“Top Drawer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of George Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bewdley
George Hotel
You added George Hotel to your Saves list
Load Street, Bewdley DY12 2AW, England   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Bewdley B&B and Inns
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Top Drawer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Booked on behalf of a relative coming to visit us and go on the SVR.

Exceeded expectations in all areas, notably; price, room quality and staff (all superb). Friendly and efficient check-in and nothing was too much trouble.

Will most definitely use again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
TrishWebb, Receptionist at George Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for your concise summary of your experience; I hope your relative enjoyed visiting the George Hotel, SVR and the local area as a whole.

I'm pleased to hear we’ve done enough to be your first choice of accommodation if you’re looking to book in the area again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I've stayed in other Wetherspoons hotels and been very pleased, but I was disappointed with our two night stay last weekend for the Severn Valley Railway 40s event. The situation is lovely, in the middle of Bewdley, with the river Severn two minutes' walk away. Lots of interesting shops around and excellent pubs and restaurants. But the George was noisy, not very clean and the double room we had was tiny! It had one very small window which we had to leave open all the time due to the high temperature in the room, even with a fan on. In the early hours we had a visit from an inquisitive pigeon! Fortunately when my partner leapt out of bed to deal with it, it flew straight out again, could have been a lot worse. I disagree with another reviewer that paying £40 a night means you 'pretty much know what to expect'. We paid the same at the Catherine Wheel in Henley and that room and hotel was amazing! The one thing I will say for Wetherspoons across the board is that without exception their staff are always very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Our friends had rooms at the front which were a little larger, but noisier as over the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TrishWebb, Receptionist at George Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We would like to assure you that your comments and observations have been taken seriously and the appropriate action will be taken in order to ensure we maintain our standards of service in future.

The age and nature of the George Hotel does regrettably mean that rooms vary greatly in terms of size. If you are to book with us again please do state your preferences at the booking stage and we will do our best to accommodate your requests.

Once again thank you for bringing the matter to our attention, and for giving us the opportunity to improve.
Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Old inn now owned by Wetherspoons, centrally located in Bewdley. Ground floor is a pub with the hotel occupying 3 floors above. Very quaint with creaky staircases and sloping floors. My wife and I loved the experience. Our room was generously sized with a large bathroom. Both rooms were spotlessly clean. Comfortable bed. We were on the third floor so no noise pollution but the rooms directly above the bar would doubtless be noisy if you were coming in before closing time. Would be worth ringing the hotel directly to check the location of available rooms before booking. I did so and got a very pleasant and helpful response from the receptionist. Overall a very pleasant stay. PLEASE NOTE that this review rating applies to the hotel, not the bar/restaurant which operates separately.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TrishWebb, Receptionist at George Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thanks, we appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback to TripAdvisor.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the olde- worlde nature of the building, and room facilities also.

The George Hotel reception team are more than willing to help with suitable room allocation prior to booking, I’d advise potential guests to contact us on 01299 406970 or gerorgehotel@jdwetherspoon.co.uk. I’m pleased to hear that you found the advice offered helpful and conducive with a room fitting for your preferences.

We hope you will visit us again soon.
Belper, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I've stayed in several of the Wetherspoons hotels and whilst none of them are ideal, the value and location they provide out way their short comings.

When you only pay £40 a night for a room then you pretty much know what to expect. The rooms are comfortable and have all the extras you need, the en suite is a little small but clean and functional.

I was on the 2nd floor so noise from the bar wasn't too bad and noise from the outside was ok, although a early beer delivery isn't conducive with a good sleep.

The breakfast at the Wetherspoons below is always good value.

Room Tip: Get there early for a parking space.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review.

I’m pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be of good value in all areas.

We hope you will stay again soon.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Came down for the rowing club regatta , well sized clean room,tea coffee and bottled water in room, large ensuite , comfortable bed, great pub below very frendly staff , good value breakfast and meals available, overall very clean hotel I think its common sense not to book a room above a pub if your a light sleeper we're not so great for us , will stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
TrishWebb, Receptionist at George Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Many thanks for your review. We’re delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope you will stay with us again soon.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our third Midland's Wetherspoons Hotel and the cheapest so far. An old coaching in given a 'spoons makeover. Good and free parking at the rear - a bit of a fiddle to find, especially as it was pouring with rain when we arrived. We were given a very small double room on the third floor which would be ideal for those under average height, only because of the doors which were very low. As I am 5ft7 and my husband well over 6ft2 this was a problem!! We had checked in after 17.00 and all other rooms were taken. However, once we had established these physical difficulties with the receptionist and the duty manager (both of whom were very apologetic and understanding to our plight) we were assured of a 'taller' room for our second night. I am sure that a younger, smaller and perhaps more romantically inclined couple would find the room - 301 - a blissful retreat but for those of us over 55 and tall it wasn't ideal. The next morning we were shown a much more suitable room which, once through the main doorway - again for those shorter in stature - we were delighted with the room. The usual good range of foods, especially the breakfast deals and lots of good ales too! I would add that the staff are, at all times, exceptionally polite and attentive. A vast improvement on the last 'spoons we stayed at, in Shrewsbury. Well done to the staff and management in Bewdley

TrishWebb, Receptionist at George Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you very much for such a balanced review. Painting the best first impression is very important for our Reception and Front of House teams and I’m glad to know that this is being delivered, alongside the standard of food and ale you expect from our chain.

Our hotel boasts a wealth of character; and the variations in both the layout and size of our rooms reflects that. We’re relieved you were pleased with your second room allocation however, and appreciate your understanding when we were unable to move you immediately.

I must also add that the Shrewsbury Hotel has undergone a full refurbishment in recent months so I’d urge you to give them (and us!) another try.

Thanks again.
Staines, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Let me say from the outset that I am a Wetherspoon's fan - I love their business model, their overall tremendous value for money and lastly, their always helpful and cheerful staff. But I have never stayed in a Wetherspoon hotel before......

Having read some of the negative reviews on here, I was a bit nervous when checking in. But needn't have been. I have just enjoyed two lovely restful days here. The reception staff were terrifically friendly and welcoming. The room was clean, modern, well equipped and quiet. Complementary tea, coffee, bottled water and biscuits were provided - and replaced when used! The bathroom (with instant, but effective, electric shower) was in a separate adjoining room accessed via a small lobby. It was compact but functional.

Parking was an initial worry. You will have to find a short term parking place near the hotel (30 minute bays are both sides of the street) while you nip into reception to check in and pick up a parking voucher. This allows you to park freely in the George car park which has to be accessed from behind by driving around the block. It is also used by George diners/drinkers so can be full (it was when we arrived) but there is a fast turnover of cars, so a slot soon became available. I am not aware of any nearby free on street parking.

Were there any bad points? Not exactly. I think prospective guests need to be aware that this is a very old building - possibly listed - so Wetherspoons didn't exactly have a blank canvas when upgrading and fitting out the hotel. Therefore, rooms will vary in size. Staircases can be awkward and tricky with many resistant fire doors to negotiate. There is lift access for some of the rooms. And the hotel does face a main road. Any hotel in such a location will suffer street noise to some degree - we were not surprised therefore to hear occasional noises from the street, but nothing that was long lasting or intrusive. And the main road is very quiet during hours of darkness - this is after all only a small country town, not on a main through route. As for that ATM machine one reviewer mentioned, I actually used the machine and couldn't hear it, let alone hear it in my room!

In essence, be aware of the nature and location of the hotel before booking. This will help avoid disappointments. If you are interested in booking this hotel, then I can whole-heartedly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TrishWebb, Receptionist at George Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for such an overwhelmingly positive review of your say at the George Hotel, and indeed the J D Wetherspoon brand also.

It’s heartening to hear such a balanced opinion and we’re pleased your stay exceeded your initial expectation.

We would love to welcome you back again soon.

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!