“A very pleasant break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ilkley
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Just returned from a midweek two night break at this hotel.The room did not have the best of views but never the less was warm and clean with a comfortable bed,however the bathroom although very adequate lacked any form of heating as the towel rail was not working and as the weather was cold and snowy one was not encouraged to spend too much time in there.Throughout our stay there was a constant problem with obtaining any hot water through the bathroom taps ,however, I understand from the new manager that this problem,through the age of the plumbing system,is taking some considerable time to sought out.I am aware that these comments may seem contradictory to the title of this review but the staff were cheerful and attentive,all the meals we had were of a high quality and well presented.I would happily stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Many thanks for your review, I was glad to read and hear you had an enjoyable stay over the two days you visited us. The hot water as we discussed is a ongoing issue but we seem to have turned a corner and back on track now currently.
I will certainly pass your comments onto the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Not long just stayed here with my family and can say it was a really nice surprise,staff friendly food lovely and the character of the hotel was fantastic lovely building, had a problem with the shower pole which the lovely handy man sorted out v quick n efficient , really enjoyed our stay and defenatly will be returning very soon.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review, I was really pleased to read that everything was just how you wanted your visit to be. The team are always on hand to help and assist for any request nothing is too much trouble.
I very much look to welcoming you back in the near future.
Croydon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed for a weekend a\t this hotel in a so called upgraded suite. I was attending a conference so I needed to be fresh every day. The floors creaked and the walls were so thin i could hear every word in the next room. In the morning the shower was lukewarm and the radiator in the bathroom was stone cold. i reported this and was told it would be fixed. The second night i arrived to run the gauntlet of a load of very drunk and foul mouthed wedding guests gathered around the entrance. If the creaking floors and wafer thin walls were going to spoil my sleep then certainly the drunken yelling both outside the hotel and in the corridor guaranteed a very tired morning and a spoiled second conference day. My paper failed to materialise. I would rather sleep rough than stay here again.

Room Tip: Try a local youth hostel!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
TheCraiglandsHotel, Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am sorry for the shortfalls during your stay.
I am the new General Manager and currently in my fourth working week.
The hotel is 150 years old, part of the charm I guess from booking a modern city centre hotel. Im sure you will have read about the hotel before choosing to stay. Your point about druken guests, something we can't be held responsible for as guests are responsible for their own actions.
Essential maintenance works have been carried out since the weekend regards temperature of the hot water and can confirm this issue has currently been resolved.
If you would like to contact myself personally I would be more than happy to discuss with you your recent experiences.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We were invited to an evening wedding reception and was excited to be visiting The Craiglands Hotel .. However when we got there I was soon to be upset at a lot of things :(
We were told to meet the guests in a room where there were waiting until the room turnaround was finished - on arrival into the room i shuddered - it was freezing- we went to the bar it was rather busy and only 1 member of staff behind the bar - when ordering he seemed preoccupied with others things then to be told there's only 1 draught lager on was a let down - I wanted a vodka redbull (not the cheapest drink I know) the redbull wasn't redbull but redboost and the vodka wasn't Smirnoff then was shocked to find out that it was £7.50 - this was a single too!
The ballroom was beautifully and the decorations fabulous but again the bar was a disappointment.. NO draught LAGER or BEER only bottles or spirits were on offer ..
The whole hotel was freezing with not on radiator on. The toilets were not the best - rolls and rolls of toilet roll balanced at the back of the toilet no soap in the holders and the dryer was hit & miss.

I was extremely disappointed in the whole experience. She is a stunning building but is in need if a lot of TLC and maybe even a revamp - overpriced and dated which Is saddening !

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you experienced a poor visit to the hotel for a evening reception. I am the new General Manager at the hotel currently working my 4th week. I take on board your comments about the bar maintenance, heating and products. But I asure you the wedding party were extremely pleased with the hotel standards and overall service.
Please contact myself at the hotel personally and would be able to discuss your review with you.
service. In the short time I have been here all weddings and functions have commented on how well the hotel looks, how helpful the team are and how good the standards are.
Once again apologies for shortfalls that you recieved, we have the right people in place with the right attitude with a good approach and good personalities and a willingness to deliver great customer service. I am currently giving the right direction and leadership and I very much hope we will be welcoming you back in the near future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We have a couple of breaks a year with friends from different areas. ..so we try to choose a location centrally to all of us Ilkley was ideal. .. After reading some reviews we were sceptical ! We found the hotel to be nice friendly and a good location. Like others we could complain about little things but over all for what we paid we've had a lovely weekend and that's what really matters.

• Stayed March 2013
Many thanks for your review, really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and everything was to your liking. I will pass on your comments to the team.
I very much hope we will be welcoming you back in the near future.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just spent two days at this Hotel. I have never wrote a review in my many years staying at hotels, but felt compelled to do one on this occasion.

We booked the trip via Travel Zoo and glad we only paid the reduced rate, I would have been so dissapointed to pay the full price for the weekend! Very cold in the room, the shower we could not use as it was too hot, the towel radiator was not working, making the bathroom cold. The bathroom was not clean, dust on the light and door.

Food in the Brassierre ok, had better - chef get your act in order! Overcooked Chicken - cremated fried egg for breakfast.

Paid extra for an executive room but had my doubts whether it was.

General Manager get your act in order and listen to these reviews. It is a beautiful, historical hotel but you have got to improve the standards.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review, I was sorry to hear that the tempertaure of your room was not quite especially the bathroom.
Please be rest assured in the three weeks I have been here as General Manager I take on board your poor experience.
I really hope I can restore faith by hoping in the future you will return back to the Craiglands as I agree with you on the potentially this hotel has.
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

very nice hotel, a warm welcome by the reception staff, everything explained well to us for our short overnight stay. it was a lovely very clean and spacious hotel our room was huge with a king size bed !! we had a three course meal included in our stay and we thought it would not be to exciting due to the value for money we paid, but we must say our meal was stunning the food was well presented and tasted amazing, the service through out was excellent the waiting staff could not do enough for us, well done to them for smiling and helpful at all times, and the same team served us our breakfast which again was lovely. well worth a visit many thanks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review, I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I know the team are always wanting to give an informal yet professional service and nothing is too much trouble.
I will certainly pass your comments to our head chef and his team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!