“Perfect location and very comfortable...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fosse Farmhouse

You added Fosse Farmhouse to your Saves list
Fosse Farmhouse
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Nettleton Shrub, Castle Combe SN14 7NJ, England   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Castle Combe B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Perfect location and very comfortable...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights (7 & 8 March) whilst attending a wedding at the nearby golf club. We stayed in the "pink room" which is featured on the website. This is a lovely room and is well decorated, making me feel as if I had been transported back to the time of Jane Austen! However my husband (who is 6 foot 4) did struggle a bit with the low doorway to the bathroom but that is to be expected in a building of this age and style!

The Farmhouse is overall very comfortable and welcoming and the room offered plenty of storage space and was spotlessly clean. We particularly liked the fact that there were lightweight blinds as well as heavy curtains, thereby giving you the option of either letting the natural morning light creep in as you wake or shutting out the light completely if you prefer a darkened room in the morning.

Facilities are good with a well stocked welcome tray & kettle, hairdryer, toiletries and very helpful staff. Caron, the owner was not around on our first night and morning here but the two girls whom she left in charge were very welcoming and helpful.

Breakfast is a sociable affair as the breakfast room is quite small. We took breakfast on both mornings with 2 lovely Japanese ladies who were also staying there. Whilst we enjoy chatting to others at breakfast time, if you prefer a solitary, silent breakfast then Fosse Farmhouse would probably not suit you.

Breakfast was delicious (all locally sourced ingredients.....yum!) and, whilst not huge, was more than sufficient to get you through the morning (cereals, juice, tea/coffee, sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms and beans). There was also an unlimited supply of toast (served with delicious homemade marmalade and jam) and a well stocked fruit bowl at the table.

On the Friday evening, we ate at the nearby Salutation Inn which we would highly recommend....delicious food at reasonable prices. A word of warning......if you are eating out you will either need to drive or walk as taxi firms charge a £20 call out fee due to the countryside location of both the farmhouse and the golf club......as the Salutation is only 2 minutes drive away this seemed a little too extravagant for us!!!!

We would definitely stay here again if we were in the area......a really good find! Thank you Caron for a lovely stay!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
fossefarm, Owner at Fosse Farmhouse, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
I am so happy that you had a lovely stay here. The local pubs are a 20 minute walk from here however the taxi's are based in Chippenham so if you need to call one they will charge a return fee from their base which is expensive (it is a 12 mile round trip). I recommend that you bring a torch and walking shoes and therefore avoid the need for a taxi at all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent the Christmas day there and had lunch with friends. It was a day trip from London (less then 2 hours from central London). We arrived a little earlier and visited the beautiful small village close to the farmhouse (Castle Combe).
We stayed there just for the day but we had the chance to visit the whole farmhouse and appreciate the quality of the rooms and the annex. A nice combination of original features and modern finish.
We had a great Christmas lunch with all the trimming and we enjoyed the company till late evening. Caron (the owner of the place) entertained us with a lot of stories and information about the Cotswold area.

This is what I wrote her after the Christmas day:
" ...
I want to thank you for the beautiful day we had. The food was great, the company was pleasant, your place is fantastic and you are an exceptional host!
I really enjoyed your entertainment.

And we also had the final surprise: the praline you gave us as a present were amazing!
...
"
Massimo

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
fossefarm, Owner at Fosse Farmhouse, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
I love Christmas and sharing it with my guests from around the world is so special. Thank you so much for enjoying the Roast Turkey, Pudding and crackers with everyone - it was an amazing day!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights from 24th to 27th to enjoy British Christmas.

Fosse Farmhouse is located bit far from the station (takes 15-20min by taxi), but because of it atmosphere is amazing!
Inside the house, each rooms are warm enough, decorated beautifully for Christmas, and of course very clean.
Caron and two girls working there are very kind and helpfull all the time!

In the morning of Christmas Day, we found a Christmas stocking hanging on the door!!
What a lovely surprise!! This is one of the most exciting time during our stay!

Christmas lunch was really fantastic!
We enjoyed champaign, wine, Christmas cracker, joucy turkey, so many vegetables, christmas pudding, Minch pie...we ate A LOT chatting with another guests, Caron and girls until midnight.
This is what I want and everything was more than expected!

I can't write everything what I did during this holiday, but I had a wonderful and unforgettable time in this lovely B&B!
Thank you very much for everything, Caron and my new friends!!
I definitely will visit there again.

