My girlfriend and I stayed at Pelican Eyes for three nights in April and we absolutely loved it. If you want to stay in the actual town of San Juan Del Sur, you will not find a better hotel than Pelican Eyes. The views are breathtaking, the pools are gorgeous and the casitas are fantastic.
After extensive research on every hotel in the area, we chose Pelican Eyes because we did not rent a car and we wanted to stay in town. This ended up being a great choice, because you can walk to everything in San Juan Del Sur in five minutes. If you want to go surfing, you can get a ride to a surrounding beach, a lesson and a rental for $25-$30 for the day. Similarly, you can enjoy the restaraunts and beach bars of San Juan with only a short walk.
There are various complaints that show up on tripadvisor about Pelican Eyes (too many stairs, service not good enough, etc). After staying there, we simply laughed about these reviews. If you can't walk up a few stairs, this isn't the place for you. Yes, there are stairs, but it takes literally 3 minutes to walk from the upper most pool to reception. Also, if you want people waiting on you hand and foot, go to Cancun. We found the people to be super friendly, no issues with staff and everything was amazing.
1) Pelican Eyes offers a sailing trip twice a day for $50/person, which includes drinks and food. We did the afternoon cruise (2pm - 6pm) and this was one of our favorite parts of the trip. The crew on the boat had a cold beer ready for you once you finished the one in hand. Plus they brought us delicious snacks like chips/guacamole and ceviche. The views from the water are unmatched and they bring you to a private, gorgeous beach to swim. Do not miss the sailing trip - worth every penny and more.
2) If you need transportation from Managua to San Juan Del Sur, we used Adelante Express and they were absolutely fantastic and reasonably priced. Our driver stopped so we could buy waters and beers and could not have been nicer.
3) You will find significantly better value for food in town than at the Pelican Eyes restaurant. For breakfast, go to El Gato Negro. We drank delicious iced coffee, smoothies and entrees for about $8/person. For dinner, try Colibri, a 2-minute walk from the Pelican Eyes entrance. You will eat delicious food in a nice courtyard setting.
4) Even the smaller casitas have mini fridges so stock up on beers and water to enjoy in your room. There are big bubblers in the room too so we just refilled our water bottles and chilled them in the fridge. Also, we bought a nice big bottle of Nicaraguan rum for $6.50 in town!
5) If you want to grab drinks near the beach, try Henry's Iguana beach bar. The beers are $1 and you can sit overlooking the ocean.
6) Do not feel pressured to exchange dollars for cordobas when you arrive in Nica. The exchange company at the airport tries to rip you off, and every single place we went to accepts dollars. Plus everyone will give you change in cordobas so you will have some in your pocket.
7) Watch the sunset from the upper pool. Can't be beat.
8) If you end up deciding to choose a cheaper option, remember you can pay a very small fee to use Pelican Eyes' pool. Best view of sunset in San Juan.
Highly recommend Pelican Eyes!
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort And Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Tingo, Tablet Hotels, Agoda, EasyToBook, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.