“Train trip with my UK family” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Severn Valley Railway offers a fantastic heritage steam and diesel service between Kidderminster, Worcestershire and Bridgnorth Shropshire. We operate over 200 days a year and offer a perfect day out that includes a superb visitor centre at Highley Station called The Engine House.
Rathmines, Australia
21 attraction reviews
“Train trip with my UK family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had a fantastic time on this very old train. Had lunch at Kidderminster at the station. Very worth while trip. I had all my UK relatives with me.

Visited August 2013

Newtown, Powys
15 attraction reviews
“Marvelous day trip in the Shrewsbury Saloon car”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We spent a fantastic Sunday travelling from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth and back on the Severn Valley railway. We were a party of 10 and we hired the Shrewsbury Saloon observation car and had a 4 course lunch as we chugged along. I can't recommend this highly enough - it was excellent. We had Buck's Fizz and canapés on arrival, followed by hearty highland soup, turkey dinner with al the trimmings, forest fruit cheesecake, cheese and biscuits - with a decanter of port, coffee and mince pies! Fabulous value, fantastic service and outstanding scenery. We can't wait to do it all again next Christmas!

Biggleswade, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
“We were disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

It is perhaps easy to forget that this railway is almost entirely run by volunteers. However, that has disadvantages - we were unable to buy tickets at the booking office at Kidderminster at 10am, the volunteer ticket salesman having failed to show up. Fortunately we had enough cash to pay on the train (they don't take cards on board). The shops at the station were also not open at this time, so we just went to find a seat on the train.

We then realised that the volunteer carriage cleaners had also, I think, failed to show up: the window of ours was so filthy we could barely see out unless it was open. The seats too had not had a good cleaning in a long time - I know the idea is that customers experience train travel as it was in the 1960s but I don't really want to spend an hour leaning forward, scared to rest my head against the back of the seat for fear of what my be lurking within it. I was more than pleased I had some antibacterial hand cleaner with me!

There also seemed to be insufficient (again, probably volunteer) staff on the platforms (at Bridgnorth, specifically) when trains were moving off: we were getting onto a train that we thought was the right one for our return journey (it said 'Kidderminster' on the front), when, without warning, it started moving. We managed to get clear but there was no guard's whistle or anything. There seemed to be no obvious signs, and there were no staff on the platform in hi vis waistcoats or anything who could possibly see whether it was safe for the train to move, or who could have advised us which was our train. Next time we'll be really careful to make sure we know which train to board - and I would suggest others do likewise.

The journey from Kiddie to Bridgnorth is slow, and not cheap - £34 return for a couple. The main purpose of the trip being to see the scenery and visit the latter town, next time I might be tempted to look at the bus as an alternative - it will most likely be cheaper, the seats will probably be reasonably hygenic and I might be able to see through the windows.

I have travelled on other preserved railways in the last few years and, from this experience, I don't think this is the most interesting, or has the best turned out trains, or is the most well run. It may be that there are fewer people volunteering on the SVR now than in the 1970s/80s (when much of the line was first opened) and that is having an effect on the customer experience. It's sad, I hope they manage to sort things out.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“A cracking Day Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Travelled on the SVR on New Years Day and had a great day out. We travelled from Bridgenorth to the other end of the line at Kidderminster. Just time for some lunch before returning on the same train to Bridenorth. There was a problem with one of the engines but this did not detract from the day, we just arrived back a little later than planned but as speed was not important this made no difference to us.
The staff are all very friendly and we found it a most relaxing day. There were many stops on the line that you could explore if you wanted to do.
If you like steam trains and beautiful countryside then I would really recommend his attraction.

lancashire
9 attraction reviews
“excellent day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Visited December 29th a clear frosty day excellent views. Lovely christmas decorated trains and stations. Stopped in Bridgenorth and then caught the diesel train to Highley. The engine house at Highley is a must. Lots of engines and plenty of hands on learning for children. Would definately return on a summers day. Had an excellent bacon sandwich in the cafe at Kidderminster too

Visited December 2013