“Martin Burge up there with the best !” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
WELWYN
“Martin Burge up there with the best !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Visited Dining Room at Whatley Manor as part of cinema package but we upgraded to eat in The Dining Room as opposed to Mazot.
Whatley Manor is beautiful, make no mistake. On arrival I had a pot of tea with ginger cake and home made biscuits in a luxurious room complete with log fire. We were then taken to the cinema to watch Midnight in Paris which was the February showing. Popcorn on arrival and you can take drinks though and order more when you are seated. Tip, get there early as seating not tiered and I had someone with a big head in front of me ...

After the film we were taken though to The Dining Room where an amazing meal awaited us. We opted for 3 courses but in fact ended up with 7 as we had two sets of amuse bouches and 2 sets of pre dessert dishes thrown in. Amuse bouches consisted of truffles, wasabi, cucumber and mackerel - all excellent. Warm bread rolls were brought to our table and these were very good too. I opted for the roasted hare with smoked shallot puree, confit of red cabbage and raisins which was gorgeous. Generous helping too! My main course was beautiful and light, steamed sea bass with oyster and lime cannelloni and a cucumber and caviar champagne sauce - just saying it again has made me want to return. The two pre desserts were amazing, a lime and mango type sorbet but the pear, mint and liquorice concotion blew me away mainly because they are flavours you would not think would compliment each other but they really do. If ever there were prettier desserts then I have yet to see them. Richard had the lemon and olive oil raviolis (see his picture) and I had the apple and maple syrup cheesecake. This came with little poached apple balls, caramalized pecan nuts, apple sorbet and a long thin piece of what looked like apple spun sugar sitting on top of dessert. Coffee very good, petit fours excellent - could not fault this meal and can't recommend highly enough.

91% Recommend
Herts, UK
“Innovative tastes - but beware the cinema seating...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The admin staff had bent over backwards to roll forward our booking of a previous month's CineClub offering - where you pay the "number of steps" for movie, meal and popcorn. We never got to see Salmon Fishing in January - and unfortunately were subjected to Midnight in Paris. Fortunately Woody Allen makes short movies. Unfortunately with minimal tiering to the 35 odd seat cinema - if you are little (like SuperWife) and arrive late (like us) you dont get to see much. Fortunately we had "upgraded" to the Michelin star restaurant - rather than the Harvester-esque Brasserie (although 3 courses for under 30 is not to be sniffed at). I digress.
We did the right thing.
The previous Saturday we lunched at Le Manoir for SuperWife's birthday. We found that to be agreed "best dining" from that which we have collectively enjoyed in the UK.
This ran Mr Blanc close. In fact the second half of our a la carte experience I thought to be better in all regards than the apple pastry cheese and millionaires' shortbread of 4 Seasons.
I'll comment a bit on my handful of snaps - and let Hazel give you the full detail.
After getting past truffle, cucumber, wasabi and raw root veg - 4 of my top 5 detests - the rest was a memorable set of matchups, joyously well presented, beautifully delivered to table by the fabulous waiting team, and superb tastes.
My highlights were...
the olive oil icecream (wow, complete with "prickle" on the way down)
the second pre-desert (pear then mint then way after, liquorice. REALLY works.
my veal and hazelnuts main - with every flavour re-raising the plate at each mouthful)
and the fact my wife enjoyed it as much as she did.

Service was added to the bill without being asked - which was a shame.
But that and the bread apart (which could have had fuller flavours)...
I would rate WM in my top 5 UK establishments (you can work out the others from my reviews).

I would definitely go back. And would expect to be suprised again. Edame beans always suprise me! i really shouldn't like them.

A footnote: the chap who gave this one star, having paid a bit more than a score for a bistro experience - AND - having scored 4,4,1,1 on the 4 categories (which my friend averages 3 not 1) - should be ignored. If you want to enjoy the full range of a kitchen working beautifully, go.
My wife will have counted - but going a la carte we must have had 8 or 10 things over the 2 hours. Which at under eighty pounds is terrific value.

If you don't go because of a failed fondue - you'll be the one to miss out.

Summary: a bit of a trek for us (4 hour round trip) but food this good is worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Superb Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was taken to Whatley Manor for my birthday. It is a beautiful, stylish manor house with the highest quality furnishings and ambience, plus 2 Michelin Stars. The dining room was quiet and charming. We agreed that this was one of the best meals we have had, and we have been lucky to dine at some very good places. Exceptional quality ingredients and cooking putting flavours together to take you to heaven. The foie gras starter was easily the best we have tasted. Service was discreet and we were never hurried. We started with a delicious glass of Bollinger and our Chablis 1er Cru was stunning. This is a place not to be missed. We would have stayed the night if they had room. It gets booked up, I'm not surprised.

Swindon
“Wonderful afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We recently spent the afternoon at Whatley manor, having afternoon tea, watching a movie in their private cinema, then eating in the Dining room restaurant.
We had a wonderful time, all the staff were very professional, and a real credit to the manor and themselves. The waiters in the restaurant really knew there stuff too. I'm diabetic, the chefs went out of their way to produce a brilliant sugar free desert for me to enjoy. Their attention to detail is a real treat.
Yes, I agree that drinks were expensive - £2.50 for a glass of coke, but you only do this occasionally. And there was free popcorn at the movie!
Highly recommended, we will be back soon.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wiltshire
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I recently bought my husband the 7 course tasting meal with the wine experience for his birthday. It was 3 hours of complete indulgence. The waiters, waitresses and the sommelier were superb with great knowledge of the food and wine offered. The food was beautifully presented and gorgeous.

The hotel's grounds look stunning, even though we only saw the front of the hotel but would love to go back and see it in the daylight.

We'll definitely return and try the a la carte menu next time.

• Visited January 2013