“Little Gem” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Rombalds Hotel & Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West View, Wells Road, Ilkley LS29 9JG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ilkley
w, yorks
“Little Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I visited the Rombalds in August for a weekend break with my partner; all I can say is what a hidden gem this is and did not see any of the things in the below comment. The hotel does not advertise a lift, so pack accordingly as we did. I would not expect anyone to carry my bags anywhere, we don’t have slaves anymore.
When we were shown to our room I was very surprised how spacious this was. I’m a bit of a stickler about the cleanliness and the first thing I always look at is the bathroom and the tea& coffee making facilities. I was very pleased these were spotless like the rest of the room. The staff was very professional and answered any questions we had and the food was lovely.
I know I don’t live a million miles away, but it’s good to find somewhere you can feel you are.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin C, Owner at BEST WESTERN Rombalds Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Delighted that our housekeeping was up to standard and that you enjoyed your break with us - see you again soon, I hope.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

arrived to the hotel after traveling from Liverpool. checking in was great efficient and friendly I had a few queries about the area but the lady I spoke to was more then happy to help and because I have a leg disability they offered to carry my bags up stairs which was great. the room was lovely nice clean and homely. so later that day we had dinner in the restaurant and WOW I have been to many establishments and I have never had food like I have had here before beautifully presented and the service from the staff is what made the stay even more special I felt like I was being treated like a king I think a lot of hotels can learn a lot from rombalds so take note: Don't stop what your doing its great I will be back again and I will tell everyone that listens to come here even just for the Food

Room Tip: Have Dinner Here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Won't show Chef this review or he'll be looking for a salary increase!
Seriously though, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Rombalds.
Cranbrook, Kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here after several nights at B&Bs elsewhere. The B&Bs were cheaper, the rooms were twice the size and the facilities far superior. On arrival here we were greeted (?) by a surly receptionist. There was no offer of help with our luggage (two heavy cases up two flights of stairs). In the room, we found that the cups and kettle provided were dirty and that there was mould around the bath. More particularly the water in the shower was cold. Not lukewarm, not tepid. Cold. This was the situation both in the afternoon/evening and the following morning. During the night a loud hum which came on and went off several times kept us awake. It was at its loudest at 4.00 a.m. There was no evidence of air conditioning and none was needed. Definitely not recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I apologise for not exceeding your expectations during your visit to Rombalds as we strive to ensure that each and every guest’s experience is enjoyable and satisfying.

I have looked into your comments in detail and discussed your issues with members of the team to try and shed some light as to why your stay with us went so terribly wrong.

With regard to the hot water, or lack of it, as we tried to explain to your wife in the morning when you left, on the day of your check in we had a burst pipe in the boiler room and therefore there is the possibility that an air lock had caused the problem as a result of the water having been turned off for a good part of that day. I cannot however understand why the following morning you still had no hot water as it is the same system that feeds both the wash hand basin, the bath and the shower and your wife told us that there was hot water to the sink and bath but none to the shower. As soon as you left, our maintenance engineer was asked to check the shower and he reported back that there was hot water to both the sink and the shower. A new shower control was recently fitted to the shower in your room and I can only surmise that, as has happened in the past since this work was done, you interpreted the instructions on the shower dial wrongly and turned the lever the wrong way.

Whilst in the room our maintenance engineer checked the grouting and did identify some discolouring in one corner of the bath for which I apologise and I can confirm that this has now been rectified. With regard to the cups and kettle again please accept my apologies as this has obviously been missed by housekeeping when servicing the room and again by duty management at room check.

Regarding the persistent loud humming noise you mention, all pumps etc., which could have caused such a noise are on time switches and are turned off during the night. I can assure you that we are still looking into this to see if we can determine where the noise was coming from but at the moment I am unable to shed any light on the matter as the noise seems to have stopped.

I have spoken to the receptionist re her apparent surliness on check in and for this she sincerely apologises if she has caused you offence. It is our policy to offer assistance with luggage and again she is sorry for omitting to offer to carry your luggage to your room for you, this is indeed one of our minimum standards which I will reiterate to staff members.

As also mentioned to your wife, had you brought these matters to our attention at the time then we would have been only too pleased to either rectify the problems there and then or moved you to an alternative room should this have been necessary.

Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving in the areas in which you felt we fell short.

If I can provide any further information or be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly on 01943 603201.
SHROPSHIRE UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a characterful hotel, with spotlessly clean bedrooms and pleasant dining room. The welcome was courteous and efficient.Good breakfast, promptly served. My room was at the front and was peaceful. There is a stiff walk up from town, which is only a few minutes away. You can walk or drive onto the moor from here so ideal for walkers or those with a more leisurely intent. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind comments hope to see you back in Ilkley, and of course at Rombalds, soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is an excellent spot for those visiting the area. Quite small, set in a location above the centre of Ilkley, with good views from the rooms at the front. Whilst on a road, it's peaceful at night. Our room was a suite, with a smart en suite(cast iron bath), a four poster bed and a separate lounge which was all very comfortable, though we prefer a firmer and larger bed. We stayed on a DBB basis and had outstanding meals throughout. In fact we were surprised that the place wasn't full. The food is great and the wine list reasonable. There is ample parking tucked at the back of the hotel. Staff were very helpful and efficient. The only small niggle was that they advertise Wifi throughout the hotel and rooms but we couldn't connect effectively. However there is an laptop in the lounge bar for guest use.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for that, I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.

We are aware that the WIFI reception is spasmodic and are currently installing an update which will hopefully sort this out. In the interim however we offer a hard wired alternative which can be borrowed from reception for use in your room if required.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel was conveniently located for both the town (if you have the stamina to get back up the hill!) and the dales. After a 4 1/2 hour drive to get there (arriving at about 4pm) we were disappointed to be told we couldn't even get a sandwich until 6pm because the chef had gone home. The public areas of the hotel were pleasant, clean and comfortable, and we were at least able to get a cup of coffee. The room was pleasant, the bed was large and very comfortable, but the other furniture and décor did seem a little tired considering our room wasn't exactly cheap (listed as deluxe). There was some sort of a mix up with our booking and upon checkout I was asked to pay £88 - I'd already paid for the room and I paid £110! I'm wondering if we were given the wrong room...We only saw two members of staff during our time there, both of whom were polite and courteous.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I don't know what happened here, but I can assure you that we should offer a limited lounge menu consisting of sandwiches, pastries scones etc. throughout the day. I am so sorry that this wasn't the case when you arrived and I have taken steps to make sure that all members of staff are aware of this!

I am informed that you were mistakenly handed the agent's bill for your stay, so again please accept my apologies for that.

Hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rombalds in the not too distant future.
london, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here before we stared out to walk the Dales Way. The room wasn't the biggest but was immaculately clean and the bed was very comfortable. It is handily situated for the centre of town - although there is a stiff walk back up to the hotel - and the staff were very friendly. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening but breakfast was very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin C, Owner at BEST WESTERN Rombalds Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. I hope that you enjoyed the Dales Way and that the weather was kind to you. Hopefully the walk up the hill the night before and the breakfast in the morning set you up for your first day's walk!

Been to BEST WESTERN Rombalds Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!