“Fab stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Calne B&B and Inns
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Fab stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at the bug and spider for a wedding in the area. I was very pleased with the pub/b&b! Staff were very friendly and couldn't help us enough, taxi booked for us, went out of there way to make us feel at home!
Yes the decor could do with some improving, but run by a lovely family who certainly put in a great deal of hours even with a young child, who I must say was just as polite!
All in all a lovely place to stay for only £55 a night
Sarah

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dereham, Norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Yes it was cheap but it was also nasty. Maybe I was unlucky but I found the Bug & Spider very disappointing.
Room was a good size but dated and scruffy. The floor had obviously not been vacuumed - hair, fluff & general debris all over the carpet. En-suite (a triangular cupboard in the corner) was also scruffy, mould inbetween the tiles, no soap or shower gel provided, shaver light not working, shower hose and head leaking everywhere, small triangular shower cubicle that drained so slowly that I stood in 3" of water when using it.
Evening meal was a bit of a joke - 2 of the 3 starters were 'off'. My lamb shank was the size of a sparrow (an undernourished sparrow at that), the baked potato was microwaved and the accompanying vegetables turned out to be a small portion of frozen diced mix veg.
I have had much bigger and far better starters than this so-called main course.
Breakfast was better but a limited choice of ingredients for the full English served in the pub lounge.
The whole place needs a refurb and a good clean up and redecoration. General rubbish all over with cigarette butts, weeds and general rubbish all round the outside. Fixtures & fittings, tables, chairs, etc are basically all worn out.
The owners childrens toys were scattered around the pool room along with a pair of flip flops just sitting in the middle of the floor !
Got the impression that the owners put very little effort into making the place somewhere nice to visit so no, I wont be going again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Horsham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed for one night with my mother and as we arrived very late the kitchen had closed but they were so kind to still make us a nice meal. Everyone was very welcoming and the twin room was excellent - quiet, clean and comfortable beds. Very good value, and we were even given a birthday drink on the house! The breakfast was over generous and we could not manage lunch much later! I would stay again if we were in the area!

Room Tip: Probably the rooms at the back, furthest from the road would be the best, although we had no problem...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed one night for birthday party nearby. It's not 5 Star but what do you expect for £55-00 inc breakfast. Very pleasant staff,who ordered cabs, and and generally made us very welcome. Rooms nice and clean, and good size,unlike shower cubicle which a big person may struggle with. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2011
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed here to attend a wedding and it was fine.Room clean and comfortable, toilet and shower clean and it was good to be able to make a strong coffee the next morning!! Going by other guests experiences of places to stay in Calne, we chose well. Very good value for the £58.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Kent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Where do I begin............perhaps by saying that you will see the bug and the spider within two seconds of check in! I will also say I am not usually given to complaining and indeed this is the first negative review I have ever posted on TA........My mother booked the hotel due to its location as we were to attend my Aunts 90th Birthday party and had family travelling from Canada and Australia to attend.

We were told check in was at 12 Noon, and as the party was a lunchtime event we decided to check in and then go to the party venue, we arrived at around 12.15pm and first impressions were not great as we pulled in, the reception area was grubby and the carpet looked like it hadn’t bothered the Hoover for quite a while and the beer garden area was rather uncared for, and don’t even mention the strange smell, as a result hopes were not high as we were given the room keys, however when we got to the rooms they had not been made up or cleaned!!!!!!!! the lady who checked us in was very apologetic and said she would do them immediately once she had found someone to cover the bar so we changed and left her to it.

We arrived back around 11.00pm and had a drink in the bar and were then very surprised to see a group arrive in the bar with some kebabs from the local takeaway, which they preceded to eat in the bar and consequently stunk the place out! what pub would allow this?......When we got back to the room it had been made up and clean bedding put on the bed however, the poppers on the duvet cover were all broken, the blind was broken and would not pull up, there was no soap, and again the Hoover had not made it here as there were crumbs and hair on the floor and there was toilet paper in the toilet which would suggest it had been used and the coffee cups were dirty, this condition was generally the same across all the rooms in our party.

We went along for breakfast in the morning not expecting too much to be honest and we were not disappointed as the tables were filthy, sticky and had some old residue tomato sauce on from a bygone time, we used the polystyrene cups that were provided alongside the china ones as the china ones were grubby, however the coffee was disgusting and the orange juice sour and undrinkable. The cooked breakfast had possibly the vilest sausages I have ever tasted in my life and an egg, which somehow managed to have a runny white with a solid yoke! figure that!.......all this from a rural area where fresh local sausages and free range eggs are surely easy to come by, but it would seem buying the cheapest ingredients seems to be the philosophy here.

The price at the time we booked it was £48 which is cheap, however given the cleanliness and the shocking food we felt it was way over priced and then on check out we were asked to pay £55 which we declined to do so and to be fair the lady charged us what we had been previously quoted.

I wouldn’t stay here again if you paid me and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Dont go!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Spent three nights here while down in Bristol for a friend's wedding. The bedroom was clean and accomodating with plenty of room for my 2yr old daughter to run around. She also loved exploring the beer garden and going on the swings.

The staff were really friendly (suggesting places to visit while we were down there) and we had a very tasty breakfast every morning. We will definitely be back in Calne again visiting our friends and will be sure to stay at the Bug and Spider as we were made to feel so welcome.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Bug & Spider? Share your experiences!