“Would never go back!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ilkley
Hyde, United Kingdom
“Would never go back!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

A party of 8 of us stayed here for my future daughter-in-laws hen weekend-age range between 25 and 56.Couldn't check in until 15.55h-rooms not serviced due to late check out of people attending a ball the previous night.When we did eventually access our rooms- they were disgusting-considering that they were supposed to have been serviced.Duvet covers on the beds were torn and the duvets spilling out-which were very poor quality and soiled.Cobwebs in the room and bathroom.Wallpaper peeling off and plaster bubbled and flaking.Dust all round skirting boards,and around carpet edges.Chair very badly stained.
My future daughter-in-laws room was absolutely filthy-underneath the bed was what looked like 12 months dust and debris and remnants of the underneath of her mattress.Mould growing in the bin.The bath panel was all rotten and flaking away as were the window frames.Badly stained furniture and all of the points raised in the two other rooms.Our friends upgraded to a superior executive room and they got a smaller room than everyone else,that was just as dirty.
The breakfast was fine.
The front of house staff were very professional but we weren't the only complainants they had to deal with.

Room Tip: Just wouldn't risk staying here again
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

To say how expensive the room's were for this hotel I wouldn't even bother I'd rather stay in a tent on Ilkley Moore! I felt the reception staff looked down their noses at you. The bar staff was very friendly and attentative though I must say. We had upgraded to an Exacutive room - if what we had was executive I would hate to see a standard room, it was the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in and would compare it's size to that of a cabin on a Ferry! The floorboards made the wardrobe wobble everytime you moved, the windows opened all of 2 inches, the mattress must have been 3 inch thick and extremely hard - very very uncomfortable, also the walls were very hear through and felt we couldn't even sneeze without being over heard! Also the hotel boasts Sky channels but our TV only had channels 1-4 and seen as there wasn't anything really to do in the city Town on Ilkley we stayed in the room watching Come Dine With Me instead. Would not recommend to young couples - ideal for older people and ramblers though.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed at the Craiglands Hotel as my sister's Graduation Ball had been organized there.
The website photos looked wonderful and rather up-market so I was quite excited, espically as the rooms had been booked at a special price so it was a little more within my budget.

The main building itself is grand Victorian and it's positioning in Ilkley is perfect, the ballroom was beautifully decorated for the event and the bar was sophisticated. - unfortunately as for the decor in the bedrooms they really need to hire someone else.

Even though we were informed the rooms we were staying in were refurbished - some still needed so much doing to them.
The room I stayed in was a double of adequate size however it was so dark!
I needed to keep all the lights on in the room at all times, even with the curtains open. The colour scheme (dark beige/brown) made the rooms feel smaller, and the toilets sistern was cracked in the bathroom.

We found someones old dirty socks behind one of the curtains in my sister room, a couple of dead insects on the window sill, a make-up stain on one of the drinking glasses, a screw lying in the bottom of the cuboard (where we were hanging our floor length gowns!) and some small stains (possibly coffee) on the bed linen.
There were no mugs or teaspoons in the bedroom and the bathroom didn't have an extractor fan.

The bed I stayed in was so uncomfortable I believe the mattress must have been very old, I had had a better nights sleep on an airbed at my sisters house the previous night.

The next morning I woke up very early as it seemed very light in my room. I looked over towards the bathroom (glass door) and thought I must have left the light on. When I got up to turn it off I realised it was the light coming though the bathroom window and there was no way for me to block it out.

The hot breakfast was adequate, the little pots of Jam delicious.

Overall, I was disapointed with the venue having expected so much more from what I had seen of the website and I certinly would not have paid the full room rate.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We were apprehensive about staying at the Craiglands after seeing some poor reviews on this site but had chose it as our nephew was getting married there. Also many of the guests were staying there for the wedding, so it was convenient. It was absolutely brilliant! The room was immaculate, as was the rest of the public areas of the hotel. What made this stay exceptional though were the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them - all we had to do was ask. They were happy and smiling throughout our visit, and so courteous. This was especially apparent when they were at their busiest, during the wedding, and in the early hours of the morning when we ran out of milk! We have stopped at a lot of hotels but the staff at the Craiglands are the best we have ever come across, and made us so welcome it was like visiting family. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Not so much for getting the best room but for getting the best service - if there is something wrong...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Galgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

I have visited the Craiglands Hotel on a number of occasions and have always had an excellent stay. The hotel offers ample parking within its grounds and is a short walk from Ilkley town centre. I found the staff to be friendly, personable and happy to help. The rooms that I have stayed in have always been clean and pleasant with high Victorian ceilings. I can recommend the Craiglands to anyone who prefers hotels with character and charm.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I visit the Ilkley area approxinatley once a year on business and again chose to stay at the Craiglands Hotel, As on my last visit (and review) I was very impressed by the further and extensive renovations they are making to the old place. I have stayed at the Craiglands a few times over the last 5 years and its great to see it being returned to what must have been its former glory. Even since my stay there in March last year there have been more work done and my room was lovely. My room was on a corridor being refusbished but apart from no wall paper on the walls all was fine. The member of staff on reception forewarned me about the corridor as I was checking in. Once in the room it was spacious and smelt freshly decorated.There was an amount of dust about but I put this down to the renovations. Breakfast was as good as last time.

I am a little mystified by some of the reviews that people have put on here about the hotel but everyone is entitled to their own opinion I suppose. All I can say is that it is an old building with its quirks (squeeky floor boards, hot water taking a little time to come through, corridors that go up and down steps) The staff have always been most helpful when I have visited and I look forward to returning when I'm in the area next year.

PS. There was also a sizeable wedding at the Hotel on the Friday that I stayed and this had no effect on my stay at all. If anything it made the whole place seem alive and lived in.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Whenever I visit Ilkley I stay here... it's a grand and historic hotel that has the effect of immediately propelling you back into victorian elegance! It's set in tranquil and picturesque country grounds yet within easy walking distance of town. This alone keeps bringing me back but to be honest it had suffered in years gone by from inevitable interior dating and was in need of being brought back to its deserved former glory. This has obviously been achieved with the introduction of new management and the last time we visited, over the weekend of the Royal Wedding, we were very pleasantly surprised.

The hotel has been almost completely refurbished and the improvement in quality was evident from the customer service to the modernised rooms (done kindly to retain the features such as the beautiful sash windows) and possibly the most obvious improvement was the food. I remember eating a meal there a few years ago that I can only equate to plastic and as such had not eaten there since but the new brasserie offered a diverse and mouthwatering menu and the adjacent bar, a space for a quiet after dinner drink. We had also experienced prompt and friendly room service of some tasty nachos the night before!

Overall highly recommended, thank you Craiglands!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!