“A comfortable home from home” 4 of 5 stars

Waterfront Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huddersfield Road, Brighouse HD6 1JZ, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Brighouse
Avallon, France
“A comfortable home from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I've stayed at the Waterfront Lodge a few times and it's an appealing and comfortable place to be. It's been developed from an old Yorkshire mill so is something of a maze in terms of getting to rooms, but the signage is good and, to be fair, I've walked a lot further in major chain hotels. Having stayed in executive and deluxe rooms I can't comment on other options, but these rooms are spacious, have great beds and the complimentary shampoos etc that define a quality operation. That said, some of the rooms need some sprucing up, especially bathrooms. Nothing really bad, just some tired grouting that could easily be sorted. I understand there is some work scheduled this year to sort this so that's a positive sign.

A major plus for the hotel is its restaurant, Pregos. It's a slice of Italy with very good food. The other plus is that breakfast is included in the room price. Having been charged ludicrous amounts of money in other establishments for food that appears to have emerged from a Soylent Green conveyor belt, the breakfast here is well worth taking. Yes, there are the usual containers with beans, bacon etc, but you can ask for your eggs to be prepared as you want, get black pudding and rostis. Lots of cereal juice etc choice. Can't fault it.

Staff are unfailingly helpful and though Brighouse may not be on a major destination map it should be with lots of great little shops including a sweet shop that sells Pontefract Cakes and brilliant cheese and wine shop.

And no, I don't live in Brighouse or in the UK!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

As with other reviewers at £40 a night for a single, didn't expect the Ritz, but it was clean, warm and quite well equipped although very small and the traffic noise can be a little bit of a problem, but it is convenient for the town centre and Halifax. Breakfast ok not mind blowing, all in all worth the £40.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Room we have had at the Waterfront, but booked with late rooms in the morning for a one night stay the same night, so hardly expected anything else! £50 for a Saturday night B&B in a double room, good sized really comfy bed, excellent shower, room temperature - you decide ! Proper big mugs for an early morning brew.
Booked Pregos restaurant for 7pm, got a good table on a very busy party evening, the food and wine were good value for money, as were the the post drinks at the bar. My wife wanted a brandy cocktail but didn't fancy anything off the drinks menu, a conversation with one of the bar staff resulted in a cocktail list printed off the internet, still couldn't find one to suit, good customer service that needs to be recognised.
The breakfast as always was very good on choice and the extra touch of how do you want your, and how many eggs would you like is a good touch. The breakfast room with the sun shining through, newspapers available, a delight - A £50 bargain!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Katrineholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights, the price was reasonable. But the overall feel of the carpets and decor was slightly old. The building is a converted old mill located on a canal in the centre of Brighouse. The carpark outside isn't owned by the hotel but the local council so is payable Mon-Sat 8am-6pm. Its 60p per hour. Many guests were rushing out (including myself) sleepily half dressed at 7.55am in a race to beat the over zealous Parking Attendant hovering round the corner . Make sure you have plenty of spare change for the no change giving pay and display machine . There is a very pleasant and beautiful walk along the canal which stretches all the way to Todmorden. There are plenty of nice shops in the small town of Brighouse including a large Tesco and Sainsburys alongside many more traditional shops and small pubs. The traffic in Brighouse is quite heavy though. There is quite a busy bar open to the public at night in the hotel and most of them seemed respectable and non rowdy . The reception staff and breakfast waitresses were on the whole very pleasant and helpful. Except one young thin boy who worked as a bar attendant I encountered twice let the place down by being rude , untrained and speaking disrespectfully to me with an abrupt upperty manner ( There always one!). The Breakfast however was a delight with lots of choice and pleasantly served by the young waitresses.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
WaterfrontLodgeHotel, Manager at Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

You are right that some aspects of the hotel do need upgrading, as in any established hotel. This is why we are refurbishing our standard bedrooms from January 2014. This will be completed with no disruption to our guests or services.

The car park is Council owned and it is pay & display at 60p per hour. It is free overnight, from 6pm, and free on Sundays. The machines do accept payments for the following day; so there is no need to go outside at 7.55am to put a ticket on your car; simply pay from the day before until the time you are planning to leave. We are more than happy to change notes to coins for parking.

I am very pleased you enjoyed breakfast and found our staff to be pleasant and helpful. I will be speaking to the bar staff, as we expect all our team to be friendly and professional at all times. I would like to apologise if you found anyone to be anything else.

We hope to see you again when you are next in the UK.

Kind Regards

Fiona Walker
Hotel Manager
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel. Comfortable bed. Free and reasonably fast wifi internet in room. As the free wifi is everywhere in Estonian public premises it irritates me if traveling and there is lack of internet access. It is like a human right for Estonian as me. Bathroom was a bit cold. Good breakfast with many options.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Although good value, standard rooms very small, bathrooms very tight. On the plus side service and food good. Reception staff very helpful and friendly. Was informed in house restaurant was excellent. Hotel is on a subsiduary of the river

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Uckfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the 5/11/13. I had booked it through Laterooms and with a £10 discount on the room it meant is was a better option than a Premier Inn....I was wrong. I was swung to choose this hotel due to the Jacuzzi Bath in the Luxury Room and frankly I was beyond disappointed. The instructions where above the bath and I followed them to the letter and couldn't get it to work. Only when I got out did I find another sign on the opposite wall above the towel rail informing me that the power switch was outside the room for the bath and towel rail. I then had to hunt for said switch as they didn't tell you were it was. The Room was very cold and I had the only Key in the whole hotel. Their doors work on a key fob system but at my door handle was smashed to pieces they had had to revert to a proper Key. I took me several minute to even get out of my room in the morning. The Sheets and bed looked dirty and the overall quality of the room was not even close to what I would call Luxury. When I mentioned the above issues on checkout I was told the room was already discounted and there was nothing that could be done about it. The only good thing about the place was the restaurant, the food was excellent, the service was a bit lacking though but I have had much worse.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal or car park are quieter as the rest of them overlook a main room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
WaterfrontLodgeHotel, Manager at Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I was sorry to read that you found your room disappointing.

The Jacuzzi bath does require the power switch to be turned on. It is normally switched on by housekeeping. However on the chance that it is turned off, the power switches are labelled and located just outside the bathroom and, you are correct that there is a notice in the bathroom, next to the sink, which informs you where the switches are located.

All our executive rooms have their own heating; which can be controlled by our guests, allowing you to set your preferred room temperature. The heaters are left on a timer but with a flick of a switch can be changed to manual. Instructions for use are also provided within the Guest Information folder.

You are correct that the door system works with key fobs. The fob-style door lock on this particular bedroom was faulty and therefore has been converted to an ‘ordinary’ key while the lock is repaired. The door is still in full working order and I can assure you that it is just as secure as the fob system. As with all our rooms, there is a guest key, master key and housekeeping key.

We urge any guest who finds something they are not completely satisfied with to report it to reception immediately. All our team are happy to help and would try resolve any issue quickly.

It does not matter what rate any guests pay for a room; the room should be ready for our guests and you should be completely satisfied with your room. As mentioned, if reported straight away, most issues can be resolved immediately, ensuring you have an enjoyable stay. Any maintenance issues reported on check-out are logged and dealt with accordingly.

I do hope that you would choose to stay with us again, as you can see from our other reviews, the hotel and our team normally receive very positive feedback. We have a range of rooms and we would be happy for you to view a selection when you are next in the area.

Kind Regards

Fiona Walker
Hotel Manager

Been to Waterfront Lodge? Share your experiences!