“Four Poster treat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Devizes
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Four Poster treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We booked a night for myself, my husband and two of our children .

We had a four poster room and the children had a twin room. Both rooms were excellent: ours was gorgeous, great view across the main square and large !! We had two chairs in the window and a chaise at the end of the bed. the bathroom was also large.

The childrens room was a twin, they were pleased with their room too, really comfy, the only down side I would say is that is was as far on the other side of the hotel as you could get. We were given extra keys so we could get into them whenever we needed to so this wasnt an issue.

We didnt eat in the hotel for our evening meal, it was packed and we wanted to find somewhere quieter, so I cant comment on the food, but from what we saw it looked good, and is obviously popular.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
JessicaHarrison, Manager at The Bear Hotel Market Place, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thankyou for your comments I am so pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay at The Bear, as you know the building is very old and all the rooms are different shapes, sizes and types down unlevel corridors, which although it adds to the charm it does prove rather complex when arranging the room types.I am glad you didn't find the layout of the rooms too much of an issue and that your children enjoyed their stay too.
Thankyou for your lovely comments, I hope to see you and the family back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

The lunch was okay, just the service was a bit slow we wasn't shown to the table, or given menus, I had the pork, witch was a little cold, my veg was very small, and a little bit to under cooked, but the creme brûlée was amazing and the price was only 50 pound for two course, and I had a three course, it was very dark in the bar area, there are better places to eat in town with a better atmosphere, and with no builders being lound and shouting, witch was a shame!

Stayed April 2014
Thank-you for your review, You will glad to know that our Bistro is now fully refurbished and open for lunch and evening meals. Please accept my apologies for the slow service, as you were aware our normal kitchen area was closed due to refurbishment. I will pass your comments regarding the food onto our Head Chef, who I am sure will take them on board. Hope to see you soon.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Decided to book The Bear for a pre-Mother's Day Afternoon Tea. We had the area by the fireplace which was very pleasant. Staff were pleasant and attentive. There were ample sandwiches and cakes and plenty of tea. Scones were light and crumbly. The hotel is steeped in history so many of the original features are still in place. All in all a good experience and at a very good price of only £11.50 per head for afternoon tea. We hope to return next time for lunch or evening dinner!

Room Tip: The Queen Charlotte Suite is nice quiet area for afternoon tea with nice touches of Georgian archite...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thankyou HolidayHaunts for your fantastic review. I am very pleased to hear your party enjoyed the afternoon tea, I will pass your comments on to Chef and the Waiting team who I am sure will be thrilled with your comments.
See you next time.
midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed with a Groupon voucher and probably one of the best deals we have had. The room was compact but very nice and the bathroom large and recently refurbished. All of the staff were helpful and attentive and the place itself was lovely. It is obviously very popular as the bar and lounge areas were always busy. A great stay

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi FiftyandChildFree,

I am so glad to hear you both enjoyed your Groupon break here at The Bear, I'll look forward to seeing you next time.
southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Just spent a weekend , through Groupon at the Bear Hotel . It was fantastic and nothing was too much for the staff , who were all warm and friendly . Groupon price was the icing on the cake , but normally they may have deals/offers too which makes it a great base for spinning off to see Bath , Swindon , The Locks at Caen Hill , Salisbury and Stonehenge .I have seen comments about the food but from what we viewed in the Bistro the food was fab too .

Room Tip: They only have one room suitable for disabled , so book it early if you need one .
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Debs,
Thankyou so much for your lovely review, I am so pleased to hear you had a great time here on your Groupon Voucher. Hopefully see you next time.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Two couples spent 2 nights here on a Groupon deal. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome and the lovely log fire in the cosy bar was a great draw.
Our rooms were spacious with all the original features you would expect from a building that age. Added to this were comfy beds, modern tvs and a complimentary box of chocolates. Although we overlooked the Market Square we did not experience noise and slept well.
We had the continental breakfast which was good. Thank you Judy our waitress for reserving chocolate croissants for us on the 2nd day because one of our party missed out on them the previous day! Nice touch.
The Bistro where we had our evening meals was a little soulless with tables too small to accommodate all the items necessary. However the food was well presented and of a high standard.
We would definitely stay here again and the fact that it is so popular with the locals when there are many other hotels/ restaurants in Devizes proves its worth.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JessicaHarrison, Manager at The Bear Hotel Market Place, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thankyou for the kind words, I am so glad you and your friends enjoyed your stay here at The Bear. I will pass your comments onto Judy, The lady from Breakfast who I am sure will love hearing your comments.
Hopefully see you all soon and Ill look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel
Jessica
Bridport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Difficult to put a critical finger on too many things but in general standards are not what they used to be. For us the restaurant re vamp with the loss of the table cloths is a retrograde step and on this occasion my breakfast was only warm and not too well presented. Shame but I guess this is the price of progress and margin management.

Stayed March 2014
As a regular of The Bear it is saddening to hear that your recent visit didnt quite live up to your expectations. I will pass your comments onto the General Manager in regards to the Restaurant, and I will also speak to the Breakfast staff in regards to your less than hot Breakfast.
I hope you will both return to the Bear, and I look forward to welcoming you both on your return.

Jessica

Been to The Bear Hotel Market Place? Share your experiences!