“Afternoon tea” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ilkley
Otley, England, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I recently purchased a voucher for a Champagne afternoon tea from TravelZoo & took my mum who is in her 80's as a treat. The car park was closed for an 'event' & parking was very difficult. After standing at reception for quite some time we were directed to the bar where we were again kept standing/waiting. A very polite but busy young man said to sit anywhere, but all the tables were either full or not cleared. I cleared a small table myself. Although I had said I was vegetarian when booking 4 of the sandwiches were meat & the other 2 were fish! The scones with jam & cream & the cakes were very nice. The Champagne was ok, but as I was driving I only had a sip! The tea was excellent, hot water was brought when requested & a fresh pot was brought when we finished eating. The service by the young man, who appeared to be manning this busy area on his own, was excellent, he was polite, helpful and apologetic about the delay in service. I have been to events at Craiglands before & did not think this was to their usual high standard

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
VAcil, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear 14114325,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

I am truly sorry that you did not fully enjoy your afternoon experience with us recently and can assure you that the vast majority of guests that have partaken in this offer have had a lovely time with us.

I am certain that had you metioned the error with the service of your sandwiches, we could have rectified this immediately for you. You are quite correct in stating that one part of our car park was indeed closed for a specific event, but we do have plenty of additional parking within the grounds of the hotel.

Upon your arrival to the hotel, we had just welcomed a particularly large group of residents for the weekend, a number of whom were dining in the bar area. If we had not quite managed to prepare your table for you straight away, I can only apologise once more but please be assured that every member of the team were on hand to ensure the comfort of all guests throughout the day.

I truly hope that you would consider returning to The Craiglands in the future & I am sure that you will be able to fully enjoy your time with us.

Many thanks

Grant Upton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just attended a wedding at the Craiglands and have to say it was fantastic! The staff were extremely attentive and the food was superb. The room was clean and well appointed. The only downside was when what seemed the hotel owner appeared and the way he was addressing the staff appeared extremely demeaning and abusive. Breakfast the next morning had a great selection of food and the staff again were fantastic!

We will definitely be back and let's hope the staff didn't take the comments to heart!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Damien1988,

Thank you for your great review. It is fantastic to read that you enoyed your time with us, whilst attending a wedding and I have passed on your comments to the team here.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The Craiglands in the future.

many thanks

Leicester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Having stayed at this hotel recently Fawlty Towers certainly came to mind. Luckily we weren't expecting to see a herd of Widebeest from the bedroom window, but some form of outside view would have been nice! All of the windows in the room were frosted glass, very strange. Having to ring down to reception to get someone to come and turn the hot tap that had stuck on was another entertaining moment that would have had Basil berating Manuel, followed by the room number falling off the bedroom door. Only in a comedy you might think, but no also at Craiglands.

Actually talking of Manuel, it would have been nice if there had actually been some waiting staff around ready to great, seat and serve us on our booked dinner, bed and breakfast rate. Having to go to reception on both nights to ask if they would be willing to send someone through isn't my idea of service. The lady on reception, as it turned did an excellent surprised expression when anything untoward was pointed out to her, but by the end of the stay, when you have had to comment several times about the same thing and you still get that same surprised look, you realise that it's a well rehearsed number. Sybil Fawlty on the front desk saying "I know..." all the time???? Oh yes definitely.

The food was ok, but the descriptions on the menu didn't match the food that was delivered on the plate. Both nights running three of dessert options had run out, including the vanilla ice cream. Well the hotel isn't in the middle of nowhere and there is a supermarket at the bottom of the road that doesn't take 24 hours to get there and back and so this would have been easy to rectify if anyone had been bothered.

And I think that last point is the issue with this hotel. There was no sign of a proprietor or manager, or anyone who was actually bothered. Basil was conspicuous by his absence and it showed.

I could go on, but you get the drift.

So what was good about the place....well simply the fact that we left on the Sunday morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ilkley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

As a local, I have attended a variety of functions held at the Craiglands over many years.
It has always enjoyed the reputation of being one of the leading hotel venues in this part of Yorkshire.
I recently purchased a Travelzoo voucher for a champagne afternoon tea for two at the Craiglands, thinking it would make a nice treat for my partner.
We made use of the voucher earlier this afternoon.
What a sad disappointment. Firstly, we discovered that over the years, the beautiful gardens have become neglected. Much of them have been torn up to provide parking spaces but in a very low budget way with gravel chippings spread out over what used to be lawns and woodland. The hotel interior is rather shabby and grubby and has the general feel of somewhere which has seen better times and is sadly neglected.
Reception staff greeted us warmly and showed us to the Brasserie area which was set aside for afternnon tea. The young man waiting on was very welcoming and efficient and he invited us to sit anywhere we liked. At first we tried the outside terrace but found it rather dreary. The large free standing cigarette ashtray next to our table was absolutely disgusting and filthy. It had clearly not been emptied or cleaned for a very long time and was crammed with old cigarette ends.
We relocated to the inside dining area where we were served by a pleasant young man who did provide very good service. The first offering was a glass each of very mediocre sparkling wine which was served far from "chilled". My partner had a very small cafetiere of coffeee which provided little more than one cup. I was served with tea which was excellent. Good flavour and strength and nice and hot. The afternoon tea sandwiches and cakes then arrived on a stainless steel two tier cake stand which looked like it needed a good clean and pollish. The sandwiches were pretty woeful. Cheap sliced bread with cheap processed fillings (and not much of them at that). They were so unappetising that my partner gave them a miss after trying the first one. Cakes consisted of a very "processed" tasting fruit scones which were doughy and again unappetising, a slice of lemon flan which was quite tasty but sloppy, some chocolate concoction and a tiny piece of sad looking fruit cake. All in all it was a very poor offering and the presentation was unimaginative to say the least.
We expressed our views to the waiter and the duty manager, both of whom responded in a very professional manner and offered extra drinks etc which we declined.
All in all it was a very disappointing experience and I was very sad to see the hotel which had always been such a prestigious venue, sadly going downhill fast. The place needs some new investment to restore it to its former glory.
Very poor value. Won't be going back in a hurry unless things change.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
VAcil, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Tyke4885,

I would like to respond to your review and to begin by apologising for what would appear to have been a less than satisfactory experience with us, whilst taking afternoon tea.

