“3 Star indeed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Amesbury B&B and Inns
Oswestry
“3 Star indeed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night and that was quite enough. We should have realised at check having seen the scruffy office where you stand at the door to check in and pay in advance. The place was a mess and there were even a couple of what looked like car batteries in one corner. Nearby the cleaner's cupboard door was ajar and an old vacuum propping the door open. The chap on reception was quite helpful however. The poor old German family in front of us were perplexed and we were embarrassed to be there. Room 31 was a total disgrace. It was dusty, the mirror on the dressing table was supported by a bar of soap!. We actually cleaned the light switches with some wet wipes.The kettle on the tea tray was still half full and was filthy. The beds were dire with no mattress covers and the spare bedding was dumped in the wardrobe with flat, stained pillows. There was dust on ledges, around the carpet edges and on top of the wardrobe was thick.The bathroom door had four holes in it and the bathroom itself was indescribable with the previous guest's soap still in the dish. The courtyard and sports bar were noisy until 0130 hrs. Breakfast was diabolical and the dining area and serving points disgraceful. It's about time the grading authority and the local authority did a snap inspection of the kitchen as we saw no-one with white anywhere. Our travelling companion left his breakfast to get a cup of tea and when he got back, the server had sandwiched his plate between two others then had the nerve to ask if he wanted it back!!
This hotel is near a world heritage site and attracts many foreign visitors.Forget the "quaint little place" and "you get what you pay for", this hotel does our tourist industry no favours.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I sayed here while working at Boscombe Down. I am so glad that I didn't have to pay for my accommodation.

I arrived late on a Sunday night to a room with an extremely dirty floor, scummy bath & cobwebs hanging from a curtain rail that is falling off the wall. As I needed to leave early in the morning for work and it was late in the evening I just went directly to bed. Upon returning from work I found that my bed had been made but the floor was still filthy. It was like that for the first 3 nights until I decided that they must not know what a vacuum cleaner is. I ended up telling the staff and to be fair they sent someone immediately to my room to vacuum.

Defiantly don't come here expecting any sleep on a Friday or Saturday night. There are 2 bars in this hotel and they are very very noisy. To make it worse one bar has karaoke. Trying to get some sleep before waking up at 6:30 for work on a Friday night was impossible. The karaoke machine might as well have been in my room.

And I don't know why but I have never heard so much foul language anywhere else I have been in the UK as I have heard here. It's certainly not a place you'd want to stay with your kids (unless your from this neck of the woods and use the f word 10 times in every sentence in front of anyone).

My tip, stay at holiday inn. I hope I never have to work down here again.

• Stayed July 2013

Travelers are raving about these Amesbury hotels

California Hot Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Now read the title to this review this way... "charming old".
Hotel is shopworn, but people are friendly, pub - well, this pub is what pubs should look like.
Breakfast with the orange haired server was excellent. Choices for evening meal limited in area, but they do exist. Not a spa hotel, just a room in a nice old building.

Ideal stop so that you can visit Stonehenge in the morning at opening - an entirely better experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in this 17th century grade II listed hotel (if I'm not mistaken) during our holiday. The hotel's currently in the process of being renovated I think. Scaffolding visible. When we arrived at the hotel to check-in, our names weren't there. Problem between the agency (Laterooms.com) and the hotel. 15-20 minutes we waited till we check-in however, the lady staff was helpful and friendly. The room was adequate. We had comfortable bed, flat screen tv, hair dryer and kettle. However, the room needs thorough cleaning especially the bathroom. Breakfast was good. Had dinner in this hotel during our first night and it was also good. We had a pleasant stay here. Good location. We visited some of the tourist attractions nearby such as Stonehenge, Woodhenge, Salisbury Cathedral, Old Sarum, Avebury Stone Circle, Avebury Manor and Garden. Visited the South coast as well specifically Durdle door, Lulworth cove and Bournemouth. Fabulous places! We're lucky 'coz the weather's nice. We had comfortable nights sleeping in this hotel apart from our last night. Understand immensely 'coz it's a Friday night and it's karaoke night. Heard loud singing and shouting until 2 am and that's about it. Apart from that, the rest was good. I can definitely recommend this hotel to those people who have value for money!

• Stayed July 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Recently stayed for a wedding, noticed it was very rundown but decided to stay as I needed a bed for the night after a 4 hour journey. Had booked in for 3 nights but checked out after 2. First night it was raining so people were not outside in the courtyard but the hotel still noisy. However on the Friday night it was horrendous until 3 am in the morning. Could not get any sleep with all the swearing, shouting and fighting going on in the courtyard and music from the "Sports" bar. Talking to the locals in the nearby shops they said that was the norm. Hotel was also very dirty, only the basics on cleaning were carried out in the rooms, toilet needed a good bleaching and there was a thick layer of dust everywhere. Carpets badly stained and no mattress covers between mattress and sheet. Overall very tacky, nothing like the description on the website. Stupidly did not read the reviews before booking....

Room Tip: Don't think there are any good rooms as friend was at the other end of hotel which was equally n...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Whole hotel was filthy. My room was terible, wallpaper hanging from the ceiling, mold on the ceiling, stains on walls, very dusty, bath panel was hanging off and split and the worse thing was the light fittings were full of dead flys and wasps. The whole place is in desperate need of refurbishment - very soon!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at this B&B not knowing what to expect as my employers book this. First Impression was place full of character however needs demolishing as the rooms were dirty, the grout was falling out of all the tiles in the bathroom, the bath panel fell off every time you went in the shower and silicon around the bath and wall tiles were full of mould. Won't be staying there again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!