“In need of a full refurb” 1 of 5 stars

The Lansdowne Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Strand, Calne SN11 0EH, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Calne
Guildford, United Kingdom
“In need of a full refurb”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the lansdown as I was working in the area. I have to say that there was no parking on site which I was pleased about as the archway was very tight and difficult to enter, I parked near by in a residents area. The entrance is very scruffy and the pavement seating area filthy although the hanging baskets were pretty. There was no one on reception so I checked in at the bar, friendly staff. The stairs were worn and sealant had been used to fill holes in the skirting, the walls have damp problems and the paper is peeling off. My room was looking over the court yard which was fine and quite clean,bed ok but clean - the bathroom however was a different matter, dirty, drippy taps and the shower had been removed with sealant used to patch the holes and different paint to cover other joles. I am glad the hotel is being refurbed, it is in a very sorry state and needs huge amounts of money spent on it to get up to a modern standard. The price was reasonable but I would much prefer to pay more for better conditions. I will not be back

• Stayed July 2012
lansdownehotelcalne, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear Guest, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay as you could see we have started the re-furbishments now, sadly we have only managed to do two rooms as we are full up until September, The work on the outside of the hotel and the main conference room is carrying on. We try very hard to keep the courtyard area of of the hotel clean which can be difficult as this is the smoking area for guests and customers. It is a shame you are not coming back as the rooms that have been done are of a higher standard then a 3* which we are.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

THE PHOTOS OF THIS HOTEL MUST BE OLD AS THE PLACE WAS ABSOLUTLY FILTHY!!
I booked from the photos and was nearly sick when I arrived! from the front door it just got worse. The room had blood up the curtains. I would not put a dog in there. I feel for the staff as they were very helpful and nice but......NO!
I could not stay there and left - try somewhere else and save yourself the experience.

Room Tip: TIP - choose another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest, Firstly let me apologise to you for your disappointment in the hotel. We have at the moment started re-furbishing the hotel, they have started on two of the bedrooms and will be doing all of them as quickly as possible. I would like to assure you that I have spoken to housekeeping about the problem with the curtain in your room and if you had asked to speak to me I would have changed your room immediatley I know it was busy so understand that you didn't. Please be assured that we do act on any comments given and although disappointed with the comment are glad you leave them so we can put things right. Again let me apologise to you.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night in a single room. The noise from the fans on the outside of the building were ver noisy. The room it's self was clean but out dated. The tv had a couple of channel but the remote was broken and took a good 4 minutes to change the channel. The bathroom had mould and had seen better days! The food from the restaurant was average at best and breakfast was poor with more oil on the egg than egg it's self. Lack of parking as well as lack of staff.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Wiltshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Some rooms are being refurbished and these are okay but need hooks in bathroom to put towels on. Not a lot of parking spaces. Egg at breakfast swimming in fat!

Room Tip: Ensure to ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I only stayed for a night. As I walked through the maze-like corridor to my room I couldn't help but notice the wall paper coming off the walls. My room was big and looked ok but the bathroom was in big need of an update. To give some positive feedback I have to say that the bed was great and I slept well. However, I couldn't get the shower to work in the morning. They serve a full English breakfast but unfortunately they had used so much oil that I couldn't eat the scrambled eggs. I'm not a fussy eater normally but this was just too much. The staff is very friendly and I feel a bit sorry for them working in a place which is so run down. No matter how nice they are it doesn't make up for the fact that the hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments about the staff. We have started refurbishing the hotel as you know the corridors are being done in the next week or so and the rooms as quickly as possible. We are very grateful for your comments they are always helpful in trying to put right any problems.
north yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Don’t stay here. This is by far the worst, dirtiest, scruffiest hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at, how it gets a 3* AA rating I do not know.
We arrived to book in to be told by Keith (the manager’s husband), that they didn’t take dogs at the hotel, he was extremely rude and aggressive. I showed him the booking and confirmation and explained I had rung to make sure there was a dog friendly room available as advertised on Laterooms. His wife June then arrived to take over and confirmed that we did indeed have a room, but oh how I wish we had not.
We were taken to a separate outbuilding that smelt damp and looked grubby and handed the keys. The room was awful.
If you wonder why there is only an outside picture of the hotel shown please look at the photos I have added - this is room 233. The carpet was filthy with all sorts of stains, the window frames were rotting, the bathroom was dirty with pubic hairs still in the bath and mismatched, dirty sanitaryware. Even the coffee cups were dirty and mismatched – at least there was a theme of sorts.
We decided to sleep in our clothes rather than get into the beds and thought maybe this was just their dog friendly rooms.
We were wrong, we spoke to two other guests who had paper peeling off their bedroom walls, dirty stained carpets and unpleasant smells in the rooms, when they turned on the bathroom taps the water smelt of sewage.
The rest of the interior of the building was just as bad with wallpaper peeling off, stained walls and floors and very tired and dirty paintwork.
The dining room had wooden floors and there was enough food in the cracks to feed a football team, plus the cutlery was predictably dirty.
We will not be staying again, ever.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

I can honestly say I've never stopped in a dirtier, dated, smelly hotel.when I walked in it smelt really bad, but as I am not very fussy and only wanted the room as a base for the night, i gotthe keys to my room. The room was the worst I have ever been in, no facilities, dirty sheets, dirty bathroom and again smelt really bad. I requested a room change were I was then put n a room that was slightly better but still no were near an average standard. Kept having power cuts so couldn't even dry my hair so went to the wedding with wet hair. Fortunately I was able to ring the nearest travel lodge so managed to book into that. It was the worst hotel I have ever been to and I am currently demanding full refund from booking.com.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest, Sorry it has taken me some time to respond but we have only just managed to sign onto the site, please be assured we do read your comments. I would like to apologise that you were not happy with the first room you had, I thought when I moved you to one of the re-furbished rooms you seemed quite happy with it I gave you the bottle of wine as an apology as I don't want a guest to be unhappy I am sorry you were still disappointed but can assure you that the room I moved you to which had just been finished is above a 3* hotel standard. I can also assure you that we you had not paid in advance for the room as our agencies do not take pre-payment the card is given as a guarentee.

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!