Sitting on rocking chairs in the spacious veranda of our cabina, drinking Nicaraguan coffee (coffee, cofee maker, and drinking water supplied in room), eating pineapple pastries purchased in town, admiring fantastic view of tropical flora, town, and ocean, listening to birdsong and the occasional distant mono congo (holler monkey) - what's not to like? This is an exceptional resort, especially in Nicaragua.
Service is first rate; the staff is friendly, attentive and efficient. When we arrived, for example, the air conditioning unit was noisy. 5 minutes after calling reception, the maintenace crew already finished a repair and the machine was humming normally.
We had a cabina (there are also casas for larger groups), a spacious, lovely, well appointed, air conditioned room, with exceptionally comfortable mattresses. Our cabina was located in the middle of this sprawling Pelican complex, close to two beautiful pools and a restaurant. September is off-season for San Juan, so we had the pools mostly for urselves; the upper restaurant was closed. There is a third (small) pool and another restaurant at the reception area.
Another advantage of this resort is its proximity to the town and its bay. Mornings you can walk to the Malecón (beachfront street) in 10-15 minutes. Sit down at one of the fine restaurants, leave your gear, and take a dip in the ocean. Return to restaurant for a lunch of local fish, and then go swimming again. We also had supper on the beach. Our favorite restaurants were El Timón and Vivian, and for a break from typical food, La Terraza serves good pizza and pasta. El Gato Negro, in town, is also worth a visit.
One thing not to be missed is a trip to Ometepe, a large island in Lake Nicaragua. You can arrange transportation and guide at some of the tourist agencies in town (the trip at the hotel is expensive).
There is one drawback to this excellent resort: stairs, stairs. If you are not reasonably fit or physically handicapped, climbing up and down the stairs may be a challenge. There is transportation by van, but who wants to get into a vehicle several times a day? Though we are in our 60's, we walked three times a day to the middle part of the resort. At night, after a few drinks or wine, we settled for a ride.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Splendia, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort And Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur