“A gem of a place” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“A gem of a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This restaurant ticks all the boxes .The food is imaginative, and extremely well prepared and presented. The staff are all really polite and helpful. There is a daily specials menu and also an extensive A la Carte menu.
Probably our favourite diner in town.

Visited February 2014

“Superb dining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My favourite restaurant with wonderful welcoming care from Darrell Brook, who remembers every one of his clients and makes you feel that you are a valued guest, which is great. Excellent service, really polite and friendly staff, and the food is very special. The themed weeks are great fun, as are the jazz evenings.

• Visited November 2013
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Valentines”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I booked a Valentines meal months ago, after reading the excellent reviews. It was a 45 mile trip but felt it would be worth the journey.

Overall we found the service disappointing. We seemed to be waiting a long time in the bar, as only diners entering after us were taken to their table. Service between courses was very slow. We appreciate it's nice to have a gap between courses but in the end we had to ask the waitress for the sweet menu and wait around 20 to 30 minutes for it to be served. We sat there as other diners were finishing and leaving. I know we were there to savour and enjoy but it was getting uncomfortable

The food was ok, although I have to say my prawn dish was tasteless.

I wasn't driving but my partner was. He was going to order a glass of wine, but he was pushed into ordering a half bottle of red. We didn't realise but this cost £13!!!

We found the ambiance rather stilted, the 40's music was so dreary and depressing.

We were startled at the £96 bill and really can't say we enjoyed the experience.

When we paid the bill, the waitress asked us if we had enjoyed it. We told her we weren't happy with the service. As we were walking out of the door, the maître d' asked us what was matter and her response was a rude "well no one else has complained", which made us feel uneasy and in the wrong

I'm afraid we wont be returning

Visited February 2014
Darrell B, Owner at Brook's, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your evening, it isn’t good to have a dissatisfied customer.
I have telephoned you since your review and we spoke about your visit. I did say that I felt some of your comments unfair and inaccurate and I would be posting a response about that.
I did explain that on busy nights like Valentines we all get hyped up. In the past we have been criticised that service has progressed too quick. To prevent this we time log everything to ensure minimum intervals between courses so that we don’t proceed too fast. I’m sorry this didn’t meet your expectations.
You had drinks in the bar in advance of your table reservation at 7.30. I actually took your order at 7.35. Others going ahead of you had booked tables earlier than yours. When we spoke you in fact told me you didn’t know what time your reservation had been for.
You paid your bill by credit card transaction at 21.32.
That makes it about two hours to take pre dinner drinks, canapés, starters, mains, puddings, receive, check and settle the bill.
I utterly disagree you were “pushed” into ordering half a bottle of wine. You had two glasses of wine in the bar whilst looking at the menu and the wine list. You chose another glass and the half bottle of 2010 Crozes Hermitage. You told me you hadn’t realised the price because you had “put the list down.”
I would never dream of embarrassing a customer by asking if he or she was aware and comfortable with the price.
Incidentally, that wine and vintage at £13 is great value.
Our music is old. We play the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, The Ink Spots, Al Bowly, Sarah Vaughan, Charlie Parker and many, many other greats. I accept it may not be your taste but it has successfully set the mood here for the past 25 years.
Darrell Brook
“Thank you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had a function last night at Brooks to rise money for the forget-me-not -trust and everything from start to finish ran smoothly. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. We had a party of 20 - three of whom had some sort of special dietary requirement and they were catered for with no fuss whatsoever. As the vegetarian of the group, I appreciated that very much! The place itself is beautifully decorated inside- we loved the chance to retire to the 'living room' upstairs! I'll definitely be returning and I'm pretty sure quite a few of the others will be too! Thank you very much for a lovely evening.

• Visited February 2014
huddersfield
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Well what else can I add to perfection. From the booking to leaving we were treated with kindness and respect. The food was amazing. We were entertaining our future daughter in law and her parents from Germany. We booked late due to hectic itinerary wedding planning. So the restaurant was very busy but they did their best to accommodate our needs. When we were given the menus I asked if they had them in German as our guests spoke very little English and did not understand the food terms. I was shocked when the owner came over and despite being busy spent a lot of time interpreting the menu. She then came over and chatted a few times to our German guests making them feel so welcome. The food was excellent beautifully presented and delicious. Thank you for a wonderful evening.

• Visited February 2014