“A Good Deal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Mayfield House Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Mayfield House Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Mayfield House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   M4, Exit 17 | The Street, Crudwell SN16 9EW, England (Formerly Mayfield House Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crudwell
GreenLeadersSilver level
hampshire
“A Good Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

In the area on business, we found a deal at this hotel on Travelzoo. As far as the deal was concerned, it was excellent value. The hotel was welcoming, spotlessly clean and we found the food to be very good indeed. The staff were very nice and the service at mealtimes was good.

Unfortunately upon arrival (on a very cold day) our room was cold and the heating didn't appear to be on. The management were very pro-active, supplying us with an additional fire and doing their best to get the radiators to work, which eventually they did. But I have to say that after a long journey, one does expect to be shown to a room that is warm and cosy. I would have thought that staff should check the rooms that have been reserved, prior to arrival by guests, just to make sure that all is well - particularly in an old building where perhaps things do not always work as efficiently as they should.

Our bathroom was extremely clean and well-fitted but the shower was weak. As we had paid for an upgraded room, I would at least have expected it to have either a bath or a power-shower. The bathroom also had two steps leading down to it. No problem for us, but perhaps a handrail should have been fitted for use by elderly persons who may occupy the room, or for a family with a small child who may occupy the additional bed that was in the room.

All in all though it was a pleasant and relaxing stay, but I don't think I would have wanted to pay the full price for the room we had.

Room Tip: Difficult to comment because I didn't see any of the other rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Farnham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just wanted to get away for a couple of nights and we came across this small but wonderful hotel when we were searching for somewhere to stay in the Cotswolds.
What a find, a very pleasant and spotlessly clean hotel on Crudwell.
We arrived early afternoon afternoon and received a warm welcome from reception, the proprietor and manager.
We were escorted up to our room, room 11 a beautiful room, huge bed and enjoying a superb view over the countryside.
We chose to eat in and were glad that we did.
Dinner was amazing, hot, tasty, well presented and I am told using fresh herbs and vegetables from the hotel gardens.
My wife said her banana bread and butter pudding with banoffie ice cream was the beast she had ever had.
After a good nights sleep we enjoyed an excellent English breakfast before moving on to our next destination.
This was our first but certainly not our last .
What a fantastic find.

• Stayed February 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

6 of us went for Sunday lunch; aged between 4 and 67. We had the 3 courses for £15.95 and to be honest for that money we were expecting pretty average fare. How WRONG could we be?! There were four starters to choose from and I had the smoked salmon and prawns accompanied by brown olive bread and white tomato bread (they offered the bread basket twice without prompting too); both were very good. My mum and my daughter had the chicken liver pate with cider chutney and as there wasn't any left on either of their plates, I'll hazard a guess and say it was good! For mains we had a choice of beef, pork, hake or the veggie option and all of us took the beef option, with our 4 year old opting for the locally sourced Gloucester Old Spot sausages with peas and chips (he could have had bean, new potatoes or salad - a nice alternatively from what's usually on offer for the under 12's). Our mains arrived; two huge, thick slices of beef with a beautifully risen, homemade yorkshire pudding and gravy. We all thought the beef was cooked to perfection, although it was a little too rare for my 21 year old student daughter who is almost a vegetarian! Plenty of chantilly carrots, broccoli and leeks with roast potatoes accompanied the meat; the potatoes weren't the best I've ever eaten but none were left! We asked for extra gravy and the delightful waitresses were keen to please - the sauces were brought to the table on a platter and served by the waitress. I really didn't have room for dessert but as we were left for a few moments at the end of the main course, I found a space for one of the surprisingly varied desserts on offer - the blackberry and strawberry eton mess was yummy. Two of our party had the chocolate brownie with honey and ginger ice cream and another had the cheese board; all were met with a round of mmmm's and ahh's reminiscent of 'The Royal Family'! The under 12's dessert options were a small portion of what was available on the adult menu and my boy opted for the ice cream served in a brandy basket. The surroundings were clean, nicely decorated and the temperature of the room was spot-on. We had enough space on the table and around us to enable my four year old to play with his train on the floor without bothering other people (or indeed the waitresses), all the staff we met were polite of course, but even more importantly, actually gave the impression they enjoyed their work (not always obvious with young people regrettably), didn't pester us every two minutes neither did they leave us for ages between courses. We will definitely be visiting this establishment again and my mum and step-dad are planning to go back for an over-night stay! This hotel welcomes dogs although, and I'm being very honest here, I would never have known from my visit today ... the place was spotless (even the ladies, which I would guess were last refurbished around the mid 80's - the avocado coloured toilet suite almost had me looking around for Boy George!). This place is an absolute must for Sunday lunch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I arrived with 2 friends and we were greeted most warmly and soon shown to our rooms, both of which were very comfortable. Although we were only staying from Monday until Thursday we were treated as though we were there for eternity. All the staff were very pleasant, helpful and courteous. The food was excellent and service first class. Considering that the Hotel is not in a prime city location I felt that overall this was a first class and well run business and am sure we will return. A most enjoyable few day's. Thank you to both management and staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and i have been going to the Mayfield for nearly 20 years and have to say it is one of the best hotels we have stayed at. The staff are very friendly, helpful and extremely pleasant. The breakfast and dinner is second to none and i have never had a bad meal since we first started visiting. We first visited when it was privately owned and must admit when it changed into a Best Western did have my doubts because of it being a chain, but, my concerns were unfounded as the standard of the rooms, food and friendliness did not change, they still maintained the same standards as before .
This is my favourite place to stay, the rooms are always nice and clean and have all the amenities one could want and if it hasn't you just have to ask at the reception and they are always happy to help. I cannont recommend this hotel enough. How they do the offers they do is beyond me because the food is that of a high end restaurant.
The place it is situated in is very pretty location and nice walks can be had.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough because no amount of writing about it comes near to the experience of this lovely hotel, we try to get there at least twice a year and more if possible.
I have recommend this hotel to family and friends and all have been delighted.

Room Tip: I also have never had a bad room, therefore cannot recommend one in particular.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Attentive4, Owner at BEST WESTERN Mayfield House Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely, kind words ......... these spur us on in these "tougher" times!

One point of clarifty - we are STILL PRIVATELY Owned and Operated , being part of Best Western just means we adopt their high standards and great marketing !!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

What a find! Extremely warm welcome for ourselves and our dogs! Reception were a joy to deal with as were all the staff. Room was surprisingly large, warm, spotless and very comfortable. Sadly, we could only stay one night on this occasion, but we'll definitely return. And soon. Also, The restaurant was excellent with delicious food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

we arrived at the mayfield in january when heavy snow fall was all around ,the receptionist made us very welcome ,our room was very comfortable all the staff were nice and jolly this is one of the pleasures of going to a private hotel just that little personal touch .we stayed for three night and enjoyed it so much we will definatly be using the mayfield again .this hotel is dog friendly we will take jet next time ,the country location is ideal for walking a dog . the breakfast menu had plenty to choose from and i must say very tasty .we had friends come to visit us on the sunday night and all enjoyed a cosy night in the lounge bar on comfy sofas and a little alcohol ,and very nice was the booze .i would recomend this hotel jsut perfect no faults .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Mayfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!