“Could not have been more helpful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The White Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hebden Bridge
The White Lion Hotel
You added The White Lion Hotel to your Saves list
Bridge Gate, Hebden Bridge HX7 8EX, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hebden Bridge
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Could not have been more helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at the White Lion for one night and found it a great place to stay. The bar area was friendly and warm with log fire and a very comfortable atmosphere but with nothing either pretentious or overly quaint about it.

I stayed in one of the courtyard rooms, which was excellent. A very large double room which was well kept and spotlessly clean. I found the courtyard itself a really nice surprise. It's set back off the road and away from the hotel a little, which gives an extra sense of privacy and personal space but without making you feeling 'out of things'.

A special word must go to the helpfulness of the staff that I encountered during my visit. I returned home to find I had left my house keys in my room after checking out and, on calling the hotel to inform them of this, they quickly suggested that they would post them to me, free of charge. This was done the next day as promised and it saved me a lot of stress and worry, as well as saving me the expense of paying for postage.

All in all, thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms have a 'stand alone' quality that I really liked. A nice change from a stand...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

wont be going there again,our visit was after a funeral,they knew we were going,on arrival they showed us the room they had reserved for us,our first task was to arrange the tables to make it look like we was all together,then to the bar what service very slow they did not seem as they could cope with a queue,it was so slow the lady serving us looked too old to be behind a bar had not a clue took her ages to pull four drinks.
ordering food was a nightmare same women took that order,i asked for scampi,she replied we do not serve scampi here ? what pub does not have it on there menu.
the food arrived slowly,then she tells me she forgot to order mine,it did finally arrive,gammon well 2inch of fat surrounded it ,realy tough and fatty,my partner had the same the under side was black that too had more fat than gammon.
one ordered steak terrible, sausage and mash under cooked sausage looked horrid.
not many in the party was pleased with there meal,
then we saw the chef , his clothes were in the need of a wash ,whites? more like greys,
no one asked us if every thing was ok ,
the whole of your service was poor,we wont be calling again and wont recommend it to any one a shamble from start to finish, and we had to pay for it,and it was well over priced
disgusting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
grimesm, Owner at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Rose. I am very sorry that you thought our service was not up to standard with your after funeral visit, but I am a little confused. The majority of your party actually commented that they had had a very pleasant time, and actually mentioned to my staff to say a specific 'thank you' to Sandie and Anne who looked after you that day. In addition, a £20 tip was very generously left. Hence why I am a little confused for your poor review?

With regard to your visit. We allocated our entire dining room which can seat 30 persons to your party of 16. But you never confirmed numbers or table layout prior to the event. Hence why we had to move the tables ad-hoc. This in addition to several members of your party suggesting that they were not certain if any one else may turn up. This could be the reason why you thought the service was perhaps slow, as we had to wait before being able to take your food order. We did mistakenly omit a meal from your order, for which I can only apologise. But I am confused as to why the majority of your party stated that they had very much enjoyed their visit, enough to leave a generous tip, if the food was as bad as you claimed? To also comment, one of my chef's does own a very clean set of Chef Grey's, as a uniform.

As I say, I am sorry that you did not seem to enjoy your visit. But I believe the problems you encountered we're more a result of a lack of communication with regards to the organisation of your arrangements, rather than fault of our own.

And the lady you suggested was 'too old' to work behind the bar, is certainly not and is a superb member of staff, who tried her very best amidst the confusion generated by your party. Perhaps you may wish to re-consider this comment, as it was quite hurtful to that particular member of my team.

Kind regards

Michael
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here for two days for work Unfortunately, but would love to come back. delightful town, cafe bars restaurants, country walks, canals, mills and beautiful country side. Warm hospitable staff, roaring log fire and food in huge portions. The room had a huge roll top bath, waterfall shower and triple aspect window. Such a comfortable bed in a huge room.

Room Tip: Room number four
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
halsall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here on several occasions in the last six months. We have always found the staff most welcoming and pleasantly efficient. The food is excellent from a varied and extensive menu. We will return.

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were looking for somewhere to eat and walked out of 1 place because we didnt fancy anything on the menu and we are so glad we did! We then saw the characterful white lion and headed in. I started with the mussels and my partner had the prawn and crayfish cocktail. The mussels were melt in the mouth and the sauce was rich and creamy with a big chunk of warm crusty bread on the side, delicious! Now for the mains, me and my partner often ask each other to try foods we are having, if it worth sharing of course. I had the 8oz sirloin, ive eaten alot of steak in england and in america, im somewhat of a steak fiend, and the steak i had at white white lion is up there with the very, very best! My partner agreed (although i didnt share much, it was just too good.) She had the steak mince burger, which was definately homemade and was by far the nicest burger ive ever tasted!

Staff were helpful and friendly, always asked if everything was ok which of course it was!

We just wish we lived far enough away to try the rooms!

We will book again and bring friends and family, I am determined to try steak and lobster friday night!

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for a drink. The bar area has a warm and inviting feel to it, with an open fire. Very old building with a very good atmosphere. Extremely popular with lunchtime diners, offering a large selection of food. Somewhat pricey with drinks. Well worth a visit.

Stayed February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My partner and I went for our Christmas dinner here on Christmas Day. The atmosphere was fantastic the staff were very attentive and the food was delicious and we truly enjoyed the meal it was lovely to not have to cook. The staff were very friendly and thoughtful. Thank you for a lovely dining experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!