• Stayed December 2013
Romford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed the weekend of December 20th 2013 for a three night pre Christmas break on our way to visit family for Christmas. We booked the Dovecote for myself, my partner and our two children. We were delighted with the accommodation - it was a real home from home and had everything we needed and more. The weather was very bad but it didn't really bother us as we were enjoying some family time and had not planned any sight seeing. We had great nights sleep despite the weather. The children were happy in their bed and actually managed to stay in their bed rather than get in ours! I had picked the Dovecote as I loved the romantic twinkly lights in the ceiling and I knew my partner would love the individual styling of the accommodation. I have a very special reason to remember the trip as my partner kindly agreed to become my wife! Caron gave us a complimentary bottle of bubbly when we told her our good news! We hope to come back for years to come as we love this place and it holds such special memories. Thank you Caron.

Stayed December 2013
fossefarm, Owner at Fosse Farmhouse, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear John, How romantic to choose 'The Dovecote' to propose marriage to your beautiful partner in! I was so excited when you told me your news - so of course we had to celebrate with Champagne! I really hope that that you will invite me to your wedding next year and that you will accept a complimentary 'Honeymoon' stay - with or without the children! I look forward to meeting you both again soon. With very best wishes and CONGRATULATIONS from Caron.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Nothing of what we found matched anything that was advertised: Windy room, cheap carton new year tree, frozen bread in the fridge for breakfast. All managed superbly by mistress of Mis-hospitality. Her reply to our complaint: So sue me!

• Stayed December 2013
fossefarm, Owner at Fosse Farmhouse, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Christmas is a lovely time to visit Fosse Farmhouse as we always decorate the house and cottages in traditional style with trees and wreaths. Of course seasonal decoration is a personal taste and will not appeal to everyone but the majority of guests love it. Severe storms and strong winds of up to 70mph were gusting around on Boxing day night after you arrived. The weather was exceptionally bad during the night - fortunately the property escaped fairly unscathed. The Dovecote which you booked is on the first floor in a cottage behind the Farmhouse.Although your wife would have preferred to have stayed in the Farmhouse the rooms were all fully booked during Christmas - months in advance.As you booked on line through an agent I had no chance of speaking to you to let you know the room's that were currently available otherwise I would have done so. I think that it is grossly unfair to accuse me of misrepresentation just because you booked 'The Dovecote' which has a separate entrance behind Fosse Farmhouse and not the Pine or The Pink room.When bookings are made on line through an agent less than 24 hours prior to arrival it is not possible to give a refund due to a clients booking mistake.Please check everything carefully on line prior to confirming the payment - or better still just call the property first !
Uxbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night in late October 2013, arrived to a very warm reception from Caron, Our room was stunning, loved the antiques and the decorating. Not sure if the bathroom fixtures are original, but they were great. The shower was alittle tricky as you have to kneel down in the tub or have a bath. The breakfast was excellent and it was a great country location on our way to Bath. Prices are comparable to Bath hotels and most of them require two nights min. stay. Thanks Caron, loved your place and happy to recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review! The Pine Room has antique furniture which was bought in France and England. The bed head is carved with roses and there is a 'half tester' with drapes against the wall.The bed spread is a patchwork design of British Union Flags which I love - very quirky and different.Recently this room has been featured in a Japanese Anime called 'Kiniro Mosaic". Many Anime fans have been keen to sleep in the same room as the character Shino in the story. The bathroom fittings are Victorian originals and feature a 'Brass Telephone' hand shower. You have to pick it up while in the bath and wash your hair with it as it not really suitable to use as a standing shower. In the Anime Alice does exactly this but the water is too hot so she has to quickly jump out of the bath to cool down!
Thame, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Finding myself working late at short notice, I needed somewhere to stay - several big chain hotels were also in the area but were either further away or more expensive so I decided I would give Fosse Farm a call - what a good decision! They were luckily able to fit me in with no problem (the place has a lot of varied accommodation) and I had a room in the main house. As soon as I arrived I was checked in and offered a mug of tea and a biscuit (having arrived rather too late in the evening to be eating) and shown around by Ali and her son who were in charge while I was there. All very different from a corporate hotel where I would have been given a card and sent to my room to sample room-brewed tea with UHT milk, and a very welcome difference too. On settling into my room I was able to enjoy the full-size bath and the very warm and comfortable bed, in a very peaceful, blissfully quiet room. Again, quite unlike the "conveniently situated" hotels on motorway junctions.
Because I had to leave early the next day I made a special arrangement to have breakfast served to suit me and it was very good indeed - good quality food, promptly served on hot plates.
Fosse Farm is about as different from a corporate chain hotel as you can imagine and, as long as you are wanting to be treated like a person and not a package, you will love the difference. The place is full of charm, from the interesting range of antique furnishings to the extensive selection of collectibles around the house, from the solid doors and real keys to the deep baths and soft beds. To me, all these things made me feel I was a guest and not a customer and that is perhaps the biggest difference of all. I will definitely look forward to another stay at this charming hotel and I will remember it fondly when I watch the animé Kiniro Mosaic (or KinMoza to it's fans), in which the house features prominently.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fosse Farmhouse? Share your experiences!