I'd been dreaming about visiting Morgan's Rock for three years, ever since I read an article about it. We finally had our chance to visit over New Year's, and it was exactly what I hoped for.
The beach is gorgeous and practically isolated. We walked all the way to the left on the beach at low tide and found a hidden cave behind the rocks. We walked all the way to the right and took a path that led us to the top of the largest rock. Do NOT miss this walk - the scenery and view of the resort are breathtaking!
Sunsets over the beach are amazing - some of the best we've ever seen.
We usually chose the beach over the pool, but spent the last morning at the lovely pool. Very convenient and relaxing with lots of chairs.
Other than hiking, we also kayaked in the mangroves to see wildlife in the late afternoon with Rudolfo, a very knowledgeable guide. We also participated in the Breakfast on the Farm activity, where we milked cows, gathered eggs and ate a Nicaraguan breakfast in a tiny farmhouse. We loved this activity!
We stayed in rooms 1 and 2, which are actually considered less desirable because they don't have a beach view. I didn't mind because they were close to the restaurant and pool area, and we didn't have to use the suspension bridge every time we walked to and from our room.
The food was good, and the Nicaraguan specialties at breakfast and lunch were a real standout. Nicaraguan Tipico and the Nica Way were amazing, and I had them nearly every day. Dinner entries were nice, although I would have liked to have seen more Nicaraguan choices there too. (My picky eater, a teenager, ordered off the children's menu where she found lots to choose from. And she loved the smoothie of the day.)
I can't finish this review without talking about New Year's Eve. I'm not a fan of New Year's parties, but this one was great. The staff hosted a party on the beach, and at midnight they celebrated a Nicaraguan custom by burning an effigy that represented the old year. They also set off fireworks. They handed out party masks, and it was just a fun and sweet celebration all the way around.
Morgan's Rock is a wonderful resort, although keep in mind that life in a Central American country has its hiccups. From time to time the electricity would shut off for no more than five seconds, and the WiFi (which they're in the process of updating) was a bit hit and miss. But if you don't mind the occasional "inconvenience", don't hesitate to book Morgan's Rock. It is truly one of the most spectacular places we have stayed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our exotic rain forest surroundings, private sandy beach and bay, secluded location and large open spaces makes Morgan's Rock an exceptional place that brings our guests peace, harmony and relaxation of the body and mind. Those wishing to relax in one of our bungalows can also discover nature, wildlife and aquatic activities through the option of a variety of tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda & Ecolodge Morgan`s Rock Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hacienda And Ecolodge Morgan`s Rock
- Morgan's Rock Hacienda And Ecolodge Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur