“Not much to see for the uniniated.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Attractions in Amesbury
Type: Ancient Ruins, Cultural
England
4 attraction reviews
“Not much to see for the uniniated.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just a grassy bank and toe path along a river at the moment, with no sign posts yet. Durrington Walls is probably where the builders of Stonehenge lived, but it is still very much under investigation from the likes of Mike Parker Pearson and his team.

Visited January 2014

Tregaron, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
“Inadequate signing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Possibly the largest gathering place for celebrations in Neolithic Britain we went searching for it twice. It is reputed to have catered for up to 4,000 people at one time in the Neolithic period. People we asked in Durrington claimed to know nothing about it, a local dog walker at Woodhenge who stopped to talk to us, did not know where it was. We thought we finally located the huge curve of its outer bank north of Woodhenge and clearly visible from there, but thought it must be on Military owned land as there is lots on the road to its north, which we had driven along in our search.
We could only see the bank curving away behind a sheep field and fenced off from it, from the picnic area besides Woodhenge, which itself is clearly signed and laid out with information boards. When I got home I managed to find a picture of the signboard on the Megalithic portal. I wish I had looked there before we travelled as it was exactly where we thought with a sign exactly where we stood. I can only imagine the sign has been removed. It said it is on National Trust land and there is free access on foot. Disappointing in the extreme.

Visited September 2013
Savannah, Georgia
124 attraction reviews
“Not alot to the site, wouldn't have visited without our tour.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

As I did with my Stonehenge review, I will plug Salisbury & Stonehenge Guided Tours with Pat. We would not have visited Durrington Walls without the guided tour (I wouldn't even have known where it was). Without the guided tour, had I known where it was, it would not have meant anything to me. But...with Pat as a guide, he made Durrington Walls mean something. Pat served as a guide for tours while the excavations of the site were occuring and he can relate pictures and stories from that experience. Very cool site when visited with the tour guide.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Nothing to see here...move along.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Firstly, the picture is wildly misleading. There is nothing to see here - by definition, anything that needs archaeologists to bring forth is probably hidden underground.

But if you're on a whole 'neolithic vibe', visit this along with Stonehenge and Woodhenge (a henge made of...concrete) and then you can go home happy that you'll never have to risk walking through Durrington without bodyguards again.

Durham, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
“Neolithic Henge , Worth a Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

After visiting Stonehenge , take a visit to Durrington 2 miles away. To see the prehistoric landscape puts Stonehenge into context. What you can see today is the walls of the henge , using only antler picks Neolithic man changed the landscape , it is thought a community of several thousand people lived here.