“Served its purpose” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Calne
West Sussex
“Served its purpose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here over a weekend as I was on a business trip in near by Lacock. Yes the building is shabby looking, yes the rooms are tired and in need of decoration, BUT for two nights stay I paid £85 which included a full English breakfast (which was excellent I might add), so extremley good value for money. Be aware the hotel says it has a free car park, but this is tiny and a nightmare to get in and out of. Luckily I found another spot to park in round the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the back as the rooms off the main road can be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

OH MY GOD! Call Alex Polizzi or close the place! I have just returned from a stay at this hotel. It is, without doubt, the dirtiest, shabbiest and least friendly hotel that I have ever visited.On arrival I requested a light lunch, to be told that the restaurant was closed to resident guests and only open to 'function' guests. MY room was on the top floor overlooking the courtyard. It was very, very noisy till late owing to drinking revellers in the courtyard below. The constant ringing of clock bells ensured broken sleep all night. In the morning there was NO, repeat, NO cold running water in the awful bathroom. Think about that! My complaint was merely shrugged off and request for a tariff reduction was ignored. Breakfast was acceptable.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
lansdownehotelcalne, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Sir, I am sorry that you did not like your stay here at the lansdowne, i was on duty that day and the chef said that all residents would be intiltled to any food, and you was given a menu to choose from. If there was a problem with your room and we was told that day we would of moved you straight away, i am sorry that you felt you did not like it here, as all the other guests said how much they liked it. We are currently doinf refurbishments on all the rooms. If you would consider staying again we would like to put you into one of the new rooms.
Again i am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here.
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

should really have read the reviews on here first. when we got to our room the first thing we saw on the floor was a used sanitary towel. teh manager removed it and offered new room but to be honest we didnt want to chance it. when we asked for our complimentary wine I think the manager treated it as an apology! the bathroom had hairs on the floor and when we tried the bottled water supplied one was half empty(obviously used). there was no matress protector. iIagree with previous coments about the hall wallpaper, still not done? during our one night stay we saw the manager several times and she did not acknowledge us, or ask how our stay was. At breakfast there was no staff in the dining room, we guessed we were in the right place as we saw the buffet, which incidently had 'scrambled egg' which had seen better days, better skin than a rice pudding!! we were obviously the last guests to eat as when asked if we had finished eating the staff and child started helping themselves to breakfast.
we are very surprised at the AA 3stars.
All in all our weekend away was not what we had expected, advertised as having a 4 poster bed, obviously went during the refurb? spa bath was good though.
The A4 main road outside is very noisy, not helped by the double glazing falling out when I tried to open it.
When we left I asked to pay for the 2 drinks we had the evening before, we were told 'on the house' WOW
This hotel is obviously trying to be something it was about 20 years ago.Premier Inn next time!!!

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here after our son's wedding which was held nearby.
The hotel is very much in the style of an old inn. Our room was in the "attic" and was clean and spacious. We slept well with little noise.We found staff helpful and friendly. We only had breakfast at the hotel which we all enjoyed.
However, the pictures included by the management do not, I feel, adequately represent the hotel. It is a little dark and old fashioned. The facilities included in the rooms are good ie bath condiments and tea/coffee/hot chocolate facilities - better than the Travelodge! Also much better value than the Travelodge. The carpark is through an archway at the back of the hotel. When we arrived it was full with no turning area so backing up through the arch was a little hairy. I would therefore recommend that you look before trying it! We parked overnight in a residential area nearby.

Room Tip: we stayed at the back of the hotel .
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
I am happy to see that you found your room to your liking and that you enjoyed the breakfast we serve here. We are in the middle of refurbishments and due to the rooms being full now until september we have had to stop up stairs, and start down stairs. The pictures added are of the two rooms that has been finished. They are rooms 201-202, and as i mentioned two more rooms will be started at the begining of September. We do have a small car park and can be a problem when the hotel is full. We do try to advise guests on some where else to park if there is not space.
Thank you for you review and i hope that you will stay with us in the future, if you do wish to stay again, On booking if you would like to ask for a refurbished room we will try and book that room for you.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Fawlty towers was 5star compared to the service i got at this place, the room was filthy with wall paper hanging off the walls, The sheets were not clean and bathroom was a joke as the shower did not work and the manager did not want to know when i complained like she was use to it all the time and it was no big deal.
AVOID... Breakfast was just a fry up of grease well what there was left at 8am with food still on the floor from the night before and it did not look like it had been cleaned in there for months. The service was useless as there was only cold coffee and no tea and nobody about to replace it. I stayed here about a year ago and it was not great then but its really gone to the pits now.
If your thinking of staying here DON'T, sleep in your car it will be nicer!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest I am very surprised and sorry to read you were not happy with the hotel especially about service as we do not tend to ever have complaints about this. I can assure you I spoke to no-one at the weekend about a complaint of a broken shower if I had of we would have got it sorted out I have never spoken to a customer as if I didn't care about thier problems, there was also no complaint of any room being unclean to me, what really surprised us is we had a full hotel and the customers we spoke to were very happy they could see re-furbisments happening which pleased them as we know it is in need of work we have also had good reponses on our agency sites.As you didn't put the number of the room you stayed in we checked all showers we couldn't find a broken one and also no guest since the weekend have mentioned a problem. I am sorry you had a problem with the breakfast which is a shame as again we had no other complaints. I can only apologise to you again.
Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the lansdown as I was working in the area. I have to say that there was no parking on site which I was pleased about as the archway was very tight and difficult to enter, I parked near by in a residents area. The entrance is very scruffy and the pavement seating area filthy although the hanging baskets were pretty. There was no one on reception so I checked in at the bar, friendly staff. The stairs were worn and sealant had been used to fill holes in the skirting, the walls have damp problems and the paper is peeling off. My room was looking over the court yard which was fine and quite clean,bed ok but clean - the bathroom however was a different matter, dirty, drippy taps and the shower had been removed with sealant used to patch the holes and different paint to cover other joles. I am glad the hotel is being refurbed, it is in a very sorry state and needs huge amounts of money spent on it to get up to a modern standard. The price was reasonable but I would much prefer to pay more for better conditions. I will not be back

• Stayed July 2012
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear Guest, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay as you could see we have started the re-furbishments now, sadly we have only managed to do two rooms as we are full up until September, The work on the outside of the hotel and the main conference room is carrying on. We try very hard to keep the courtyard area of of the hotel clean which can be difficult as this is the smoking area for guests and customers. It is a shame you are not coming back as the rooms that have been done are of a higher standard then a 3* which we are.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

THE PHOTOS OF THIS HOTEL MUST BE OLD AS THE PLACE WAS ABSOLUTLY FILTHY!!
I booked from the photos and was nearly sick when I arrived! from the front door it just got worse. The room had blood up the curtains. I would not put a dog in there. I feel for the staff as they were very helpful and nice but......NO!
I could not stay there and left - try somewhere else and save yourself the experience.

Room Tip: TIP - choose another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest, Firstly let me apologise to you for your disappointment in the hotel. We have at the moment started re-furbishing the hotel, they have started on two of the bedrooms and will be doing all of them as quickly as possible. I would like to assure you that I have spoken to housekeeping about the problem with the curtain in your room and if you had asked to speak to me I would have changed your room immediatley I know it was busy so understand that you didn't. Please be assured that we do act on any comments given and although disappointed with the comment are glad you leave them so we can put things right. Again let me apologise to you.

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!