“Fun and full of information” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 15 Attractions in Certaldo
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Giuseppina and her sons, run with passion a cooking school in Certaldo, between Florence and Siena, A beautiful medieval village. With more than ten years of experience in teaching, Giuseppina loves to lead students in the secrets of traditional Tuscan cuisine. And her family, which shares the same passion for the joys of life and food, offers to participate in activities such as truffle hunting and wine tasting.
3 attraction reviews
“Fun and full of information”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Not sure what is better, the cooking school, Giuseppina herself or the location. After a ride up the funicular, and wandering around the charming, medieval town, we located the cooking school. Guiseppina was waiting for us and we were welcomed with tasty cheese and salami (and of course wine) while we got ready for the "lesson". It was very hands on and truly enjoyable. Her preparation for us was impressive and the four hours disappeared. Everything was wonderful! None of us had ever worked with vanilla beans or made pasta by hand before. We came home with our red aprons and inspiration for cooking Italian.

“Highlight of trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We enrolled our 3 daughters in the 4 hour cooking class with Guiseppina. They absolutely loved it. It was one of the trip highlights for them. They bought the recipe book and the pasta maker and on the day we got off the plane home in NZ they made fettucine for dinner! It was the best I've ever had.

Dusseldorf, Germany
10 attraction reviews
“A very fun lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

When I stumbled on this cooking school I was thrilled that they allowed children to attend. However, be warned that the website isn't correct - only babies are free, not children under 7 as is indicated. The setting is idyllic & very casual. Giuseppina & Simone are not only full of great information but they also have that patience of a saint. My son is 6 & wasn't the least bit interested in attending this class. Neither of them gave up on him & by the end my son thought they were all best friends. The cooking is just enough - not too labor intensive but you are doing something most of the time. The wine & water flowed endlessly & the food was delicious! This is a delightful way to spend 3 hours! My complaint is we didn't get copies of the recipes we made. But I understand Giuseppina is trying to sell her cookbooks too. I also felt it was slightly overpriced.

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Can't say enough good things about Giuseppina and her school”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Firstly, the location is spectacular - high up in the mountains, cut into the ancient wall surrounding Certaldo, Italy. The approach and kitchen seem to have fallen off of a postcard. So beautiful and so quaint. There was even a Vespa parked outside the archway.

Our hosts, Guiseppina and her son Simone were welcoming, gracious and generous. We enjoyed vine and hors d'oeuvres fresh from the family farm followed by a quick tutorial on Tuscan cooking. I learned a lot - not all Italian food is created equal.

We switched off participating at the prep table, which was fine as it gave us all an opportunity to slip outside and sip Chianti while basking in the sun and the glory of scenery below. It was the first real spring-like day after a very long Ontario winter.

The pasta making was really fun. Pasta, it turns out, isn't that hard to make. (Who knew?) It does take a while though, but I think working with friends makes it an enjoyable past time rather than a chore. This was absolutely the best time I've ever had in a kitchen.

We eventually got to eat the meal we prepared and it was excellent...even if the some of the ravioli shapes were "unique". All the ingredients were organic and most were from the family farm.

I loved this experience and will treasure the memories forever. Bring a camera - there's a medieval castle right above and Tuscany spread out below. There is a little souvenir shop attached with reasonably priced equipment, ingredients and a great cookbook.

Molti grazie a Guiseppina, Simone and Luca (2nd son and owner of the Vespa).

Visited March 2014
Ontario, Canada
“couldn't stop smiling:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is one of those experiences you almost don't want to share because it was sooo great; you want to hug it to yourself.
Giuseppina and her son greeted us at the "kitchen door" - a portico in the walls of the original wall of the town. She had agreed to accommodate my group of 12 - normally, she allows only 10 at this venue. We entered into a deep, well-equipped kitchen with the most stunning views of the Chianti valleys below.
I'm sure patience is Giuseppina's middle name - we were a group of 38- to 80-year olds; a challenge for sure as some of us had lots of kitchen experience and some had none! What fun we had. Great food, lovely wine, so many of Giuseppina's home-made products.
As a food tour specialist, I have to say this is one of the best experiences I have ever offered my clients. I hate to give away my new secret- if she gets too busy, there might not be room for my group next time!
BTW, her son, Simone, who was her charming assistant for our experience, is hoping to start an Italian language course in the near future. Imagine learning to speak Italian in a medieval hilltop village embraced by the warmth of this family. I'm in! Keep your eye on the web-site for more info.
Food experiences are becoming more and more expensive. This is great value for the money. Seriously, I'm still smiling:)

Visited March 2014