“Loved It!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   De la Parroquia 1 1/2 cuadras al este, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 hotels in San Juan del Sur
Key West, Florida
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I really don't think you can go wrong with this property. This was my first trip to
San Juan del Sur, and I wanted something with a projected higher level of
service while I figured out the town. I believe I got it.
I tend to be a sucker for the "welcome" services like the cool towel and the juice
and they were, well, welcome. The room is a ways from either parking area (up
or down), and there are lots of steps--although the resort will drive you close to
the room upon request. The climbing is something to consider but didn't really
bother me, and I was rewarded with a great view.
I was in "Brazil". Room was medium-large. I couldn't decide if I cared for the
decor--something about it reminded me of the Playboy Grotto--but decide for
yourself. The star was the huge balcony with the killer view. There is a private
walkway to the room and I found myself pining for my Signifcant Other (whom
I met after deciding on this trip) as the place was incredibly romantic and
private. It was missing some amenities such as robes and an iron, something
I wouldn't even mention in a mid-priced place, but I have a little higher
expectation in a luxury resort. It did have a get-your-own fridge and a
microwave.
I was exploring the area and didn't use the pools, but numbering 3, I think
they should make everyone happy. They probably could use a fitness
center--they do have a spa--but perhaps those stairs are all one needs!
There is a well-rated/"come as you are" restaurant where I had breakfast--
I liked Day 1's better than Day 2's, but I did find the prices very reasonable
for a resort dining area. Staff all around was great and they seem very
devoted to everyone's happiness.
Everything's fairly close together in San Juan del Sur--it will take about
10 minutes to walk to town, depending where on the property you are
(or they'll take you for 5 dollars). As I solo traveler, for my purposes,
I might take something a little more basic and closer to town next time--
but if I do bring someone special, Pelican eyes will be my first choice.

Room Tip: Consider your stair-climbing/van-waiting proclivities--I'd imagine the more the stairs, the mor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear,

First of all thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am pleased to hear that you had such a pleasant stay at our resort. Thank you for this helpful feedback, we will look into the possibility of including those for the by you then missing amenities. We look forward being you (and your significant other).

442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We did not stay at Pelican Eyes, but walked up there from our hotel in town and paid $5 each to be able to spend the day at the pool. The infinity pool over looking the ocean was pretty amazing and I'd highly recommend a visit to this place. When you get there, just keep walking up the stairs, you will pass a lower pool, but just keep going up up up, you will get to the infinity pools up top with amazing views. The food is typically overpriced for an expensive hotel, but luckily the Toñas were just $2 each. It was a nice break from salt and sand.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear,

First of all thank you for having visited Pelican Eyes. We appreciate you having taken the time to write this review. I am glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time at our pool. We look forward to seeing you again and being you of service in one of our accommodations.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Pelican Eyes for three nights in April and we absolutely loved it. If you want to stay in the actual town of San Juan Del Sur, you will not find a better hotel than Pelican Eyes. The views are breathtaking, the pools are gorgeous and the casitas are fantastic.

After extensive research on every hotel in the area, we chose Pelican Eyes because we did not rent a car and we wanted to stay in town. This ended up being a great choice, because you can walk to everything in San Juan Del Sur in five minutes. If you want to go surfing, you can get a ride to a surrounding beach, a lesson and a rental for $25-$30 for the day. Similarly, you can enjoy the restaraunts and beach bars of San Juan with only a short walk.

There are various complaints that show up on tripadvisor about Pelican Eyes (too many stairs, service not good enough, etc). After staying there, we simply laughed about these reviews. If you can't walk up a few stairs, this isn't the place for you. Yes, there are stairs, but it takes literally 3 minutes to walk from the upper most pool to reception. Also, if you want people waiting on you hand and foot, go to Cancun. We found the people to be super friendly, no issues with staff and everything was amazing.

Recommendations:
1) Pelican Eyes offers a sailing trip twice a day for $50/person, which includes drinks and food. We did the afternoon cruise (2pm - 6pm) and this was one of our favorite parts of the trip. The crew on the boat had a cold beer ready for you once you finished the one in hand. Plus they brought us delicious snacks like chips/guacamole and ceviche. The views from the water are unmatched and they bring you to a private, gorgeous beach to swim. Do not miss the sailing trip - worth every penny and more.
2) If you need transportation from Managua to San Juan Del Sur, we used Adelante Express and they were absolutely fantastic and reasonably priced. Our driver stopped so we could buy waters and beers and could not have been nicer.
3) You will find significantly better value for food in town than at the Pelican Eyes restaurant. For breakfast, go to El Gato Negro. We drank delicious iced coffee, smoothies and entrees for about $8/person. For dinner, try Colibri, a 2-minute walk from the Pelican Eyes entrance. You will eat delicious food in a nice courtyard setting.
4) Even the smaller casitas have mini fridges so stock up on beers and water to enjoy in your room. There are big bubblers in the room too so we just refilled our water bottles and chilled them in the fridge. Also, we bought a nice big bottle of Nicaraguan rum for $6.50 in town!
5) If you want to grab drinks near the beach, try Henry's Iguana beach bar. The beers are $1 and you can sit overlooking the ocean.
6) Do not feel pressured to exchange dollars for cordobas when you arrive in Nica. The exchange company at the airport tries to rip you off, and every single place we went to accepts dollars. Plus everyone will give you change in cordobas so you will have some in your pocket.
7) Watch the sunset from the upper pool. Can't be beat.
8) If you end up deciding to choose a cheaper option, remember you can pay a very small fee to use Pelican Eyes' pool. Best view of sunset in San Juan.

Highly recommend Pelican Eyes!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear,

First of all thank you for your detailed review, I am positive that it will be a good guideline for future guests of San Juan del Sur. I am pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful experience at Pelican Eyes and that you decided for yourself to experience our services and accommodations. I appreciate your comments, especially those about the staff. I am happy that you enjoyed our sailing trip, we are really proud of this service. Thank you again for your contribution, we look forward being you of service again in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I'm going to keep this as brief as possible - which is difficult because it was probably the most polarizing place we've ever stayed - but I'll do so in a Pro/Con manner.

PRO:
* The property is gorgeous and their Casas are large, well built and have great views
** The pools are amazing - great views and just enough shade to protect from the wonderfully endless Nicaraguan sun
*** It is a short walk into the unique and lively Village of San Juan del Sur

CONS:
* The service leaves MUCH to be desired. I'm purposely trying to not be critical of the actual people as I believe the training for the employees is extremely weak and they are doing their best. Despite my wife being proficient in Spanish, the ability to communicate confidently with almost any staff member was minimal, including the Front Desk where only one nice young lady spoke any English. I don't intend for this to be a predictable "American rant," rather, the Manager of the hotel said 75% of their guests are from the US or Canada; therefore, English should be made a top priority for all customer-facing guests.
** Although the actual pools are great, there is literally 1 chair for every 10 guests of the hotel - and the majority of them are broken. Since the staff can rarely be found, you're left to fend for yourself. This just shouldn't happen at a luxury property.
*** The food - regardless of the restaurant on property - became a game for us by day 3...You'd order chicken, you'd get steak. You'd order medium cooked, it would come rare. You'd order a beer, you'd get a margarita, two people would order the same thing, you'd get 2 different items. This wasn't one server or a particular time of the day, it was literally every meal and every single server. Again, it comes down to training and preparation of the staff.
**** Maybe the most difficult thing to deal with was the character that strut around the property - at all times drinking beer - announcing to anyone within ear shot that he was the the President of the property. We honestly found his aloofness comical - he cruised around the place a) like HE was on vacation b) his property operated with the seamless efficiency of a Ritz Carlton and c) he never once asked a customer how their stay was or what they could be helped with. After seeing this guy in action, the frustrating and polarizing experiences we had here made great sense. The property was being run by either incompetent or disinterested management/ownership. It's ironic that the best 2 things about the property - the views and construction/lay-out of the property - are not to be credited to current ownership (who bought it out of bankruptcy), rather all the things wrong with the place - service, food quality and guest experience - fall squarely at their feet.

In closing, by expecting and embracing the ultimate lack of service, but enjoying the natural beauty of the area and property, this is a good value but by no means should this be considered a luxury property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear,

Thank you very much taking the time to write this detailed review. I am pleased hearing that you enjoyed our Casas and pools. Furthermore I would like to indicate that I am aware of the fact that there is still room for improvement in our services provided, that is also why I am grateful for your constructive criticism. Since your last visit there have been improvements; there will no longer occur problems regarding the pool chairs, we have started a new training method for the staff of Pelican Eyes, more trainings in customer attention, different initial trainings and language courses, amongst others.
Again I would like to thank you for your contribution, receiving feedback like yours is a great tool to keep on further improving ourselves. We look forward to seeing you again in the future to show you our improvements and to give you the service you deserve.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Absolutely loved this hotel. The room was beautiful, French doors that opened up to a huge balcony with a view of the beach and the ocean. The room was spacious, the grounds are beautiful and the pools were lovely. My only reason for not giving 5 stars was that one night a wedding party was allowed to shoot fireworks right behind our room and the party booked one entire pool area for 2 days. The live music coupled with the fireworks and everyone was awake until 2 AM. I'm sure this was an exception, not the norm and I cannot say enough things about how lovely the rooms are in Pelican Eyes.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view, sitting on the balcony looking out at the water is amazing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear,

First of all thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our resort and enjoyed our accommodations. I am sorry to hear that you had an inconvenient experience due to a wedding party. This is however, as you also mention an exception. We look forward being you of service again in the future (with a more tranquil atmosphere).

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Apparently a visitor's opinion of Pelican Eyes is highly dependent on the particular unit you end up in and how much you pay for it. I had Cabina Jasmin, the frontmost bungalow on the property, so the least amount of steps. Just a few meters from the main pool and restaurant, yet completely private, with a huge private terrace and spectacular views. Add to that a fantastic bargain via Jetsetter, and it's hard to ask for much more. The only negative I could add would be the comically high prices in the restaurant - NYC prices in dirt cheap SJdS.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear,

Thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay at in accommodation Jasmin and at our resort. Thank you for your contribution. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Pelican Eyes is great. We loved our time there. We stayed 5 days and enjoyed every one. Downtown SJDS is a lot of fun too. Great Pizza, fun fishing, and the weather is outstanding. Enjoyed the wonderful spa during our stay, spent a little time in the canopy tour. Will definitely stay there again if in the area.

Room Tip: Bungalow on the top of the hill. Heres the "tip" being on top of the ridge, gets the eas...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear,

Firstly thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am pleased hearing that you enjoyed the 5 days you stayed at our resort. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan del Sur
Free internet...
Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort
Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort
#8 of 20 in San Juan del Sur
4.5 of 5 stars 165 reviews
Romantic, Free...
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolo...
#6 of 20 in San Juan del Sur
Surf Ranch Action Sports Resort
Surf Ranch Action Sports Resort
#16 of 20 in San Juan del Sur
4.0 of 5 stars 133 reviews

Been to Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!