“Lovely meal, friendly staff well worth a try” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 52 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Cuisines: English
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A REAL YORKSHIRE WELCOME AWAITS...The White Lion Hotel is a traditional coaching inn, with exposed timber and masonry, an abundance of comfortable corners to hide in, and always a warm and friendly atmosphere. Set on a riverside location in central Hebden Bridge, the inn has always been well known for fine, yet informal and relaxed country ‘pub’ dining, and its extensive choice of wines and real cask ales. All of which can be enjoyed throughout the year, whether that be in front of a roaring log fire, or in one of our scenic riverside cobbled courtyards. Surrounded by true Yorkshire history and the stunning countryside of the deep ravined valleys of Calderdale; the area is popular with walkers, cyclists, country lovers, and those just in search of a contrast to a hectic lifestyle. The countryside can be easily accessed by foot straight from the doorstep of the inn, and that same doorstep has frequently offered a place of respite to many attempting the Pennine Way. Also within easy access to the rail and motorway networks, and just far enough away from the vibrant cities of Leeds and Manchester; the inn is centrally based for business or leisure. And if you were to require an excuse to stay with us for longer, then there are 10 spacious en-suite rooms to choose from. The newly refurbished boutique bedrooms, with Victorian roll-top baths and deep luxurious colours, are complimented by family rooms and courtyard cottages - with the riverside literally at your front door. Dated 1657, the White Lion Hotel is reputed to be the oldest building in the beautiful town of Hebden Bridge, which is renown for its independent lifestyle, creativity, and philosophy - the Yorkshire way! Now under new ownership since September 2011 and with a full building refurbishment to be completed by December 2011; we look forward to welcoming you soon...
Accrington
“Lovely meal, friendly staff well worth a try”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Went for a meal Saturday afternoon, as soon as we opened the door a nice waiter asked if we were requiring food and found us a nice table for 2.
He took our drinks order and a nice young girl brought us 2 menus to look at. There was quite a choice, my husband went for the beef special and i went for the gourmet homemade burger.
We had quite a wait for the food even though the place was not full. We ended up ordering more drinks while we waited, but when the food arrived it was brilliant.
My burger was on a home made warm ciabatta which made a welcome change to sesamme topped rolls in other establishments, nice cheese topping and the burger itself sat on an onion/tomatoe herb sauce which i loved.
My husbands Beef special was a roast dinner, it came with plenty of meat and gravy which sat on top of the veg. He was a bit disappointed to have no mash but the sweet potatoe and roast potatoes were ok as an alternative.
We were both full when we finished so opted to not have a pudding but went with a coffee each along with a liquer.
The bill came to £45.00 for the two of us and having had 2 lots of drinks as well i thought wasn't bad. But i would have peferred a bottle of wine but thought £15.95 for a basic bottle was a bit excessive.
Overall loved it and would recommend to friends/tripadvisor readers.
will go again next time we are on a day out to Hebden Bridge.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
“valentines disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

booked our anniversary meal at the while lion it falls on valentines day and you were putting on a special menu great we thought my wife and I were looking forward to a lovely meal, well to say we were disappointed would be some what of an understatement.It began with our starter my wife ordered mussels cooked in white wine fresh herbs and cream ok the mussels were chewy as opposed to silky smooth melt in the mouth the sauce was great if you like cream no sign of herbs or white wine.we had to ask for a for a dish to put the shells in.Now to mine which was meant to be roasted tomato soup with basil and parmesan toast well it came minus the toast , instead there was a piece of ciabatta on the side, I called the waitress and asked where the parmesan toast was to which she replied oh is that what's on the menu firstly she should know what she is serving secondly she then asked me to sniff the bread to see if there was any sign of parmesan which i did and there wasn't she then said she would get me some well what she came back with was one 2inch disc of bread with melted cheddar on it. now to the soup itself the only good thing i can say about it was it was hot and it did have basil in it, it tasted like passata with a generous splash of vinegar in it, needles to say i could not eat it. We hoped that the mains would be an improvement we could not have been more wrong.my wife ordered lamb with bubble and squeak, buttered carrots and green beans, it arrived now my wife likes her vegetables aldente as opposed to warm and raw which is what she was served also the lamb was so tuff she could not chew it. i ordered munk fish with parma ham served on butternut mash with a shrimp sauce,I had never tasted monk fish before so i asked my wife to try it she said it was rubbery and over cooked to me it tasted like over cooked squid.I could not eat it.The waitress seeing our plates were pretty much untouched came over and asked if everything was ok to which my wife said, no its not she then asked if we would like to see the manager my wife said yes please.The manager came over and asked what was wrong my wife told him to which he replied, well no one else has complained, how helpful was that i ask you, he the said that he would take the meals away and given we had not eaten anything that we would not be charged, he left our table and we left his restaurant never to return.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Cosy, welcoming and HUGE meals!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I enjoyed a lovely meal here with a friend on a snowy Monday in February. The staff were welcoming and suggested that we sat at the table by the lovely open fire. I ordered the pie and peas and my friend had fish and chips - both meals were huge!

The pie was easily big enough for two, with lovely crisp pastry and tasty, porky filling; served with a generous dollop of mash, mushy peas and minty gravy. The menu said there should have been piccalilli, but it never appeared - and by the time I realised it was missing it was too late for it anyway.

My friend's fish & chips looked great - a whale of a fish, loads of chips and some of the same mushy peas as I had. She thoroughly enjoyed it.

Neither of us could finish our food, but we both enjoyed our meals and I'm sure we'll be visiting again soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Hot and Smoky”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is excellent, but alas I shall not return. It's simply too hot and smokey from the open fire. The staff seem to have instructions to keep it at FULL flame for most of the time. We have had many meals here but today 30th Jan 13 was the limit. Sweaty stinking of smoke and generally uncomfortable.
If your mission was to smoke /sweat us out .......you win. Goodbye, from a local regular!

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“A pleasant interlude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Having read previous reviews on Trip Advisor my husband and I decided to call in for an early dinner before a concert that evening in Hebden Bridge. The weather was windy and rainy so to walk into the main bar with the log fire blazing away and also to receive a friendly greeting from the staff was very welcoming.
We both had a very pleasant glass of wine, followed by fish and chips, which we both enjoyed. Unfortunately some of the items on the dessert menu were unavailable so we opted for a selection of ice creams which were excellent. It was quiet when we first arrived but quickly filled up which gave the whole place a warm, cosy and friendly atmosphere. The staff were friendly and efficient without being overbearing. Would definitely return and next time we might even opt for an overnight stay there.

• Visited January 2013