I must state that I am somewhat surprised at some of the points you make in your review concerning both the gardens & our terrace as since arriving here in May this year, i have invested quite substantially in improving both of these ares. indeed we have only in the last few weeks taken delivery of brand new outdoor furniture for the terrace and planted over 120 new rose bushes throughout the grounds in addition to an extremely large number of bedding plants in order to enhance our gardens.

This said, I was most disappointed to read your comments concerning the afternoon tea that was served to you. You will note that we have had a number of extremely positive reviews both on Tripadvisor and other review sites concerning our current afternoon tea offer so it comes as a surprise to recieve such negative feedback now. I am truly sorry that you did not find the experience to be of a suitable standard and would very much welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

With this in mind, I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel or at gm@craiglands.co.uk in order that we may discuss the matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course and trust that we will be able to reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion to this most unfortunate and extremely isolated situation.

Kind regards

Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

On arrival no parking spaces - lucky someone was pulling out. Got to room - dirty towels left in a heap in the middle of the floor. Expected a newly refurbished executive room would be above average but it wasn't. Relegated to conservatory for evening meal with one other party - took 3/4 hour for soup to arrive, another half hour for main meal and I gave up waiting for the dessert - the food wasn't worth such a long wait. Made to feel second class because a wedding party was in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DearAnn J,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am truly sorry that your experience with us was not what either yourselves or the team here at The Craiglands would have wished for and I can assure you that your feedback will be used in order to improve our service & hospitaility going forward.

I would like to clarify a couple of points for you in order that you may have a slightly different perception of the hotel. You state that your room was not quite as expected and for this i can only apologise. We are currently undergoing the final phase of our bedroom refurbishments and I can assure you that in addition to the improvements already made, the investment being made in these areas will refelct an extremely high standard of accommodation.

You are quite correct in your comments concerning a large wedding party taking place whilst you were with us. This would potentially explain the lack of car parking spaces, although we do have parking for over 120 cars within the grounds of the hotel.

As part of our standard procedures, in order to allow all guests within the hotel to enjoy their time with us, we set aside the conservatory suite specifically for our in house residents that are not attending a function. This is done purely to ensure that no interference from other parties will affect your stay. I am sorry that you felt as though you were being treated differently to our wedding party and can assure you that this was certainly not our intention.

In closing, I would once again like to apologise for any area of your stay that you felt unhappy with. We take on board all comments and respond wherever possible in order to ensure our guests comfort.

Many thanks

yorkshire, uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Booked a champagne afternoon tea as a sunday bank holiday treat but was very disappointed
On arrival we were directed to the conservatory where sunday lunch was still being served. Very quiet considering it is advertised as 'the best sunday roast in Ilkley'.I can only describe the staff there as rude. They immediately told us we were in the wrong place and hurried us out of the room. I attempted to explain that we had been directed there by the receptionist as we were frog-marched down the corridor - not easy with a child's buggy and with no help from the staff member.
We arrived in the bar which was very busy with a wedding party and the room stunk of stale beer. There were no visible vacant tables and when I asked if we were to have afternoon tea here, I was told 'yes, here or on the terrace' It was raining hard! We were asked to wait.
A few minutes later another waiter appeared & escorted us back to the conservatory - the original room where we had been directed to! Not very organised at all.
We were served tea or coffee, but no refills offered; delicate sandwiches with basic fillings that had been refridgerated so had stuck together; tiny cakes, some of which ok, some stale; and a half glass of champagne each.
They did offer a high chair which was broken and covered in old food when it arrived. One of our party is a diabetic and when we asked for sweeteners, we were told there was none.
The 'treat' was not cheap; I don't mind paying for good food and service but this certainly was not worth the money and we will not be doing it again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear jasu,

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to leave your comments. I would also like to extend my sincere apologoes for what would appear to have been a catalog of errors on our part.

I was, to say the least extremely disappointed to read that you afternoon tea experience was not up to scratch, especially considering the recent extremely positive reviews we have received concerning this offer.

I have passed on your comments to all relevant members of my team in order that your experience is never repeated and can only once more apologise to you.

I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me, either directly at the hotel or at gm@craiglands.co.uk in order that we may discuss your initial experience and hopefully reach a more satisfactory conclusion to this most frustrating & disappointing situation.

Finally, thank you once again for your comments & I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind regards

Keighley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Well it was a business meeting that i had to attend, the hotel is in close proximity to Keighley where i live.

There was a business meeting taking place, and i required a room for the short time i was there to have a smaller meeting with my friends, straightaway due to all the conference rooms and other rooms being booked they made avaliable one of there good size bedrooms for me to use.
They did not charge me and were very helpful in asking me if i needed anything else. Besides i was in this room for quite a while.
I would definitely say this is a good hotel to say in, though i didnt stay over for even one night my impression was made just on how helpful the staff were. I would want to stay in any place where they could treat an ordinary person waiting up on someone who happend to be in one of those meetings.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!