“Poor food” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brighouse
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Poor food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night and found the room (gf) very good and quiet. However, the food was poor and the cooked breakfast (taken at the start of breakfast time) was tough as though the chef had cooked it hours earlier and kept it warm. Not what we expect from Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HI-LeedsBrighouse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear meltonpieman,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following staying with us here at the Hotel.

I am delighted that you were happy with the room that you received for your stay but am disappointed that you did not enjoy the full 'Holiday Inn' Experience.

I am very grateful for your constructive feedback with regards to the quality of breakfast that you received. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Head Chef, who will be addressing the issues with the team members responsible. I do apologise that on this occasion you did not experience our usual levels of high service and standards and hope that you will visit us again in the future to see the improvements that our guest's constructive feedback enables us to make.

Yours Sincerely

Louise Dodd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Staying for one night to catch up with family in the area it was ideally located - close to the M62 and near enough for our family to come visit us at the hotel for a few drinks in the evening. It was nice to find that most of the staff appeared to be from the local area - and in deed they were all as friendly and helpful as they could be. Our room - an executive double on the ground floor was all that you would expect of what is essentially a hotel for travelling business people and conference/training venue. Room was clean as was the bathroom (heated towel rail didn't heat), bed was comfy and the "complimentary" stuff was all fine. Where it fell down for us was some of the service in the bar and the quality of the food on that weekend. I don't blame the young people serving at the bar - I blame their inadequate training. I'll start with the bar. Drinks I think were very expensive. Despite the bar menu advertising Smirnoff vodka there was none and they apologised that they had run out of Smirnoff - the substitute cheaper vodka tasted - cheap. My tipple of choice is champagne so we ordered a bottle of Piper at £38 which turned out to be good value as, glass for glass it worked out cheaper compared to other drinks and lasted me the whole evening. However when we ordered it the new barman didn't know what it was. His colleague of more experience went off to find it and said he would bring it to our table. He did - but it was warm and placed on our table with the glass as if it was a bottle of red. We had to ask for an ice bucket. The young man willingly obliged. After our mediocre meal we asked for French Coffee. Here follows a conversation that had me giggling all evening: "Can we have a French Coffee please?" "We don't do that - what is it?" "Ok put a measure of brandy, a little sugar and coffee in the cup and then top it off with the cream" "Oh right I think we can do that". The restaurant has the appearance of a canteen - obviously geared to meet the needs of coach tours, conference/training clientele. The menu looked varied and interesting, but because we had had a large lunch we opted for the carvery and that was a mistake. The meat was tough, the veg cold and it all looked a bit lacklustre. The homemade stuffing was the highlight of the meal. The cold starter buffet also lacked a decent choice and looked tired. Breakfast the following morning was the same. We gave up on the fried eggs as the chef seemed to have some trouble getting the fryer hot enough. It was all a bit mediocre. However we did have a lovely evening with our family and the bar lounge was ideal for a large group getting together for a few drinks and a catch up and the staff were warm and friendly - so on balance we would stay there again because overall it was comfortable and as accommodating as it could be. Maybe we just chose an off weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HI-LeedsBrighouse, PA to General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear reddragonlady,

Thank you for the review of your Hotel following your stay.

I greatly appreciate the constructive feedback that you have provided. The feedback for our staff friendliness and guest room cleanliness is always lovely to receive.

I do apologise for the quality of the food on the carvery. Your review has been shared with our Executive Head chef who will be putting actions into place to ensure the food is cooked properly and served to our usual high standard in the future.

Thank you for your comment regarding the fried eggs at breakfast, unfortunately we did have the Hot plate break on this morning which I understand caused a delay as the eggs had to be cooked from the kitchen and transported through to the restaurant. This issue was reported to our Maintenance Manager and the equipment is back in full working order.

I have also shared your review with our Food and Beverage Manager who has identified the Bar member in question and have put together a training plan to ensure that we is aware of our products and how to serve them. While there may be on occasion drinks that they have not heard of before, we would always be happy to find out the ingredients and methods for making them and provide these beverages where possible.

I am disappointed that you did not receive a consistent high level of service and standards on this occasion and hope that you may chose to stay with us again when you are next visiting your family in this area.

Yours Sincerely

Bray on Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel. The staff are really friendly and welcoming. The rooms are spacious and always very clean. Food wise they do a meal deal, two courses and two drinks for £20....value indeed as the food is good, I particularly recommend the steak and kidney pie. The hotel has a great gym and swimming pool. Tend to stay here whenever in the area....it is consistently a pleasure to stay here.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear JonnersB,

Thank you for the great review of Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse. Looking forward to welcoming you again in the future, especially as we have a new menu with lots more tasty dishes for you to try.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great hotel. The location near the motorway network is great for travellers visiting West Yorkshire. The food is good and the staff are friendly. Can't ask for more and couldn't fault the place, 5 stars and worthy of it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HI-LeedsBrighouse, PA to General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Martin C,

Thank you for the 5 star Review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back when you next have business within the area.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Opted for this hotel due to location, just off M62 and ideal for next mornings meeting close by in Huddersfield.

