Had a very good stay at Pelican Eyes. Probably one of the better hotels in the town and sits up on a hill protected from sleepy/yet chaotic downtown. I suspect the town is typically more sleepy but we stayed during Easter week and things were a bit crazy. The hotel has plenty of security, but once again I'm not sure if that was due to the influx of people in for the holiday. Tons of hostiles and surfers which was a fun vibe.
We stayed in a beautiful room with a breathtaking view, although from speaking to other hotel guests, all of the views are excellent with a spacious bathroom and living area. The bathroom had two shower heads which was fun and unique :) Make sure you bring your own shampoo, ect if you are picky about hotel toiletries. It can get rather windy that high up on the mountain and the windows/doors kind of jiggle around at night, but a very tropical feel to it.
What everyone says about the stairs are absolutely true, however, we actually enjoyed climbing them after all of the eating and drinking we had done all day.
They do let people in from outside of hotel to use the pool which isn't ideal, but didn't ruin our day. They also need more pool chairs, seems to be a shortage, however when we asked reception for more, they brought two right over.
The food at the hotel was delicious, everything we ate was prepared well and tasted fantastic. We ate breakfast in town a few days which was half the price and provided some local feel, but the reality is the hotel had a much better breakfast which always included a plate of fresh fruit and bread.
Nothing in the town is too expensive but our favorite meal was at El Colibri. Seriously an amazing meal-go there!
Beaches are great but a bit tricky to get to bc the beach downtown is not relaxing and you need to head out of town. You can take the taxi through hotel or town but a bit pricey, we took the surfer shuttle with Casa Oro which is safe and more fun which was 5-10 dollars, round trip. Take a surf lesson! No beach chairs or umbrellas to rent at any beach, consider buying some in town or be comfortable with only towels.
This seems like a country/town on the verge of something big and I would recommend getting there before the masses. My one thought maybe do SJDL for 4-5 days, we were there for a week and it was plenty.
Last and most important tip, go on the Pelican Eyes sailboat!!!! Best part and you get to see beautiful beaches and step outside of the bustling country with a reliable and experienced boat Captain.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort And Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Tingo, Agoda, Tablet Hotels, EasyToBook, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.