“Same quality as the Cedar Court Grand York..... 5*” 5 of 5 stars

Bridge Gate, Hebden Bridge HX7 8EX, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hebden Bridge
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Same quality as the Cedar Court Grand York..... 5*”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Hi,

My girlfriend and I spent last weekend at a wedding in York staying at the 5* Cedar Court Grand.

The stay was fantastic and the wedding wonderful. In the car returning home we were deciding which was the best, the big fancy hotel or our idilic country pub stay at the White Lion. Both had the quality that is expected of 5* and both left us feeling as though we had experienced something very special.....

The care and attention to detail of our room in the White Lion was amazing for a country pub. The roll top bath, huge bathroom and massive comfortable bed made our stay rush by faster than we wanted. The locally sourced food on the breakfast menu ensured we experienced the best of Yorkshire without having do any work ourselves. The staff were warm, attentive and made us feel very special throughout our stay.

The truth is I cannot separate the two, and in fact I would just insist you go to both to make your own mind up......

Wonderful pub and beautiful room..... A must do for a trip to Hebden Bridge.

PS. Make sure you go to the local nightclub / live music venue, a brilliantly unique Hebden Bridge experience!

Room Tip: Ask for the Master bedroom......
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Let me begin by making clear I don't normally find the time to write reviews on websites, however after a recent stay, I had to show my support.

Travelling from London, it felt a million miles away from home. And it was, literally.

I arrived with my wife, to spend a Saturday night in Hebden Bridge, and booked The White Lion three weeks before, after reading other reviews. We were meeting two groups of friends from the North, who were also spending the night there.

The moment we pulled up, the building looked charming. It was a cold day, so upon entering the bar area, immediately felt comforted by the huge open fire, burning away as a centre piece. It was lunchtime and the place was extremely busy, people sat around chatting.

We were greeted by the owners, who were very friendly and accomodating. They took our bags and us straight up stairs to our room, so we could freshen up. Wow, the room was amazing. We must of had the bridal suite or something similar. The bed was huge, the room large enough to play tennis in. It was much better than we ever could have been expected.

After freshening up in the big double shower, we returned down stairs to find a table waiting for us. The menu was a real teaser, too much to choose from and all reasonably priced. We tried the finger boards as we were eating properly there later in the evening.

I'm not going to bore you with what happened in the afternoon, but back in the bar area later in the evening, to dine, we were treated with very friendly service from the waiting staff. We were presented with a great choice of food on the menu. We had lamb, with dumplings. It was very tasty and a sizeable portion. Pudding finished us off while we sat the rest of the evening out with some great real ale and a few bottles of fine wine.

The room was more than comfortable that evening, and very quite. In the morning again we had a full English before heading back South. Again, quality over quantity.

It made for a great weekend with friends and would recommend to people of all ages.

I wish the owners well, particularly as I found they were new tennants.

To some up, a very welcomed suprise. Great rooms, great food, great atmosphere. Would certainly consider again if ever that far away from home.

Room Tip: Pick the bridal suite, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is our second stay at the White Lion, the first being between Christmas and New Year 2011. As we travel from the South to Scotland the journey can take quite some time and last year decided it would be nice to start to break the journey up. We discovered the White Lion via the web and decided that we would give this a try. We booked a room for ourselves along with a separate room for my daughter. I have to say the rooms are huge and luxurious, with comfy beds and bathrooms with roll top bath and huge walk-in shower enclosures and also spotlessly clean.
Lovely bar area serving a good range of hand pulled beers along with a decent wine list. We have eaten both at lunch times and in the evenings, the food is of a high standard with staff to match (the English breakfast is amazing)
The White Lion is also excellently positioned within Hebden Bridge to get out and explore the lovely town, we have had nice walks along the canal with plenty of browsing in the shops along the way. We are always made to feel very welcome and send our thanks to Michael and his staff for looking after us on both occasions. Now looking forward to booking again in the very near future once our next journey to Scotland is confirmed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I don’t normally write these kinds of things but after last Sunday’s visit to the White Lion I felt I had to. The agenda was to visit Hebden Bridge after hearing friends rave about it so got a train from Leeds. We decided to start with some Lunch and discovered the White Lion. Forget walking around the town we ended up having 3 joyous hours of amazing food, great wine and warm hospitality. The Sunday Dinner was well worth the wait in this busy historic public house. The décor and roaring open fires take you back to the days when this was a coaching inn. Anybody going to Hebden Bridge make sure you visit this fantastic pub I will definitely be making a return visit!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We recently booked a table for 12 of us, for a 50Th birthday celebration. When we arrived the staff greeted us brilliantly and we all straight away felt comfortable. What yet was to come was even better. 5 of the ladies at the table had a glass of their house wine (Merlot) one of which is a wine connoisseur, she thought it was fantastic. You can say the same for the ales, throughout our time there we tried each one, each one - kept perfectly and tasted fantastic. A big well done to whoever looks after them so well! Each individual waited for about half an hour for their food, this was perfect timing as it let us settle down and enjoy the environment. When the food came (great customer service, again, from the waiter at the time) each plates presentation was great, it was a great starting point to the food. What was to come exceeded my expectations from any normal pub food. Many of us had the Sunday dinner, each person loved it. I personally had the steak with the blue the cheese and dauphinoise potatoes, I can't say it was far off one of the nicest meals I've had in a long time, the steak was cooked to perfection, definitely a recommendation! Each person was delighted with their food and there was no complaints, a big well done to all the staff at the White Lion Hotel. A great Saturday afternoon meal. Throughout there was a friendly atmosphere around the place and the work done inside looked marvellous, the person who has designed the interior to this place should be proud of his establishment and I will be quick to recommend to anyone thats looking for a meal out in these parts!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I booked a room for my partner and I to stay the weekend of 24th of March and was very much looking forward to our stay based on how good the website looked. We arrived and were not disappointed. We were shown to our room, which was simply amazing. The bedding was crisp and fresh and the room was huge. Our bathroom had a beautiful roll top bath in it and a wonderful shower - both of which were beautifully hot (I really hate cold showers!!)
We were greeted warmly and couldn't have had a friendlier service.
After a few drinks we retired to our room and were greeted with a very comfy bed indeed! The room was very peaceful and we weren't disturbed at all.
In the morning we enjoyed a huge breakfast and everything was fresh and plentiful. I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable stay. The pub is homely and welcoming and the rooms are excellent - we even had a cafeteria in the room. I couldn't be happier with the staff who were all very friendly and keen to help.
Thanks White Lion for a wonderful mini break - I can't wait to come back!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had read much about the White Lion before I visited, so my standards were set very high and I have to say the White Lion very much impressed me. On our arrival I was warmly greeted by the waitering staff and also the manager. For 'Pub grub' the menu far exceeded my expectations with a large choice to choose from. We often like to eat out for Sunday dinner and I must say their roast dinner was fantastic! The pork was cooked to perfection and accompanied by a more than wealthy size Yorkshire pudding and veg. All our requirements and demands were met to perfection so we thank the waitering staff for that. There was a friendly atmosphere around the place and the place looked marvellous, the manager should be proud of his establishment and I am quick to recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!