“Cosy pub. Good service and lovely food.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 54 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Cuisines: English
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A REAL YORKSHIRE WELCOME AWAITS...The White Lion Hotel is a traditional coaching inn, with exposed timber and masonry, an abundance of comfortable corners to hide in, and always a warm and friendly atmosphere. Set on a riverside location in central Hebden Bridge, the inn has always been well known for fine, yet informal and relaxed country ‘pub’ dining, and its extensive choice of wines and real cask ales. All of which can be enjoyed throughout the year, whether that be in front of a roaring log fire, or in one of our scenic riverside cobbled courtyards. Surrounded by true Yorkshire history and the stunning countryside of the deep ravined valleys of Calderdale; the area is popular with walkers, cyclists, country lovers, and those just in search of a contrast to a hectic lifestyle. The countryside can be easily accessed by foot straight from the doorstep of the inn, and that same doorstep has frequently offered a place of respite to many attempting the Pennine Way. Also within easy access to the rail and motorway networks, and just far enough away from the vibrant cities of Leeds and Manchester; the inn is centrally based for business or leisure. And if you were to require an excuse to stay with us for longer, then there are 10 spacious en-suite rooms to choose from. The newly refurbished boutique bedrooms, with Victorian roll-top baths and deep luxurious colours, are complimented by family rooms and courtyard cottages - with the riverside literally at your front door. Dated 1657, the White Lion Hotel is reputed to be the oldest building in the beautiful town of Hebden Bridge, which is renown for its independent lifestyle, creativity, and philosophy - the Yorkshire way! Now under new ownership since September 2011 and with a full building refurbishment to be completed by December 2011; we look forward to welcoming you soon...
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Cosy pub. Good service and lovely food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We visited on a Saturday at lunchtime and had a lovely meal here with friends. Our friends have visited a number of times as they are local to the area. When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly member of staff and sat near the warm fire. The food was delicious. We started with a fondue to share which was lovely, although the olives were an unusual choice to dip in the melted cheese. I chose the steak pie which was a large portion and tasty. For me there was a little too much gravy but that's just my personal preference. The pork pie and the burger were apparently delicious and the chips we're very tasty too. We were all too full for a dessert but there was a good choice. Prices were reasonable for the quality of food. Would definitely come back next time we visit Hebden Bridge.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
“Vile”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Customer service was absolutely shocking the bar maid is extremely rude the chef got our order wrong me and my 75 yr old nan had finished our meals before my girlfriend even got hers when you pay 8 pounds for a sandwich you expect it to be nice and on time the food was bland i will not be returning and i will not be telling people to visit i was disgusted by the service

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, United Kingdom
“True pub as it should be!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have been to this pub several times for food and for business meetings. I thought it about time I wrote a review.
So firstly I would like to say that the pub itself is lovely. It is well decorated with a modern decor mixed with what you would expect from the old school local pub. It is always clean and It is spacious yet cosy. The cosy factor is also helped along by the roaring open fire in the main area which is always well maintained and always roaring on any chilly days.

I have had the experience of using the function room upstairs for a business training day. The staff were very helpful in providing us with much needed coffee and anything else we needed. On this occasion there was a buffet style meal included and the food was a mixture of hot and cold food which was of a very high standard.

On other occasions I have eaten there for business lunches and have found that I have never had any cause for complaint in the food... it is always stunning and I have always recommended this place as a great eatery to people. In fact, I booked my Christmas works doo there and once again the food was superb and was very reasonably priced. The portions of food are always generous and I cannot emphasise enough HOW GOOD THE FOOD IS!!

There is a great selection of drinks, including real ales and specialty ciders and the staff are always more than happy to help and the Landlord and Landlady always make you feel welcome. Fully deserving of 5* rating.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, United Kingdom
“A Family Feast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We visited the White Lion for the first time as an impromptu a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed the great service, warm atmosphere and food so much we looked forward to going back with the full family. And so on a bitterly cold Thursday evening I phoned ahead to book a tx5 ( 2 adults, 3 children ) and requested details on the "Family Dine Out" offer listed on the website.

I was politely informed that the offer was no longer available...in fact I was the first person to date to express an interest! I was genuinely disappointed....the prospect of a quality homemade shepherds pie or beef stew was just what the night called for. Sensing this, the waitress patched me through to the owner who very kindly offered to honour the promotion, which at £22.95 for four promised great value.

And so to the meal. I don't normally "do" beef stew.....in the past I have struggled to find the meat amongst the veg. This was the exact opposite, a mountain of beef chunks served in a huge bowl placed in the centre of the table for me to serve "family style". The beef was tasteful, lean and tender, sat in a rich and thick gravy topped with five large dumplings. Then came a deep bowl of chunky chips and a platter of bread ( ciabatta and wholemeal ). We did our damnedest, but could not quite finish it off. Of course, after a short while the kids found room for dessert..creme brûlée, baked cheesecake and a winter berry sponge. All huge, and all polished off!

When the bill came there was no additional charge for my third child..a really nice touch. At £52 for a family of five I could not hope for better value for money. I do hope I have tempted some of you to enquire after the "Family Dine Out" and give it a new lease of life. Either way, we will certainly be going back....soon!

Visited February 2013
Stratford upon Avon, uk
“Lovely Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very cosy atmosphere with a beautiful open fire. The place was full, on a Wednesday lunchtime, and the staff were obviously having to work hard. Despite this, they were friendly and efficient.
The best part of our visit was the Yorkshire deli platter, which offered up the best pork pie that I have ever tasted.
Well worth a visit!