Reception cheery and chirpy, but felt after I checked in and got my key that was it, no dinner times, or breakfast times, no directions to room, nothing about health suite.

Room was on 1st floor, clean and well appointed, good facilities, everything in room worked, no dead power sockets and the normal complicated hotel TV. However as it appears rooms had been modernied the bathroom had a singing shower and was rather shabby in parts. On way to bedroom a function hadn't been tidied away, this was at 7pm, it still hadn't been tidied away at 11pm.

I opted for DBB package and at £97.50 was the best business options, as with check in, once your bum hit seat there was no menu explanation of what was and what wasn't included in the DBB package, maybe better if the hotel has a table d'hote menu for DBB package guests. I had tomato soup and it was not out a tin - tasty and lots of it, however the fish and chips (Sustainably sourced hake fillet in crispy golden batter with chunky chips) left a lot to be desired - clearly not freshly caught, batter soggy and fell off fillet and when it did exposed a grey pre formed fish fillet. You guys can do better than this.

Breakfast was like in a different restaurant, congratulations for a delicious breakfast, wow crispy bacon - too many places serve scraggy end fatty bacon, 10/10 here and if you could replicate this to dinner you would have a fab restaurant.

Whether or not it is new IHG program, I find it disappointing that a hotel doesn't furnish its rooms with a bottle of water or a biscuit, you are kind enough to leave a hospitality tray, this would be the difference between being remembered or not.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Scottex,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay here at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay, but am disappointed that there were issues which resulted in it not being the perfect 'Holiday Inn Experience'.

I have communicated the details of your Check In Experience to our Reception Supervisor, while I am happy that you were welcomed into the Hotel in a friendly personable manner, I do apologise that you were not given details of the facilities we offer and their locations or opening times which are a vital part of orientating yourself through your stay.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your Fish and Chips, I have passed your comments to our Executive Head Chef, who will be investigating where improvements can be made to make this a better quality dining option. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast, setting you up ready for your business day ahead.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel to show you that on this occasion you didn't experience our usual high standards in all areas.

Yours Sincerely,

Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I came here a few weeks ago and loved it BUT this time it was disappointing.
The room had a balcony which was nice and I sat reading a book in the evening sun, this was the only highlight.
The pillows were uncomfortable, shower a mere trickle and they decided to change the air con to winter mode without telling us! I asked for a fan to be told there weren't any but if you open the window you will cool down??? I ended up sleeping with the balcony doors open but seeing as the person next door obviously had a bad nicotine addiction my room filled with cigarette smoke at four in the morning!
Guests being loud very early in the morning was also another bad point but that's not the inns fault, that's just inconsiderate guests.
I wasn't impressed with the prawn Madras, very salty. The veg chilli was tasty and i don't know where the tortilla was being stored but they were chewy :/
The main reason for me staying at holiday inns is the air con but now they are switching to winter mode I will be going back to premier inns.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kernowhuskies,

Thank you for writing a review following your most recent stay with us, I am also very disappointed that the stay your experienced on this occasion was below your expectations, as kindly commented on in your last review of the Hotel .

Our System of Heating and Cooling within the rooms is a thermostatically controlled unit which has both a Summer and Winter Setting. We have a had the pleasure of enjoying a warmer temperature during the beginning of October than we are used to and resulting in the winter setting not being required on some evenings. I do apologise that a fan was not available during your stay and following your feedback we now have a stock of fans in the hotel so that other guests do not experience this same problem.

Your feedback enables us to maintain and improve our levels of service, facilities and standards.

Yours Sincerely,

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here for a relaxing weekend, mid September, whilst major work was being done to our house a few miles away, and just to get away from things for a while. No complaints at all - friendly and extremely helpful reception staff made the visit a pleasure right from the word go. (Why do so many establishments fail, on this most important point ?) The room was well sized, and immaculately cleaned. We had the brunch in the following morning and I must say I was more than enough to keep us full all day - didn't feel hungry at all until dinner at 7.00

All in all, a lovely stay, and can't fault the place at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor.

It is fantastic to received should high praise for our staff and I have shared your Review with them.

As a local, we do understand that you will not always have the requirement to stay at a Hotel so near to home but hope that we may welcome you for Sunday lunch, Dinner or to the Spirit Health Club if not for a Stay again in the future.

PA to General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse? Share your experiences!