San Juan del Sur is not lacking for lodging options but at the higher-end, the Pelican Eyes Resort is probably your best option - short of renting some of the private homes in the area. The living space is excellent and the service was solid.
We opted to stay in one of the homes. It was a wonderful place, complete with a kitchen with modern appliances. There were 2 1/2 baths and a sizable living room area. The home opened up to a wide veranda which overlooked the town, the bay and a gorgeous sunset in the evening. You will just want to sit and relax. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There were ants in the living room area but this is something that is present nearly everywhere in Nicaragua. When we called the front desk, the maintenance manager arrived promptly within a few minutes.
Please note that the homes are not really safe for kids for one main reason - the stairs going from the first floor to the second floor do not have appropriate guardrails and it is VERY easy for a child to fall down from the second floor to the first floor. I am not sure if all of the homes are like this, but ours was.
There are three pools - all of similar size. One pool, called “semi-Olympic” although not even close to being semi-Olympic in size, has the best sunset view is highly recommended. One goofy experience that we had was that we were told at check-in that two of the three swimming pools were closed during our stay. When we went to see the swimming pools anyway, we found them to be open, fully-functioning and without any problems. We asked to speak to management about their own team’s miscommunication but we never heard from any manager.
The resort has a couple restaurants but on the advice of people who have stayed here, we were discouraged from eating there. We ate in town every day as the restaurants are barely 5 minutes away by vehicle.
While we did experience some minor negatives for a resort of this caliber, overall this is a satisfactory place that will allow you to unwind in comfort while enjoying some beautiful sunsets.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Splendia, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort And Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur