Just returned and I want to go back real bad. For anyone looking for a hidden paradise - this is it. Morgan's Rock is a place where the natural and still wild environment sets the perfect stage for a bounty of activities - or nothing but relaxing in the sun. First there's the private mile long beach where we actually were the only ones there (except maybe for the hatching sea turtles). You can even ride horses through the surf like so many movies you've seen.
The infinity pool was our next stop. wow, then lunch under the airy palm thatched dining room/patio. The food was great and plentiful served by some of the friendliest and caring staff I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Gotta have an ice-cold Tona - the local beer - served a degree over freezing. Then up to the Cottage for a nap in the shade on the swinging porch bed. The rooms were wonderful! Very airy. Very secluded. We had ocean views of two beaches. The crashing surf and constant breeze made sleeping a nice long dream.
Our only note to possible visitors is that you will do a lot of waking and stair climbing from the beach to the lodge to the cottages. Ours was up about 300 well lit and tended steps, along a nice path through the forest - a great workout but may be too much for some.
This place has soul - from the proud Nicaraguan staff to the farm workers where they get all the eggs, dairy, poultry and much of the produce they serve at the lodge. They are reforesting the 4,000 acres with native hardwoods and fruit trees so the wildlife was everywhere. We say 3 kinds of monkeys, possums, sloths, iguanas, tons of colorful birds and even a skunk!
We took advantage of the location to visit the non-touristy town of Revas and the local market (very cool and cheap!). Then went to the hip surf town of San Juan del Sur where we feasted on a lobster dinner (3 huge tails with all the fixings) for just $12. Nicaragua is a bargain!
If you come I'd recommend 4 or more days to take it all in - a week would be heaven. And the coolest thing - it's cred as an eco-lodge in the truest sense is real. The owners and directors are all dedicated to sustainability and making it the showcase eco-lodge in Nicaragua - and it shows!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our exotic rain forest surroundings, private sandy beach and bay, secluded location and large open spaces makes Morgan's Rock an exceptional place that brings our guests peace, harmony and relaxation of the body and mind. Those wishing to relax in one of our bungalows can also discover nature, wildlife and aquatic activities through the option of a variety of tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda And Ecolodge Morgan`s Rock
- Hacienda & Ecolodge Morgan`s Rock Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Morgan's Rock Hacienda And Ecolodge Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur