“A peaceful respite to the busy city” 4 of 5 stars

Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Easton Grey, Malmesbury SN16 ORB, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malmesbury
great neck n.y.
“A peaceful respite to the busy city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent 2 nights with friends and we were not disappointed.Our room was delightful and the bathroom was marble, clean and had a bath and full shower. The staff are very helpful and eager to please. The two restaurants are very different ; The Brasserie has a well rounded menu and the food was good. The other restaurant was a real let-down; pretentious, ridiculously small portions and very narrow menu. I would not recommend it regardless of the 2 Michelin stars.It was expensive and needs a real uplift in respect of the portions, menu and prices.The hotel has beautiful grounds with a charming vegetable garden and flower beds everywhere.I would recommend a stay but eat at the Brasserie.There is a spa which is of very high quality with many facilities and excellent staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Caddington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our second visit to this amazing hotel and having thought it couldnt get better, it did!!!. As on our previous visit the whole hotel team are courteous, kind and nothing is too much for them to ensure that their guest enjoy the best of experiences. The rooms are superbly well equiped and have newly installed B&O TV's and sound systems, the public rooms are so comfortable and the whole hotel exudes peace and tranquility, especially out in the gardens and in the spa facilities. And then there are the restaurants -- when will the 3rd star arrive I wonder- well done to Martin and his brigade and the front of house team. We can sfely say that the taster menu beats many other similar 2 star rated restaurants and the somelier certainly knows his stuff, whether its with the wine flight or individually selected wines, and all at sensible prices. Well be back again soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My boyfriend (at the time) and I stayed at Whatley Manor for what I thought was a special treat to congratulate me on securing myself a new job. However, unbeknown to me, he was actually going to propose - I could not have asked for a more perfect setting :-)

To start with, the gardens were absolutely perfect. After my husband got down on one knee, we strolled around for hours taking In the beautiful grounds and flowers - in my opinion this was 1st class :-)

Not only were the grounds breathtaking, the service from all staff was 1st class. Everyone you passed walking down the corridor always and I mean always said hello to you, which in my opinion means so much when it comes to service. We had reserved a table at The Brasserie only to be welcomed with a glass of champagne to congratulate us on our engagement (this was complimentary!). The food was fairly limited but what we did have was stunning and the service from all staff was once again 1st class.

It gets even better - the spa. WOW!! Although it's quite small (compared to Pennyhill Park), the cleanliness and quality of the facilities was outstanding, not to mention the professionalism of the staff. The therapists were out of this world and I think you would struggle to get any better. After an hours treatment we ordered some food and drinks off the spa menu. I really fancied a milkshake (i'm a kid at heart!) and although these weren't mentioned on the menu, I asked the spa team if this was possible and their response was "what flavour would you like?". Nothing was a problem, nothing was too much hassle - once again 1st class!

We hired the Skeppshult bicycles for the afternoon and went out for some pub lunch down the road. The scenery and setting where the hotel is located was just perfect.

I honestly cannot fault this hotel in anyway. Not only is the building absolutely stunning, the staff in my opinion made it. One day we will for sure return to this truly magnificent place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a perfect retreat to share with the special person in your life, or for just you. It is quiet, charming, beautiful, tranquil, exquisite, rich in design and tradition.

My friend and I had a fabulous day in the Spa - a special Birthday. Our beauty treatment was wonderful - a full facial. The food divine with a good selection. We retired with our husbands on the terrace in the evening with our glass of wine - a perfect end to a perfect day. I was hoping for a five star and we got a nine. I cant imagine anyone rating this less than excellent. If you do have a problem, then i'm sure the staff or Manager would want to know before you leave so they can be given the opportunity to put it right. I am fussy and, I choose my hotels and spas very carefully. I wanted a hotel that did not entertain hen or stag parties, especially in the spa, so I could be sure of a perfectly peaceful day.

If your looking for that extra special treat or romance, then look no further. I am reluctant to share this with you, as I would like to keep it all to myself.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

What an amazing treat.... if you get the opportunity to visit Whatley Manor, then you must go.. if you get to stay over night, then this will be even better.. the manor is stunning, the grounds and gardens are absolutely beautiful.. on a lovely sunny day last weekend I felt as though I was Alice in Wonderland.. particularly with the croquet lawn.. The staff were unbelievable.. helpful, kind, and very knowledgeable .. the welcome at Whatley was lovely.. Julia on the front desk was an absolute delight... the atmosphere at this truly GORGEOUS Manor was calm and relaxed and in no way snobby or pretentious.. the food was exquisite.. you wouldn’t expect anything less from a 2 star Michelin restaurant but everything was delicious, fun and interesting.... the spa is really special with different steam rooms should you prefer eucalyptus or perhaps Chamomile,,, the wave room was so calming, that myself and my husband nodded off for a while.. the treatments are wonderful and Varna who did my massage and facial was brilliant and a total professional.... we also hired the cinema to watch a movie 9£40 per couple with popcorn) .. what a fabulous evening.. would I go back? I can’t wait....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is our fourth visit in as many months for a light lunch, and every time, we ordered a simple sandwich. You would think they could get that right, but no, each time the bread has been stale. When we pay £10 for four slices of bread, the least they can do is provide fresh bread. Tesco do better sandwiches! This is very poor and not what you would expect from such a regarded hotel.
You need to get this right whately, otherwise we won't be returning! This hasn't only happened in the hotel lounge but the spa too when we were on a recent spa day.

On another note, £4.00 for a tea bag and some hot water is criminal. It just makes us want to go elsewhere and I'm sure we aren't alone thinking this. Time to rethink your prices in these current times.

Two disappointed customers that will be trying the competiton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Decided to go to Whatley Manor for afternoon tea after having a lovely dinner there previously.

Excellent service, we were made to feel very welcome. The manager stopped by for a chat to see how we were and the staff were attentive but not intrusive. All of the staff at Whatley Manor go out of their way to make your time there exceptional.

The afternoon tea was lovely, I had a vegetarian option and they will cater for dietary requirements. We had an assortment of sandwiches, scones, little cakes and puddings which were beautifully presented and tasted lovely, a great deal of care and attention went into everything, we were also able to choose the tea we wanted which again was lovely. The whole environment was relaxed and we were able to take our time over afternoon tea and just enjoy it without feeling rushed.

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon tea and will definitely be going back. Thank you for making it special

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!