“Okay, but I'd prefer the Hampton Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Indiana
Chambersburg, PA
“Okay, but I'd prefer the Hampton Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Came to Indiana to accompany my son for IUP's orientation. Hampton Inn was already booked. This Holiday Inn sufficed, but it was nothing special and was a bit odd. They recommended that I park in the back of the building to reach my room, but then it was so darned hard to find my room once I entered that way -- signs didn't clearly direct me to my room which was actually in the atrium, not along that back hallway. It was better for a woman traveling alone to park in the front, pass through the lobby and through the atrium to my room.

Atrium/pool area was oddly quiet -- NOONE passing through or using that space both days that I was there. Whole place felt oddly dated, as you could see that it had once been a motel with outside rooms/parking, converted to an interior hotel. Atrium/pool area need to be updated. Room was fine, though.

Wish they offered an included breakfast in the morning as so many hotels do now.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Indiana, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Anonymous2_10,

Thank you for your feedback. Although it would be nice if we were your first look for accommodations in Indiana, we appreciate you staying with us. I'm sorry about the confusion in finding your room. Based on your feedback, our Front Office Manager will be instructing our front desk agents to show guests upon arrival, where their room is according to our hotel layout map. Our maintenance department is also looking into additional signage throughout the property.

I'm surprised that you found our courtyard to be quiet when you stayed since that's usually where families like to congregate due to the pool and hospitality area. Hopefully the quietness contributed to additional peace while you were relaxing in your room. And you're right, our exterior guestrooms at one point were exposed to the outside, and were then enclosed by hallways. This, and our indoor courtyard area you noticed, are what we think give our hotel it's character, and distinguishes us from some of the "cookie cutter" hotels you see nowadays.

Our staff will be appreciative to know that you found your room comfortable, and in regards to the complimentary breakfast, we do offer packages that include breakfast, or if you are a Priority Club member, we offer a complimentary breakfast as one of several perks you can select from when you check-in. Ultimately, we again appreciate you staying with us and providing your feedback, and if there's anything else that you noticed we excelled at or could have done better, please feel free to give me a call. Safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel was booked a week in advance. I was working in the area and the Hampton Inn in Indiana was already booked. When I arrived at the front desk, they had no record of my reservation. After a few minutes, and a phone call, they located my reservation for the FOLLOWING week! The girl behind the desk insisted that the person who took the reservation over the phone, only books for the dates she is given. Well, I certainly knew what dates I would be coming to Indiana, PA. Still, she insisted it could not have been their fault..whatever. I asked her, "Do you have rooms available for the week?" She said yes, and booked me for the week. She gave me my key cards and directions to the room. It was on the 2nd floor, no elevator. I drove around to the side of the hotel, per her instruction, unpacked my baggage, and headed towards my room upstairs. To my surprise, my key cards would not open the exterior door. ( I had two )Neither would work. I had to load my luggage back in my vehicle and walked around to the front of the hotel again. I'd also like to mention it was pouring down raining, so I was not too happy. When I got back to the front desk, there was now a line, so I waited. Once it was my turn, I explained that neither key would open the exterior door that was near the entrance to my room. She gave me two new key cards. I walked through the lobby, instead of out in the rain, opened the door and headed back to my car to retrieve my luggage. Unpacked it all again, and headed back into the hotel. Once again, I get to the door and you guessed it, keys do NOT WORK! Now I'm really upset because I just traveled a long way, put in long hours, and all I wanted to do was unpack and relax on a soft bed. I should have known by the way things started out that this was just not to be at this hotel. As I was starting to put my baggage BACK IN my vehicle for the 2nd time ( it's still pouring rain) A gentleman walked up to the door, tried both his keys, and they did not work either. He walked around to the front, came through the interior, and opened the door for my from the inside. I hauled all my (wet) baggage up the stairs ( did I mention no elevator?) to my room. Put the key card in the door, and... nothing. Once again, door would not open. I proceeded to walk back down the stairs to have my keys replaced for a third time when I ran into the gentleman that opened the door for me. He said "does your keys work?" I told him NO, his response was "Neither do mine". So... back out to the front desk to wait in the line again. I'd also like to mention that the two females at the desk ignored the fact that we kept coming back. Just acted like it was the first time they've seen us each time. I finally told the girl (Shiloh) that this is the third and FINAL time I am asking for new keys. If the next set does not work, I will be checking out and going elsewhere. This set final worked. As I entered the room, there was a very musty, moldy smell that irritated my breathing. The entire hotel actually had an odor due to the pool in the middle. The carpets were stained, and the room did not have a refrigerator as I had requested in my original reservation. As I was unpacking, the door opened up and the maintenance man had a refrigerator on a hand truck. He unloaded it and left. This refrigerator was dirty and disgusting! It had stains, dents and was totally dirty on the inside as well. I took a washcloth and tried to clean it up the best I could. It looked like it was stored outside in the mud. It even had leftover food stains and hair on the inside...YUCK! The sink was clogged and would not drain. I tried pulling the plug up and down and it was broken in the "closed" position. I used my fingernail and tried manually pulling the plug out.... Oh boy! I really wish I would have not done that! Total filth!!! See my pictures! The bathtub had stains and mold all along the edges. I was so appauled, but due to the time of evening, I figured I'd get some rest and check out in the morning. I stripped the bed to check for bed bugs... the room felt so dirty, I couldn't even walk in my bare feet because the carpet felt damp. I got NO sleep due to an itchy feeling the entire time! I think it was just my nerves because of all the stress this hotel caused me. I got up early in the morning and told the girl at the front desk that I had a reservation for the week, but was not staying any longer. Her response was... "OK". She never even asked me how my stay was.. they do not care. I got out of there as fast as I could. I drove a few miles further to the Hampton Inn & Suites in Blairsville, which was absolutely LOVELY! I wish I would not have wasted a minute, or my money, on this flea bag hotel. Travelers Beware!!! Please take a look at my pictures and judge for yourself!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Indiana, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear maryelle1210,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
IHGCare
Parsonsburg, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I have stayed at this motel before. My son attends Wyotech. I booked this most recent stay through Travelocity. I purchased this room by a "secret room deal" and I must say this is better than my previous visit with this motel. The room was VERY CLEAN and the staff was so friendly and very accomodating. I will defnitely plan on staying in this motel and room again. Well worth the price and so much cleaner than the Super 8 motel in Indiana, PA. Great motel and service-THANK YOU!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Benjamin W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Indiana, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Shelbert22,

Thank you so much for your kind review. As mentioned in some of my previous replies, without great service and cleanliness, even the newest, most modern hotels would suffer. Since we're not newly constructed, we maintain a strict focus on these standards as part of the core values that make us and our brand successful. We're happy to hear that you appreciated our efforts, and look forward to accommodating you again. Safe travels.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The staff at the Holiday Inn, Indiana, PA are exceptional. I stay at this older Holiday Inn for work and while the renovations are slow there is progress.
From Shiloh and Jennifer at check in; Dwyn and Ashley in the restuarant and bar the staff knows my name and makes a night away from home easier.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear John R,

Thank you so much for your review, and especially for the personal recognition of some of our team members. Positive feedback makes our team feel appreciated, and that our hard work doesn't go unnoticed. To mention specific employees really brightens their day. Obviously these employees exemplified a service level that made you feel welcomed and appreciated, similar to what all other members of our team also strive to provide. This is the foundation of our business, and I'm proud that these members have provided that standard. We hope to see you again soon, and when you do return, please ask for me so that I can personally say thank you for your loyalty. Safe travels.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

First of all I made a reservation for a King room and got two double beds. My key wouldn't work twice! The room smells like mold and feels damp. The smoke alarm has a rusty ring around it. The TV and mattresses are outdated. I'm pretty sure I have bed bug bites and I have only been here an hour. I have stayed in Motels nicer than this. I can't believe Holiday Inn Franchise allows their name to be associated with this place. I travel often and am a rewards member and have not stayed in a Holiday Inn this bad yet. There is a Hampton Inn and a Quality Inn nearby that I will be staying at next time!

• Stayed April 2012
Benjamin W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Indiana, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear lilirishgal,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that you didn't find your accommodations comfortable. Without knowing which room you stayed in, It's difficult to follow up with the appropriate personnel who checked you in, and cleaned your room prior to your arrival. Cleanliness issues are not taken lighly here, and based on everything you mentioned in your review, I would greatly appreciate it if you found some time to give me a call so that I can better address all matters at hand after getting some more information.

One thing I do want to mention now, is in regard to your comment about your room possibly having bed bugs. With their sudden and drastic comeback, impacting so many establishments throughout the world over the last 10 years, our staff has been well trained on preventing, identifying, and properly eradicating them if encountered. This is an especially serious accusation that again, I'd greatly appreciate your phone call to get more information. Since your post, we have had several sold out nights, and no guests have reported similar bites. But to be safe, I look forward to hearing from you so that we can be exact in our inspection and preventative measures. Thank you.
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Ive stayed here a few times. Fortunately most of the staff is friendly and that helps ease the pain for the very outdated rooms which is more important than any other service or ammenity a hotell can offer in my opinion. I travel 9 months a year for work and comfort is definately the most important thing about a hotel to me. Unfortunately the mattresses are very springy and just not very comfy. The rooms need some major updating. No refrigerator, no microwave, old 25" CRT television. Nothing is more of a disappointment when you walk into your room and the first thing you notice is stains, on the ceiling, on the carpet, the bedspreads look very dingy , in the bathroom, just dirty looking caulking. Its very unappealing and disappointing when I come to the realization that I need to live here for the next 3 weeks.

As far as other ammenities. During this trip I did not have a chance to stop at the lounge which has had some great service, food was decent in the past and drinks were reasonable if there is a Pittsburgh athletic event on tv and they have some specials going. The pool and entire reception area is the bright spot of the hotel. I really like the openness of it and would like to see some updating to the rest of the hotel to bring it current. It has potential for sure. I like the billiards table, nice way to unwind after a 16 hour shift at work.

Now on to another very important feature to me as a business traveler. And that is connectivity. the wifi is absolutely horrendous and I imagine it never gets better because ive stayed here on several occasions for weeks at a time and its always been bad. There is one wall socket near the nightstand and it is tied up with the lamp and clock (which of course I always pull the clock plug out since I need to use it) more wall sockets or updated lamps with sockets would be great. Also having it not all the way behind one of the beds so you can actually use it would be great but in this case it wouldnt much matter as its so worn out nothing will stay in it anyway.

Now onto my biggest gripe. Which is more of a freak thing but I was nearly shocked by the lamp which the switch blew on and sparked when I hit the on/off button. Very dangerous and luckily it didnt get me.

So all in all like I said it has potential, but needs alot of work to get there and i would most definately choose the Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn up the road before the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Benjamin W, Manager at Holiday Inn Indiana, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear davebressi,

Wow, where to start? First and foremost, thank you for staying with us, and for providing your feedback on what we're doing well, and helping us identify areas of opportunity. As mentioned in some of my other replies, we take a lot of pride in the level of service we provide, and we appreciate you taking notice of our friendly staff. Although our property is not newly constructed, we strive to have our level of service and cleanliness provide the most value for our guests.

I'm sorry to hear that your mattress was not to your satisfaction, and that there were some cosmetic deficiencies with your room. This has been communicated to our housekeeping and maintenance teams to address. All of our linens are constantly cleaned, and rotated with new inventory as their appearance and comfort decline. I'm sorry if you didn't find yours to be comfortable, but as with any Holiday Inn, we want to go above and beyond on all guest requests, so in the future, don't hesitate to ask for new linen. In the meantime, our Housekeeping Manager will try to do a better job of recognizing any that aren't up to our standard, and discard.

In regard to your mention of our older TV's, I'm happy to report that our new management company shares the expectations of you (and all of us at the property), and they are quickly proceeding with acquiring new flat panel TV's for all of our guestrooms. Installation is right around the corner!

Thank you for your kind comments about our lounge and courtyard area. These areas are what give our hotel its character, and separates us from the "cookie cutter" layout of other properties.

As far as your difficulty with our internet service, based on when you stayed, I can't even begin to tell you how many hours our Chief Engineer and myself worked with our internet provider to troubleshoot the cause of this frustration. Ultimately, it was determined that although all of our wireless routers appeared as being online, and were able to be "pinged" by the provider's IT team, several were'nt putting out a signal. All have since been addressed, and reported internet issues over the past couple weeks have disappeared. I can't apologize enough for the problems you had with this because this can quickly ruin any of my hotel stays when I travel.

I'm not sue what happened with your lamp to cause it to do that, and I trust that our maintenance team reacted quickly fix the problem, and prevent it from happening again.

Thank you again for your very honest and valuable feedback. Although you mentioned possibly staying at one of the other hotels you mentioned the next time you're in our area, I hope that you can give us another chance, and depending on when that is, hopefully we'll have our new TV's by then! Thanks again, and safe travels.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Hotel is clean but has minimum amenities for the price! Disappointing value for a Holiday Inn.....

• Stayed May 2011
Benjamin W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Indiana, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Catman22,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel. Without valuable feedback from guests such as yourself, we would not be able to identify our successes, or areas of opportunity. With that said, we greatly appreciate your acknowledgement of our cleanliness. As I'm sure you can agree, this is one of, if not the most, important factors in a guests' stay. I see that you also gave us high marks for our service, which we also take a lot of pride in delivering consistently above expectations.

In regards to your mention of us having minimum amenities, I'm hoping you might find the time to give me a call so that I can better understand where we fell short. Guests have always enjoyed our indoor pool, restaurant, lounge, fitness center, and complimentary high speed internet, but if there's anything additional we can provide within our means, I'd love to explore those opportunities. I'm sorry that you did not find value in the price you paid as compared to the accommodations and amenities we provided, but again I hope to hear from you so that we can discuss what we could have done better so that we can prevent you, and any other guests from feeling this way in the future. Thanks again for your feedback, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Indiana? Share your experiences!