“Disapointing experience.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 52 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Cuisines: English
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A REAL YORKSHIRE WELCOME AWAITS...The White Lion Hotel is a traditional coaching inn, with exposed timber and masonry, an abundance of comfortable corners to hide in, and always a warm and friendly atmosphere. Set on a riverside location in central Hebden Bridge, the inn has always been well known for fine, yet informal and relaxed country ‘pub’ dining, and its extensive choice of wines and real cask ales. All of which can be enjoyed throughout the year, whether that be in front of a roaring log fire, or in one of our scenic riverside cobbled courtyards. Surrounded by true Yorkshire history and the stunning countryside of the deep ravined valleys of Calderdale; the area is popular with walkers, cyclists, country lovers, and those just in search of a contrast to a hectic lifestyle. The countryside can be easily accessed by foot straight from the doorstep of the inn, and that same doorstep has frequently offered a place of respite to many attempting the Pennine Way. Also within easy access to the rail and motorway networks, and just far enough away from the vibrant cities of Leeds and Manchester; the inn is centrally based for business or leisure. And if you were to require an excuse to stay with us for longer, then there are 10 spacious en-suite rooms to choose from. The newly refurbished boutique bedrooms, with Victorian roll-top baths and deep luxurious colours, are complimented by family rooms and courtyard cottages - with the riverside literally at your front door. Dated 1657, the White Lion Hotel is reputed to be the oldest building in the beautiful town of Hebden Bridge, which is renown for its independent lifestyle, creativity, and philosophy - the Yorkshire way! Now under new ownership since September 2011 and with a full building refurbishment to be completed by December 2011; we look forward to welcoming you soon...
Alhaurin de la Torre, Spain
“Disapointing experience.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Our problems were mainly with not being served what the menu said. Ordered a bottle of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, when they showed us the bottle, it was South African. We queried it and was told it was an error on the menu. I started with crispy duck pancakes served with cucumber and spring onion strips. The pancakes were dry and crumbled as I tried to fill them. The cucumber and spring onion came in a small dish, all the cucumber was piled on top of the spring onion rings, and I did not realise they were there until the cucumber was eaten. For main course I ordered spaghetti with rocket, parmesan, lemon and chilli oil. No mention of tomatoes, I am not a fan of pasta in tomato sauce, so I thought this would be ideal, but it was served in a tomato sauce, with halves of cherry tomatoes and big chunks of spicy green chilli. To be fair, when I mentioned this, we were not charged for the dish and were given a glass of wine each on the house.

They did seem to be having a few problems that night and a lot of dishes seemed to be going back uneaten.

We have eated there once before and had a lovely meal and had no complaints then.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Fantastic - Visit it as soon as you can”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I visit Hebden Bridge a lot it's a lovely quirky little village with lots of shops, cafes some pubs and a couple of wine bars. Its a small Market town but like I have said before I would call it more of a village. A few weeks ago a friend and I visiting were crossing the road near to the White Lion and as the menu was outside we stopped to look at it and noticed the pub had been refurbished. We had all ready eaten at one of our favourite places but went in for a drink. The staff were really nice and very efficient. It was a weekday but the place was very busy and no wonder ! We could see why when the food started coming out! It all looked very really good, sandwiches, homemade pies, a decent specials board. We decided to return and there. I could not wait for us to have a day off at the same time again so I returned the following week with one of my daughters and we decided to share a hot roast beef sandwich which is served with chips and onion gravy. It was excellent. I returned with my friend a few weeks later and I chose the same she had a sandwich, strips of fillet steak with carmelised onions served with chips and she was also very impressed. I returned again yesterday with my eldest daughter and grandson she was very impressed . Again the welcome and the food are excellent. The refurb is fantastic, the place is child friendly and dog friendly. It's very clean and everything is of the highest standard. It's also a hotel with fantastic rooms. The owners wife is just opening beauty treatment rooms and her prices are very competitive. Book a weekend away and stay or if you live near by just visit for food you wont regret it.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Busy but worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

Long wait for food but they told you how long it was when you sat down to eat. Nice food and great service

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere