The signs leading to this location tout views of paradise from paradise. The rooms and villas nestled on the hills of San Juan del Sur give sweeping views of the beach, the town and some spectacular sunsets. The hotel has an inviting registration area an main dining room. It has a solid bar, a separate “family” pool, ad a spa. There are all the elements of a world class resort, but the execution is where all things fell apart.
In spite of having reservations, on arrival I was informed the hotel was oversold. I received an upgrade for 2 of the 3 nights of my stay and told I would move rooms for the final night of my stay. This was not ideal, but the inconvenience initially seemed addressed by the room upgrade and a complimentary dinner or massage. However, once I packed to move to my new room, I was informed they planned to move me off property. There are not very many developed options for lodging in that town, and one of my traveling companions had been mugged the evening prior off properly, so this was and unacceptable surprise. I was pressured to accept this arrangement as I sat at the pool hot, tired, sweaty and dirty from a recant excursion by a parade of managers. When I held firm, I was given lodging for the evening in the spa which they converted to a room. The spa was not properly cleaned, had no access to a safe, and did not have a television, thus it was a very marginal substitute for the standard of living the hotel pricing requires.
Aside from the major reservations snag, there are some safety issues. First, the property is full of beautiful scenic stairs going between rooms and property attractions. The lighting on these stairs is turned off in the night and is not properly maintained in the day. Thus, I had a nasty fall and bruised my left knee. Second, the cleaning team was slow, incomplete and at times absent such that room maintenance was not satisfactory. Finally, I had a 3:30 am departure on my final morning on property to get to the airport in Managua. I called the front desk, as instructed to get assistance moving my luggage from my room (down all those steep, unlit steps) to the front desk area. There was no answer as the night staffer was asleep on the floor behind the desk. June 1, 2014, I had to walk down to the front desk in the dark and awaken the sleeping staff to meet my departure ride.
The suites are truly beautiful with lovely amenities and great potential. It is a tropical area so it is wise to check shoes and beds for insects before getting into them. But, as much as I wanted to like the solid food at the restaurant, the cheery waiters at the pool/bar, and the beautiful views, it was a poor experience and I cannot say enough to make sure all are aware that this gem can become a germ in the blink of an eye.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort And Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur