“Need an excuse to return!” 5 of 5 stars

+44 1943 608484
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Box Tree is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 78 Restaurants in Ilkley
Cuisines: European, English, French, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: This small renowned restaurant has been a part of Ilkley since the early sixties. Now owned by husband and wife team Simon and Rena Gueller, the Box Tree continues to aim to be the best. The modern French classical menu and extensive wine cellar offer food lovers an unforgettable experience. Simon's commitment to the best, freshest ingredients, with an emphasis on locally sourced, fresh ingredients from farmers and other suppliers, will entice food lovers with favourites such as Roast Sea Scallops, Celeriac Puree, White Truffle Oil and one of our impressive signature Souffles The Box Tree represents a combination between 21st century efficiency and exquisite good taste. Whilst the kitchen boasts the latest equipment, the restaurant features a collection of art and antiques which define the style and luxury for which the Box Tree is famed.
Sheffield
“Need an excuse to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

As I am a fan of fine dining, my husband bought me a voucher for Christmas to eat at a Michelin Star restaurant and from the ones on offer I chose the Box Tree. We had the 6 course taster menu and chose to have the Sommelier's wine choice too which made the meal special. Each course was excellent in its own right and I couldn't really pick out one which was any better than the others, as each course hit the palette with new tastes and flavours. The wine paring made it expensive, but as the voucher had been bought at Christmas it didn't seem too bad as we were only paying for the drinks on the night! It was perfect to have the correct accompaniment to each course, with an expert explanation of each wine and why it had been chosen. The staff were courteous and attentive, making us feel special but not uncomfortable. I am already looking for a reason to visit again but as we don't live locally we cant just "pop" in. The restaurant is like a house with lots of small rooms with a cosy area by the fire for pre dinner drinks.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Andrew P, Manager at Box Tree, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments from your visit in March. Look forward to seeing you next time when you are in the area.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Sublime tastes, beautiful presentation, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Box Tree has been here probably 30 odd years, I ate here first about 25 years ago, was good then and is good now.
But I suppose it's 'what is good ?'
We chose the fixed menu, £60.00 a head.
Good here in this review means very, very beautifully cooked and beautifully presented food.
Good means sublime, new exciting tastes on your plate, and our meal was all these things.
We ate slowly, savouring the tastes.
The service was perfect, courses arriving at the right time every time.
So, what about the 'But ...' ?

But, the bill with tip came to over £150.00.
As we began driving home, both of us were still very hungry.
I said that the taste made up for the lack of food, my wife just said 'beautiful, but sorry, taste or no taste, I'm starving'
I've eaten at a number of Michelin-starred places and I always come away with the same hunger memories each time - where shall we go to fill up?
So his is not a criticism aimed just at The Box Tree, it's for every Mich Star place I've tried so far.
Got home, we ate hunks of bread and cheese and tapinade and pickles, very nice, filled at last.
One criticism about the food that does apply to here is the bread roll.
The waiter brought a small tray of bread rolls, and we were to choose and both chose the white roll.
The roll was much smaller than a hen's egg, nearer to Ferrera Rocha
'Ambassador, you spoil us....'
It was straight from the oven. A bit heavy, but OK
Next course I asked if we could have more bread? 'Of Course...'
And this was straight out of the Ferrera Ad - The waiter returned, spun round, and a young lad, quite small, appeared with a silver platter (about the size of a cartwheel !) on which was isolated a very small tray of the very very small bread rolls.
The waiter carefully placed us both with another of the micro-rolls, then waiter (and boy and cartwheel platter turned and went...)
Could have come from a very un-original TV comedy sketch, but no, it happened to us.
We were both in stitches - just what was needed, and it made the night perfect for us. proper theatre.

Another 'But'...
Other Mich-Star restaurants that I've tried were full of young-ish, trendy folk, mostly dressed to impress.
On our night at the Box Tree I think that we were the youngest there. I would put the average age of diners at between 60 and 70.
Calm, quiet, peaceful, pleasant, and very small portions of beautiful food.
if that's your thing, and if you can afford £200 (our's would have been that if we'd have ordered wine) then you'll love it here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Andrew P, Manager at Box Tree, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to us in March. Please to hear you enjoyed the flavours, apologies regarding the portion sizes. This will be addressed. Hope to see you again.
Madeley, United Kingdom
“What a 40th Birthday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife is a real foody and for her birthday took her with 2 special friends for the box tree taster menu. Fully lived up to it's reputation and Michelin Star. The feel of the place is timeless elegance not for those looking for hip and trendy

Visited March 2013
Andrew P, Manager at Box Tree, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed your 40th with us last month. Hope to see you soon.
N Lincs
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Visited in a group of 4 for dinner. Entering is rather like going into someone's house. Staff were v welcoming and were on immediate hand to deal to coats and hats on a cold wet evening. The restaurant appears to be a converted house with all the rooms interconnected which makes for an intimate environment The service was v efficient and timely. The food was excellent, if I had the slightest quibble I found my main course of John Dory rather overwhelmed by the truffled gnocchi and the sauce. For pudding I had a prune and Armagnac soufflé with a rum sauce that was heaven. The wine list is extensive.
After dinner we were offered chocolates from a large wooden ex-cigar box. Didn't really need anything else but they were v nice.
For 4 people we paid about £320 for an initial round of drinks, 3 course meal for 4, one bottle of Chablis and a round of spirits. Not cheap but worth it.
Would v happily return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Andrew P, Manager at Box Tree, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Many thanks for your comments from your visit in March. Hope to see you soon.
Rotherham
“Thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

What a lovely night I had with my partner on wednesday evening. The service was first class and the food was excellent. We had the taster menu and I had the wines, all superb. Wish it was nearer home.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Andrew P, Manager at Box Tree, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Please to hear you enjoyed your visit last month. Look forward to seeing you soon.