I'm going to keep this as brief as possible - which is difficult because it was probably the most polarizing place we've ever stayed - but I'll do so in a Pro/Con manner.
* The property is gorgeous and their Casas are large, well built and have great views
** The pools are amazing - great views and just enough shade to protect from the wonderfully endless Nicaraguan sun
*** It is a short walk into the unique and lively Village of San Juan del Sur
* The service leaves MUCH to be desired. I'm purposely trying to not be critical of the actual people as I believe the training for the employees is extremely weak and they are doing their best. Despite my wife being proficient in Spanish, the ability to communicate confidently with almost any staff member was minimal, including the Front Desk where only one nice young lady spoke any English. I don't intend for this to be a predictable "American rant," rather, the Manager of the hotel said 75% of their guests are from the US or Canada; therefore, English should be made a top priority for all customer-facing guests.
** Although the actual pools are great, there is literally 1 chair for every 10 guests of the hotel - and the majority of them are broken. Since the staff can rarely be found, you're left to fend for yourself. This just shouldn't happen at a luxury property.
*** The food - regardless of the restaurant on property - became a game for us by day 3...You'd order chicken, you'd get steak. You'd order medium cooked, it would come rare. You'd order a beer, you'd get a margarita, two people would order the same thing, you'd get 2 different items. This wasn't one server or a particular time of the day, it was literally every meal and every single server. Again, it comes down to training and preparation of the staff.
**** Maybe the most difficult thing to deal with was the character that strut around the property - at all times drinking beer - announcing to anyone within ear shot that he was the the President of the property. We honestly found his aloofness comical - he cruised around the place a) like HE was on vacation b) his property operated with the seamless efficiency of a Ritz Carlton and c) he never once asked a customer how their stay was or what they could be helped with. After seeing this guy in action, the frustrating and polarizing experiences we had here made great sense. The property was being run by either incompetent or disinterested management/ownership. It's ironic that the best 2 things about the property - the views and construction/lay-out of the property - are not to be credited to current ownership (who bought it out of bankruptcy), rather all the things wrong with the place - service, food quality and guest experience - fall squarely at their feet.
In closing, by expecting and embracing the ultimate lack of service, but enjoying the natural beauty of the area and property, this is a good value but by no means should this be considered a luxury property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and Despegar.com so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort And Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur