After spending a week working at a medical mission outside Managua, my wife and I took our 5 month old daughter and headed South to do some sightseeing. Our mission guide had recommended Pelican Eyes in San Juan del Sur and said it was the nicest resort in the country. She helped me make reservations and I was surprised that the rooms there were $260 per night. We ewre going to stay several nights, but only booked one night to see if it was worth the cost. The resort is high on a hill overlooking the bay and there are some stunning views. There are two areas with infinity pools that are quite nice. We ate dinner at one restaurant and it was quite good and not too overpriced. We had breakfast (which was included) at the restaurant by the lobby. It was a small breakfast buffet and was good.
A big problem with this place for us was accessibility. It looks like a large condo complex set across the hilltop. You can't easily walk from place to place and it was impossible to get around with a stroller. You had to call for a car to pick you up to take you to the pool, the lobby, or the town. We didn't feel like we were staying in a resort because everything was difficult to get to. There are rooms by the pool areas and I think those would have been much better. The room was beautiful with large windows and great views. The bed was comfortable. We asked for a crib for my daughter and got a 20 year old pack and play that smelled so strongly of urine that we didn't use it. The bathroom was beautiful and there was a large closet area. It was nice to have a mini-fridge and even a microwave in the room.
Our building was flanked by two identical half-built buildings that look like they were aborted years ago. Most of the grounds look nice, but there are places where the walkway railings end and rebar is sticking out. We did see a crew painting the walls and most of the place was kept up well.
Don't get me wrong, this place is nice, and if you get a room where you can walk to the pool area, it might feel like a resort. But, for a country that has really nice accomodations for a third of the price, it is not worth it. We walked around San Juan del Sur and weren't impressed with the town. The beach was so dirty and trash-strewn that we would never consider going into the water. Unless you are a surfer or going on excursions, I didn't think the town had much to offer. We left after one night and headed to Ometepe (which I would highly recommend).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Splendia, Odigeo, Travelocity, Agoda, HotelTravel.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort And Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur