to keep the vegetables as fresh as possible and hope you will give us another try and see that your first meal was not our usual standard.

Kind reagrds

Stourbridge, England, United Kingdom
“no marks for disabled access, sorry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

our family of 8 thoroughly enjoyed the food, ambience,staff and Christmas decorations. A wonderful meal, very good value (apart from some of the sweet courses, which were minute for the price) BUT disabled access apalling!! I would not recommend this pub for anyone with mobility problems - a pity as my family and lots of my friends (unfortunately mostly elderly like myself) would have loved to make this our regular for pub lunches, etc. I am in a wheelchair
and though the push up the long ramp (squeezing onto it between the dustbins) was acceptable, the very deep step into the pub itself was definitely not (and possibly even illegal under the recent disability access act?) It was far too steep to get the wheelchair up and involved a lengthy and exhausting push/pull/climb for myself and my (luckily sturdy) sons. There wasn't even a handrail I could use to haul myself up the step. Other ladies I have spoken to have made the same comments and given it as a reason not to go again, so PLEASE MANAGEMENT, do something about this soon. Thank you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hi there,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us after your visit. I'm very glad you enjoyed your meals. I can only apologise for the lack of disabled access we have at the moment, we are however planning to extened/modify the building and when we do we will make the nessassary changes to acoomodate all of our customers. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lunchtime Carvery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was a first visit for my wife and me.
We arrived about 12:45 and had to wait less than one minute to be seated.
The venue is clean and comfortable. It was well populated but not overcrowded.
I ordered our meals and drinks at the bar which has a reasonable selection of decent ales (including Enville and Wye Valley).
There was a small queue at the servery but it moved at a reasonable rate. The food looked appetising and there was a good variety of vegetables with choices of carved meats (beef, pork, gammon, turkey). Quantities of meat served are about typical for a carvery. The carver served stuffing but it was help yourself to any amount of Yorkshire pud (you don't often find that!)
The food was of good quality and very tasty. Our only reservation was that some of the potatoes could have been hotter - that is a common fault in carveries.
The staff were efficient, polite and friendly.
Excellent value for money. At £3.99 why cook yourself!
We will certainly return and, if they can get everything hot, make this a regular visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi there,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us after your visit. I'm very glad you enjoyed your meals and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

kidderminster
“Excellent Place To Eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is are "local" as we live less than a 5 minute walk away. Were really pleased when it re-opened and couldn't wait to try it. We have been now at least 8 times since it opened on different days and times and have always found it to be excellent. Good service, staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. They do a vegetarian option which i always have and it is excellent. My husband is a big meat eater and says the beef is fab! For the price i don't think you would find better would highly recommend. We will certainly keep returning!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

stourbridge, United Kingdom
“What a delicious meal !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Myself and a few friends decided to give the island pool a try on saturday evening , although the place was pretty busy , we were undecided whether to give the main menu a try , as just getting a carvery ( you would think is alot quicker ) and we were all famished !! we decided to give it a try , we were definatly not disapointed , i myself had steak and oh how scummy it was , cooked to perfection and presented so well , i must say certainly the best steak i have had in a long long time , my friends seemed very happy with there choice of gammon and a chicken dish both very well presented , we will definatly visit again and try the carvery next time , so on the whole a good meal , cheerful staff , and didnt have to wait a ridiculous amount of time unlike some places that are no where near as busy , keep up the good work all !!!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hi there,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us after your visit. I'm very glad you enjoyed your meals and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!